SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    32" TV... Vizio or Samsung?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

32" TV... Vizio or Samsung? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, all. I'm tempted to buy a TV to put in a bedroom. I'm thinking 32" is plenty big, and I want to stick in the $200 range. I've surfed Best Buy and found a Samsung UN32M4500 and a Vizio D32x-D1.

They seem pretty similar, but...
* The Vizio is $30 cheaper, and stated to be 1080p while the Samsung is 720p.
* I have a Samsung already, so the Smart TV platform should be somewhat familiar. My existing Samsung has been a good one so far.

The primary use for this would be morning/nighttime news; if I want to do some serious vegging I'll go to the living room and stare at the "big" TV.

I've been to a nearby Best Buy store and had a look at these two. Based on the store display, I don't see a huge difference in picture quality, though I recognize that statement is based solely on a five-minute comparison. I didn't get to listen to either of them -- I can easily make a trip back to BB this weekend.

I've reached the point where I think to myself, "Self, you've reached analysis paralysis. Just pick one and go with it. How bad can it be, and what do you expect for just two Benjamins?" So not it's time to ask for SF's opinions.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a 1080 Samsung 32" for about $200 as we enter prime time TV buying season. I'd stay away from Vizeo due to reliability issues.

I recently sold my 32" 1080 Samsung that I bought to watch in our winter home in Mexico. It was excellent.

There is a recent thread on Vizeo.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAMSUNG by a long shot, Vizeo might be 1080p but the picture on the Samsung is still better. You really cannot tell the difference between 720 and 1080 in that size, the screen quality you will. I would go to a 40-46" tv as they really are hardly any more money these days.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Agree with jimmy.

40" Samsung 1080. It will be a great TV for a loooong time. Like when your eyes go bad and 32" becomes your PC monitor size of choice.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Going against the flow: Samsung makes good hardware, but their software quality, software security vulnerability and consumer privacy records are execrable. I wouldn't have a Samsung "smart" thing in my home.

Two of our three TVs are Samsungs, and they're great TVs, but they're both non-smart.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We have several Samsung’s and they have all been great.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I just got a Samsung 32" 1080p smart TV a month ago. It took a while to calibrate and get used to it, but I love it. No regrets.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Samsung hands down

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Samsung every day of the week.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsung

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've owned both brands and easily vote Samsung.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with a Vizio and bad luck with one. Always had good luck with Samsung except that the LCD models can have an angle of view problem, even years after they were supposed to have fixed this issue. My 65 inch washes out a bit if you get too far to one side. Latest issue (November) of Consumer Reports has an article on the latest crop of TV's.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
I have both Vizio and Samsung, both have been good. Totally reliable, the sound on the Vizio is weaker that the Samsung.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
My vote would be the Samsung in that size.

Consider checking Walmart for price comparison as they tend to beat Best Buy for that size tv.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Samsung

Vizio is the Highpoint equivalent of TVs...based on my own personal experience.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have 4 TVs in my house, all different brands. I usually just buy whatever the cheapest one in the class is. They almost all look great nowadays.

I have a 48" 4K Vizio that cost me $350 out the door about 10 months ago. I have a 32" Sharp Aquos that is almost 9 years old. I have a 46" Samsung from 2012 that I had to replace the power supply in after a lightning strike but it still looks great. And a cheap 40" RCA that's 2 years old.

I say all that to say, you're thinking about it too much. Smile Forget brand and rethink the size... 32" should only be viewed from about 6-7 feet, max.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Samsung.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung. Samsung.

Had one for years with 0 problems. Mom has a vizio and pretty quick sensor died and tv remote no longer works.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all! Looks like I need to make another trip to BB and have a listen.

Ensigmatic: thank you, too, for your opposing point of view. I do understand that "smart" appliances can be as much problem as good. Whether or not the Samsung comes home with me, I have some more network securing to do!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A year ago

Bought Vizio

Returned Vizio

Bought Samsung better picture

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post