SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Australian Teacher Quits After Islamic Students Threaten to Behead Her...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Australian Teacher Quits After Islamic Students Threaten to Behead Her... Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I might have killed off too many brain cells dying my frivolous youth, thus destroying my memory, but I think I recall reading, right here on this very forum, words from the Australian head of government (is that Prime Minister? President?).

Due to the afore-mentioned imperfect memory, I can not quote exactly, but it was something like: "If you want to come here, you're welcome, but you need to come here in acceptance of our rules, laws, and customs. If you want your Shariah Law, don't bother to come here, go someplace where that is the law."

My words, not the Australian's, but I'm sure that I'm conveying the idea correctly.

Those were great words at the time. He talked the talk. Now he needs to walk the walk.

I remember that too!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Ahhh!

That was an Aussie national TV interview, 2005?

[extract]
Treasurer Peter Costello ... hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state and its laws were made by parliament.

“If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you,” he said on national television. “I’d be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false.

If you can’t agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to other country which practices it, perhaps, then, that’s a better option,” Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country.

The simpler way Aussies might express the above is to say 'clear off'. Certainly at least one minister has said just that at sometime.

I know snopes has a 'collection' of other related commentaries from Australian ministers, with mention of the above been misleading impressions of hybrid speeches from former Prime Ministers.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
When a 'religion' starts ordering people around and threatening them, it crosses the line and becomes a criminal conspiracy.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
find the students, and take them for a bus ride to the outback

drop them off with one bottle of water

leave said students to solve their own problem

hire the teacher back and give a bonus Smile

the teacher is more valuable than the students, no one will ever miss them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe the dingo ate your jihadi....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
[snip]
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
find the students, and take them for a bus ride to the outback

There's a lot of camels out in the sands ... more likely they'll not want to leave ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
problem solved Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post