SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Adams - On Commemorating July 4th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Adams - On Commemorating July 4th Login/Join 
Picture of jtedescucci
posted
I love history. I especially love the fact that so much of what our forebears said & wrote & did is only about 250 years old, so that it is available for us to refresh ourselves with whenever we choose. Here is just a "tidbit" of what John Adams thought we ought to do each year in remembrance of that memorable day:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."....John Adams.....

"Solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty" - indeed!! I cannot help but reflect how much better off we would be if we had just followed that one bit of advice from President Adams!

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:
I love history. I especially love the fact that so much of what our forebears said & wrote & did is only about 250 years old, so that it is available for us to refresh ourselves with whenever we choose. Here is just a "tidbit" of what John Adams thought we ought to do each year in remembrance of that memorable day:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."....John Adams.....

"Solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty" - indeed!! I cannot help but reflect how much better off we would be if we had just followed that one bit of advice from President Adams!

Do you have a source? Personal reasons.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

My Independence Day tradition is to re-watch the HBO mini-series John Adams, based on David McCullough's book by the same name. It is absolutely worth the time to watch.

For whatever shortcomings he had, as well as mistakes made during his presidency, I believe it is a travesty that there is no national monument dedicated to Adams and his contributions and sacrifices in shaping our free country.

I've encountered, and enjoyed, the quote above several times over the years.

Last quote on the page...but I'd encourage you to take the time to read the others as well.

The Best John Adams Quotes

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

https://www.masshist.org/digit...id=L17760703jasecond

It is from a letter to Abigail Adams. Even more inspiring is what he writes after that.

quote:
You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

Posts: 12 | Registered: December 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think there is a lot of evidence that John Adams was actually the primary author of the Declaration of Independence. To be sure Hancock had a big hand but I believe that Adams was the primary author but just didn’t have the skill at the prose

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the track "Is Anybody There?" from the musical "1776", as sung by William Daniels playing John Adams. Think you'll recognize some of the lyrics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGuLsqDz9o

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I thought Jefferson was the primary author of the Declaration. The committee consisted of Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin. I didn’t know Hancock was involved.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger Sherman and Robert Livingston were also committee members.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
He actually said all of that about July 2.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
History.com has a very thorough article on the Declaration of Independence. Among other items, they state Jefferson wrote it, although it was originally seen as a collaborative effort.

I think what's lost on many is that the Declaration of Independence wasn't SIGNED on July 4, 1776, is was ADOPTED by the Continental Congress on that date. Which is why we celebrate the 4th as being the birth of American independence.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I've found conflicting sources, but July 2, 1776 is the date often mentioned as the day when the vote took place.

Today many assume that a group of our founders stood around waiting for the quill to be handed to them, for their chance to sign the Declaration of Independence.

While there were many members present, others were not, and signed weeks/ months later. If memory serves me, there were some members of the Congress that never did sign the document.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adams wrote to his wife Abigail, "The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America." The Continental Congress approved a resolution on July 2 that the colonies were free and independent states. The Declaration of Independence, approved on July 4, was the formal document that explained the resolution.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post