SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you mulch your vegetable garden?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you mulch your vegetable garden? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Expanding the vegetable garden this year to about 20' x 20'. Not huge, but big enough. In previous years I've used shredded cypress mulch, put it down after tilling the soil and just clear out small holes for planting. With the bigger garden, I'm looking for potentially cheaper solutions. What's everyone else using?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We are in a different part of the country. I bag leaves and keep them over the winter. About now, or april. spread them out and till them in. Do the planting about six weeks later. Been doing it for years. A very fertile garden year in and year out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I use well-aged cow manure and straw. I dump a couple of 2-1/2 yard front loader bucketfulls on the garden, then till it in before planting.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
My vegetable garden is 50 x 50.
In the Spring, I use a 5 horse tiller to amend the entire garden with 200-400 lbs of chicken manure.
Seeds and plants go in the ground around Memorial Day in rows 30" apart.
Rather than mulch, I use a small tiller to keep the weeds in tow.
Moisture is provided by a rotary sprinkler head, mounted 8' off the ground.
It is located in the center of the garden.
Used straw as mulch several years ago.
Unsatisfactory as it provided a home to numerous vermin that devoured the root crops.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you try to mulch with.
I only use maple leaves.
Sweet gum,pecan,most oaks, pine straw are toxic to your plants.
This is what I have observed over the decades.
I organic garden for probably forty years.
Wheat straw bales break down in one season if kept wet.

edit,I have St Augustine grass and all summer long the clippens goes in gardens.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
In many areas you can call the tree trimming folks and they will be happy to come dump a load of mulch in your driveway.

Keeps them from having to pay to dump it.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
It sounds like most aren't using anything on the surface. How do you keep out weeds?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
It sounds like most aren't using anything on the surface. How do you keep out weeds?

For weeds I put down brown craft paper from rolls. Thick enough to keep weeds from popping up and in the fall it gets tilled into the garden.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Weeds are one of the joys of gardening. If they are a big issue than gardening isn't for you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Dallas you have mail,hope it is ok.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Garden/Landscape fabric. Keeps weeds out, moisture in, warms the soil, and keeps neighborhood stray cats from pooping next to the zucchini.

Fabric: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Staples to hold in place: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the midwest, I mulch fall leaves and grass clippings and cover the garden in the fall. Anything extra and all kitchen waste goes in a compost pile.

In the spring, I remove the mulch from the garden,add some rich black soil from the compost pile, cover all of it with newspaper, and put the mulch back on top. The newspaper acts like a weed blocker and the mulch keeps the soil moist. By fall, the paper is mostly gone or ready for the compost pile.

Posts: 2367 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Newspaper works well.
As does the black plastic or cloth that is weed barrier..
I would never use Tree company chipper dump.. in my garden.. You may be adding Poison Ivy.. or other toxic to your plants items.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Newspaper works well.
As does the black plastic or cloth that is weed barrier..
I would never use Tree company chipper dump.. in my garden.. You may be adding Poison Ivy.. or other toxic to your plants items.
Does the weed cloth drain well enough to be used alone without water pooling?

Si vis pacem para bellum

posted Hide Post
Back when I had a large garden I first put down several thicknesses of newspaper, then I wet it down and covered it with several inches of leaves.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post