SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinion on Polk stereo speakers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Polk stereo speakers Login/Join 
posted
I was considering buying a pair of Polk RTi a5 speakers. I was wondering if anybody here has a pair and if so, are you happy with them? I realize this is highly subjective but I don’t know where I could audition a pair.

I’m not looking to raise the roof, just looking for clean sound. I would be powering them with a vintage Harmon Kardon 330B which puts out 18 or 20 watts.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had Polk Monitor 10Ds back in the '80s. Wonderful speakers that I powered with a Harmon Kardon 25w/ch. amp. I can't speak to the current Polk offerings, but if you are running 20w/channel, make sure that they are fairly sensitive, so that you get good response from fairly low power.

Harmon Kardon generally provides good, clean power, so you might be fine in a reasonable room, but you won't be raising the roof.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I've been using a pair of TSi200 Bookshelf Speakers the last eight years in my study. I love them; they're the goldilocks of sound for that room.

I have vintage Technics receiver powering them. Occasionally I'll throw an album on, but mostly listen to the Echo dot.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Not a bad little vintage receiver, I would try finding a nice set of vintage bookshelf's from the likes of EPI, ADS or even Advents. There's gobs of neat vintage gear on epay but be warned it gets addictive.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I considered those and Klipsch. Ended up with a pair of Elac 6.1.

Definitely not disappointed. Wink

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-De...+%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greyeyezz,
Don’t worry, I can’t afford another addiction.

posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Polk RTA 12 speakers. Am clueless as to the amp driving them, as I bought the package at a local auction recently.

Sound is exceptionally clear.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Polk M5s from 1984, and they still sound great. I have an old NAD 2140 driving them with an Advent 300 preamp. I like em.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
I have a pair of Polk M5s from 1984, and they still sound great. I have an old NAD 2140 driving them with an Advent 300 preamp. I like em.

That is old school cool!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Polks from the late 80s early 90s out in the barn along with some Bose 301s they both played good but haven't seen use in over 10 years. Cones are probably rotted. I've got a couple of Sony receivers and other assorted 80s gear I've been meaning to hook up someplace.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My woofer is a Polk, works perfectly.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Polk is a good brand. I have a Polk a pair of Rt2000p from the 80s. They are in a surround system. I like um.
The sound is completely subjective. You receiver power may be a little light for those speakers. That is based on you room room size, how it’s set up and your listening levels. They put out out 90 dB at one one watt.
Speakers like Klipsch have higher output with the same wattage. Your receiver would not have to work as hard for volume.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_...eference-R-620F.html

Side note..I own Polk, but I sold Klipsch speakers years ago in Germany. Paul Klipsch came to Germany to pick up a car at the factory. We had lunch and I got him to turn the ring on the fountain in Nuremberg. He did seminars for the GI’s in Furth and some other cities. He was brilliant about audio. He took his time with the folks that attended. He handed out “Bullshit” buttons.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Few months ago someone locally was practically giving away a pair of Polk RTA-12's on CL, guess because they were so large. I almost grabbed them just because but thought I would need more amperage. I blew it. Looked like these.

e1536e5a0309e52724a9c515ceaa3e0b [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I was considering buying a pair of Polk RTi a5 speakers. I was wondering if anybody here has a pair and if so, are you happy with them? I realize this is highly subjective but I don’t know where I could audition a pair.

I’m not looking to raise the roof, just looking for clean sound. I would be powering them with a vintage Harmon Kardon 330B which puts out 18 or 20 watts.

Yeah, it's too bad you can't listen to something.
Even if you listen in a store (not that there are any out there anymore Frown) they won't sound the same as your own environment.
Anyway Polk is a solid brand but how they sound to you in your environment with your material is only up to you.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are ordered so it shouldn’t take long.
Thank you for the replies.