SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot at my supermarket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot at my supermarket Login/Join 
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted
For a few months now we've had a roaming Robot named MARTY. I asked people I knew that are employed there and was told it roams the isles and such for any unsafe conditions. This looks like the Robot from lost in space. 5+ feet tall it even has googly eye's. The markets name is Giant here in Pa. I kid you not, the company (Giant) is being sued for sexual harassment. Apparently it bumped a ladies cart and the cart bumped her butt. Funny shit. BTW Marty is the name given by the Robot manufacturer. There are multiple cameras on this thing and I highly doubt they are all looking for safety concerns. Pickle Rick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pickle Rick,

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Couple of the WalMarts around here have a robot that stalks the aisles scanning the shelves. Wish it had googley eyes. I mean, they sell them in the craft department anyway, the giant ones, less than $2.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I feel ripped off or backwoods. I've never seen a robot wandering around in any of our stores...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
We have them here in RI at stop n shop.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ripped off or backwoods. I've never seen a robot wandering around in any of our stores.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe they could make a robot like Cas Walker!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
coming soon to your sector....BnB facilities with available robo-tours of prominent Silicon Citizens....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Our local Wallmart has those annoying screens on certain isles. So while I am standing there looking at fishing lures, it keeps beeping at me, even has a light shined on me so I 'know' I am being monitored.

I will often turn, look at the camera, show them the lure (or other product) and then put it back and walk away. It is so annoying.

I am surprised they have not updated the software to see if we are social distancing on the isle "Please turn around and enter from the correct end and orientation"

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
can they detect a fart in aisle 8? Big Grin

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of them are used for monitoring inventory.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local Menards (big box hardware/lumber) has a cleaning 'robot' that was implemented at the start of covid. It drives around - constantly scrubbing the floor - flashing light on top - constantly beeping LOUDLY like a big rig when backing up. If you get within 10ft of it - it stops and beeps quicker. I bet it takes an hour to make one trip around the store. You can hear the been regardless of where you are in the store. Between the masks and this stupid thing it must be hell to work there.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Ours do not clean anything. Not sure if it's COVID related but my last few visits Marty was taking a break docked by mens room. No docking station there though. O'well. Pickle Rick

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pickle Rick:
Ours do not clean anything. Not sure if it's COVID related but my last few visits Marty was taking a break docked by mens room. No docking station there though. O'well. Pickle Rick

Waiting in line but social distancing from the filthy humans.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
can they detect a fart in aisle 8? Big Grin

SBD?

Posts: 23371 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have seen the same robot, possibly at the same Giant. I have named it IG-88.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
My Giant is located in Lititz. Pickle Rick.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m Gumby damnit!!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Every time I hear about some damn machine taking over a human job, smoke starts coming out of my ears! Grrrrr Mad

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Did it squeeze your Charmin?

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post