SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone recently received a new Passport?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone recently received a new Passport? Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My daughter got her first passport this year.

They had an issue with the photo that was submitted, but even with that issue I think it was less than 8 weeks total.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
I got mine in less than three weeks without expedited service. Did it in January 2017. New application, not a renewal.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
My son just got his and he got it in 2.5 weeks. My wife got hers, expedited for a booked trip, and got it in 10 days.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Just received mine, took 3.5 weeks for a renewal.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I paid the expedited fee.

Applied on April 13th
State Dept check cashed April 20th
Received April 24th.

... that was fast service, not expecting the new passport until the first week of May!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am in the renewal process right now. I spoke to someone at the Dept of State today. She was very kind and helpful.

6-8 weeks is what I was told to expect.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
and it looks like another $60 for that.

Oh no. I had to renew mine in January for a February trip.

It's a $60 expedite fee, and a $20 expedited mailing fee, and they also wanted a doc review fee ($25 I think).

I opted for the mailing fee, but once I found out that the "doc review" consisted of the guy at the post office looking to make sure I included the picture and a check, I took a pass.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Just renewed mine in March. Got mine back in 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't take any chances though. I hear horror stories...

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Good news for me. Turns out a passport is not required to paddle in to Canadian waters (Quetico Wilderness). I still plan on getting it but there is no longer a rush.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good news for me. Turns out a passport is not required to paddle in to Canadian waters (Quetico Wilderness). I still plan on getting it but there is no longer a rush.
Are you referring to this?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

No but thanks for that. I was referring to this.
http://www.anderson-outfitters.../bwcaw-entry-points/

I've used these guys once before. They provide a jet boat shuttle to get you a start on a deeper edge of the park. There is one stop to check in with the Canadian park service, declare booze, check ID etc. This outfitter deals with them every day so this should be golden.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've used these guys once before. They provide a jet boat shuttle to get you a start on a deeper edge of the park. There is one stop to check in with the Canadian park service, declare booze, check ID etc. This outfitter deals with them every day so this should be golden.
In this case the info matches, but I always go to official Canadian and US sites for answers on border crossing policies.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Just did ours. Did not pay expedited (Postal worker who helped us told us to save our money - very nice and professional gentleman)

Took about 3 weeks.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BRL:
Are you referring to this?[/QUOTE

In this case the info matches, but I always go to official Canadian and US sites for answers on border crossing policies.

The plot thickens. I emailed the outfitter just to double check with him and he replied back with this
quote:
Good morning Scott:
Yes you do need a passport going into Canada. You do not need a border crossing permit because we have Canadian Customs here. I will check my website on this because you do need a passport.

posted Hide Post
The biggest factors are: how close you are to a Passport Issuance/Renewal center, and how busy they are.

My wife is Canadian, and wanted to take our 22 month old daughter to her parent's house, this was April 2016. We went to the local Post Office on a Saturday, got the pics taken there and did the paperwork. I had forgotten my birth certificate (I was doing a renewal) so I had to go back on Monday. We had my daughter's on Tuesday, and mine came that Thursday. Portsmouth, NH is the local center, and the PO we used is a 40 min drive away.

Basically, it can be super fast, or 6 weeks. All the luck of the draw. Have fun on your trip.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Between 3 and 4 weeks.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post