SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone recently received a new Passport?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone recently received a new Passport? Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
Wondering how long it has taken. Not a renewal as I understand that is quicker. Thinking about getting one (with my adult son also) for a canoe trip we are planning that might bring us into Canada. Ideally I'd like to go around early to mid July, maybe even late June and wonder if I'm too optimistic about getting it in time.

Internet searches bring up a variety from 4-6 weeks to 3-6 months.

I also understand one can pay to have it expedited but it's expensive enough and it looks like another $60 for that.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had mine renewed a couple of months ago, I know that's not what you're looking for, but took about a month and a half. I've heard the passport cards (all you'd need for Canada), come back fairly fast.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
State department says 6 to 8 weeks so I would advise starting the process tonight. Two options:
  • Link for doing it through the State Department
  • Link for doing it through the USPS

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just got mine back last week. Took almost exactly 3 weeks from the time I mailed it to receipt of new. Standard fee, no expedited service.
    Caveat-this was for a renewal. If you are starting from scratch I'd assume a bit longer.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just for the
    hell of it
    Picture of comet24
    posted Hide Post
    State Department estimate are normally good. If there is no issue you will likely have it back before their listed times.

I renewed a few months ago and got it back in around 3 weeks. Much quicker then the listed times.

If your going July and can get the paperwork in the next week you should be fine. Should still be fine even in late June as long as you get all the stuff in quickly.

Otherwise look into the expedited service if you can't get it all together quickly.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not easy being me
    posted Hide Post
    My 15 year old daughter applied for a Passport for the first time in January.
    Even though 6-8 weeks is the recommended time-frame, it only took 2-1/2 to 3 weeks for her Passport to arrive. Same as Powers77, standard fee, nothing expedited.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Mine had expired 5+ years prior so renewal wasn't available. It took about a month. This was last year. I also paid the extra few dollars for the credit card sized passport ID.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    pay the expedition fee, or pay a passport service (even faster for about the same money).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stop Talking, Start Doing
    posted Hide Post
    It'll take 6-8 weeks from time of application. Probably more like a month.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Loves His Wife
    Picture of BRL
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys and thanks for the links Tatortodd.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enjoy Computer Living
    Picture of LoungeChair
    posted Hide Post
    I renewed recently and paid for the expedited service. It took about 2 weeks as I recall.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by LoungeChair:
    I renewed recently and paid for the expedited service. It took about 2 weeks as I recall.

Same for me a couple years ago.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Music's over turn
    out the lights
    Picture of David W
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for reminding me a new need to renew mine.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ironmike57
    posted Hide Post
    Me too. I got a call for a week long job(nice money)in the Bahamas. The producer asked me for my passport number. Expired by about 5 weeks. Crap.

quote:
    Originally posted by David W:
    Thanks for reminding me a new need to renew mine.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rinehart
    posted Hide Post
    We have done the expedited path in the past.

Just did a renewal and requested the cards. We got the passports themselves back after about 6 weeks. It took the cards another 3 weeks to arrive.

I felt it was fairly costly to do four family passports.

Here the challenge was getting someone to answer the phone to schedule the passport appointment at the PO and then getting an appointment slot.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post
    5 weeks

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    chillin out
    Picture of florida boy
    posted Hide Post
    My daughter got one last year and as I recall it was around 5 or 6 weeks.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
    It's better to wear out than rust out
    Member NRA
    Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jbcummings
    posted Hide Post
    I believe passports are processed regionally, so it may depend upon what region you're in. Mine was processed in Austin, Texas for example. WI maybe processed elsewhere (maybe Chicago?).

———-
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of downtownv
    posted Hide Post
    3 weeks from start to finish.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    My daughter's passport took about a month to arrive I believe it was. She had it in hand before she was three months old.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post