SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waze - do you use it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waze - do you use it? Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
We use it frequently. Some may find the alerts a bit annoying depending on the quantity of alerts you get in your area.

Many complain about too many "false" LEO alerts. Get this ... cops actually MOVE around a bit from place to place. Who would have known!

Waze is a "crowd-source" platform that works as well as it can work with the information it collects. To my knowledge, the only passive info the app gets is your speed. (It may also get long-term construction info from the state DOTs.) It uses that information to determine traffic volume on the road.

The active information you provide enhances the information. If a cop is on the side of the road for five minutes, a few drivers will inform Waze and you'll be notified. If the cop leaves, it certainly will take some time for drivers (passengers) to update Waze and for Waze to clear the notification.

We've been screwed more times by NOT following the suggestions provided by Waze than following the suggestions. Just last week, we were heading to my mom's for dinner during rush hour. We thought the suggested route provided was nuts and we went a different way. Got screwed and a 45 minute drive turned into one hour.

As for Apple Play, it's just a device in your car that allows you to control the iPhone. Maybe you can duplicate the screen? I tried it once on a rental, and it sucked. I have no issues playing podcasts, listening to music or making calls with a standard Bluetooth setup.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s great. Coupled with a radar detector and it’s nearly unstoppable.

Plug your phone in WHILE you drive and battery life is a non-issue.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've used it occasionally, but as GPS navigation on the roads goes I really prefer my Garmin over Waze or the Google Maps app on my phone.

The goods have been mentioned: near real-time advice on debris, crashes, police, and so forth.
The bads have been mentioned: it sucks a battery down in NO time.

As actual navigation goes, though, I still think the Garmin is the best device I have. I think I'd like to see Waze integrated into the Garmin units.

I feel like I'm full-on geek when I run Waze, as I've got the Garmin up on the dash and the phone in the cup holder, each barking at me occasionally. Along with the radio and some wind noise (open windows/sunroof), it can sometimes be easy to miss good information.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
where do you get a refurb Garmin. I have an old small one that I still use but would like one with larger screeen.
I got mine on eBay. Search for the Garmin model you want, then look for "manufacturer refurbished."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan, still use it, but I noticed it has its faults. Just last week in Denver, twice it had me exit a highway only to get back on and make a u turn and go the same way. I assume there must be glitches in the system that need to be fixed but overall I think it’s better than the standard google app.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally do not use it, buy my GF does. We just returned from a 900 mile vacation roundtrip and it saved us all kinds of time on various freeways. While I drove, she would scan the app for traffic delays/accidents/cops/etc ahead on our route. On one occasion there was a HUGE wreck on I-75 about 50 miles ahead of us. She routed (via Waze) alternate roads that resulted in no delays. Funny thing, you can see other drivers who are using it... as you'll be driving on roads where no humans live, yet there's 50 cars all going the same way avoiding the accident. I'd have my Garmin GPS up and giving the general route, while she monitored the Waze.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I really like WAZE and use it on my daily drive, mostly.

Before leaving the house to head in to work and before leaving to drive home, I'll do a quick WAZE route recon to see if any issues are currently happening along the normal route and get an ETA. Then I turn it back off. The majority of the time, this is all I need. Sometimes I will run with it on the whole time, ( plugged into the charger, of course ) when I'm in a hurry and will be even more on watch for the police.

I am somewhat curious if a police officer, while parked and waiting on speeders, if the officer had WAZE up and running, could they delete the reports of their presence made by passing WAZERers?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I use it and love it. I deliver time sensitive radio active meds. Getting to my destination on time is imperative. Gladdys(the woman's synthetic voice) has saved my bacon many times. It is pretty much dead on with the ETA to your location.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use Waze daily to be informed of traffic conditions and police activity, and only occasionally for navigation when I don't already know my preferred route to a destination. The navigation built in to my car, and Google Maps as well seem to be more accurate than Waze's navigation, but of course, without the extras. I suspect Waze tries to be too smart with its navigation suggestions, updates too frequently, and values a lone driver's "good trip" too highly over an average trip via the same route.

My android phone interacts with my car's infotainment LED display via the "Android Auto" app. This makes it easy to contribute to the community by reporting road conditions and speed traps, and I try to be proactive in this regard.

WRT the reports, don't believe everything you're told, some people (cops?) will report traps that are not there. I remember coming back to DC from Pgh. on the PA Turnpike in the middle of the night a few years back when someone ahead of me on the road was laying down a speed trap report every 20 miles or so. A trooper trying to encourage folks to slow down was my guess. After passing about three or four nonexistent speed traps, I just ignored these reports.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Nope, Google.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge fan of Waze. Cops and traffic jams are the best uses imo.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Apple maps – Best map display.
Google maps – Best for pedestrian routes.
Waze maps – Worst map display. Other issues too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is much better than my garmin, but waze still is not 100% correct.

There are 2 places we went recently that were not right. The first place, it took us the long way.
The second, it would not get us there, within a block, but when it said arriving, we were a block past the place.

Most of the time it is good.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I used to. I now use Apple Maps. It interacts with my Apple Watch. Works great.

That was one of the reasons I quickly switched back. I can start a route and put my phone back in my pocket. My watch tells me how far to the next turn, the direction of that turn and the name of the street/road. Then it buzzes my wrist when it's time to make the turn. Works amazingly well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I use it and I like it. It's very easy to use. The combination of traffic monitoring with police monitoring are really helpful.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I use it occasionally but use Google maps 95% of the time.

Around here with all the traffic and cars on the road, it alerts way too much. Don't need alerts forever car on the side of the road and often they are not there anymore.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I love it and use it all the time; even when I know where I am going in case there is an accident or something I don’t know about. A few times it asks you to do something silly and I just ignore those. Other times I have had it tell me to exit the interstate when I needed to stay on, but I listened and glad I did as there was then an accident ahead and traffic was backed up so I was able to stay on the access road and then get back onto the interstate. I only use it while I have it plugged into power in my vehicle as yes it will drain your battery. I have been saved many a times of getting pulled over by speed trap alerts.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I use it occasionally but use Google maps 95% of the time.

Around here with all the traffic and cars on the road, it alerts way too much. Don't need alerts forever car on the side of the road and often they are not there anymore.

You can disable the vehicle on the side of the road alert so you don’t get it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Hell ya, I love it.

Just recently uploaded my own voice prompts to it...it’s freaking hilarious and every prompt includes an inappropriate sexual comment directed at myself.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post