SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Göbekli Tepe - Blows away what we know about humankinds developement. 7,000 years older than the Great Pyrmids!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Göbekli Tepe - Blows away what we know about humankinds developement. 7,000 years older than the Great Pyrmids! Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
This is insane. Before the wheel, written language, pottery, or metallurgy we built this. How? Seven millennia before the Pyramids, 4,000 years before Stonehenge. Then for some unknown reason it was purposely buried. Why?

I find this amazing, this makes me want to find out how this was possible. Did we completely screw up human history and development? How did people who could not write or figure out the use of the wheel manage to move 20 ton rocks? How did they acquire the knowledge to mine them or make these relief carvings?

I am going to be doing some more reading. This seems impossible. Anyone else even aware this place existed?

National Geographic

Wikipedia

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good thing they weren't gluten free, eh?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this, wow! Mind officially blown.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Great video, thank you for posting, skins.

I think we are guilty of believing that our ancient ancestors were less intelligent than we are. I imagine that evolution theory colors this notion. I know I am guilty of looking at our forebears in this manner.

If the dating is correct, and we may never know for sure, one thing this discovery does is shift some weight back to the idea that the cradle of mankind is central-western Asia.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

I think we are guilty of believing that our ancient ancestors were less intelligent than we are. I imagine that evolution theory colors this notion. I know I am guilty of looking at our forebears in this manner.

Very good point!

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
Fascinating! I see hours of fun/research in my future. Thanks for posting.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh too much, but Ancient Aliens had a segment on this.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:I think we are guilty of believing that our ancient ancestors were less intelligent than we are. I imagine that evolution theory colors this notion. I know I am guilty of looking at our forebears in this manner.

That's probably true for most of us. We equate modern knowledge to intelligence. I'm not sure that evolution really factors in very much over such a short span of time. It's probably got more to do with migration and expanding the knowledge base. Still, those early people had the capacity to recognize what they needed to and learn from it.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Don't laugh too much, but Ancient Aliens had a segment on this.

Yes, and IIRC, it was one of the more objective episodes. The show was actually decently interesting the first season or two.

Back on topic, I'm in the camp that thinks we have forgotten one hell of a lot of important things from our past rather than were helped by ET. However, if I find I'm wrong about that I won't be astonished.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I think we know a lot less about our distant past than we think we do.

Imagine if our generation left no written word and thousands of years from now someone tried to reconstruct our society based on nothing but fossilized objects. I'm sure their attempts would be hilarious to us.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting! Very interesting!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't ya like a crack at the books of the Ancient Library of Alexandria?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Yup, this turns a lot of peoples' beliefs onto their collective ears. They say this every time a new wrinkle is unearthed.

It's a damned significant find, that's for certain. But I have to wonder what else is buried out there on this vast earth. Or sunk in its' oceans for that matter. I sometimes like to fantasize that you can find these things out for what they are and where they fit in the big picture, after you die.

Imagine what they'll dig up tomorrow?

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's not out of the realm to consider that many civilizations rose and fell creating, and then taking to the grave, technology to which we have given credit to later civilizations for inventing. To say this particular civilization did all this without this knowledge or that widget is pure speculation based on a somewhat piecemeal understanding of the shreds of ancient history that we actually know about.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster: Imagine if our generation left no written word and thousands of years from now someone tried to reconstruct our society based on nothing but fossilized objects. I'm sure their attempts would be hilarious to us.

http://sultanaeducation.org/wp...steries-Macaulay.pdf

I remember reading this satire piece years ago and i believe that yes, our modern world would be misinterpreted.

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:

I was thinking more along these lines....

Seriously though, this is exciting to me. How is it we have the timeline of human development/innovation so wrong? How many times have there been technologically advanced civilizations that came and went *before* written history?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Can someone enlighten me where these two images came from? Was the first Planet of the Apes?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Can someone enlighten me where these two images came from? Was the first Planet of the Apes?

2001: A Space Odyssey

And Stargate

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post