SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter's first IDPA match... she won High Junior!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter's first IDPA match... she won High Junior! Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Local IDPA match yesterday. I took my 16-year-old girl along for her first of three allowed IDPA "try it out" matches. She has shot about 3 non-IDPA handgun matches with me before, shooting a ruger 22/45 and starting from the 45-degree position, but this was her first match drawing from a holster, using concealment or cover, or shooting a centerfire pistol in a match. She had shot maybe a few rounds through this M&P CORE 9L at the range but not for more than a year, and she shot it very accurately, with lots of down zeros. It was a beautiful, clear day, with 10 stages of typical IDPA strangeness, holding babies in one hand, shooting pickup guns (LCP), drop-turners, swingers, shooting through barrels, 180 traps, etc. but she navigated all of it with aplomb and said she loves IDPA. I guess we'll have to get her a legal belt setup now. Big Grin

I registered her in NFC division due to the optic but she found it confused her and basically ignored the dot, so after a couple of stages, and confirming that she indeed was not using the dot at all, I removed the RMR and she pretty much ended up shooting ESP all day.

I shot my German P226, slowly but pretty accurately (I won most accurate overall, but placed second in SSP Expert, a laughable 50 seconds behind the winner, who had 41 points down. I had 12 points down but he still beat me because he averaged 5 seconds a stage faster and still shot pretty accurately. Plus I got a couple procedurals because I have a hard time not dropping a mag with one round in it when I have time to reload, and I forgot to retreat while shooting on one stage; I just stood there and blasted away. LOL. I need to speed up but I have a hard time shooting paper quickly. I'm used to steel and can shoot it fairly quickly because you know when you hit. Big Grin

Pics for any interested

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That looks like a lot of fun. My 18 year old daughter is into shooting, and I'd like her to try something like that before she moves away to college.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Great work! IDPA is good fun!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats - that's awesome!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Now she's going to have to keep her hair short. Don't want to mess up a winning set up.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
looks like a nice day at the farm! Congratulations!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Love the daddy/daughter pics, looks like a happy girl.

Now get her to shoot some USPSA and she'll have some more fun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she will out shoot you.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Wow! Hey what a great thing for the both of you. Keep up the good work.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houdini26:
she will out shoot you.

Big Grin Congratulations looks like a lot of fun.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful. So many dads with teenage daughters have zero bonding time, so enjoy your time together.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Impressive,and your smile says you be a proud papa

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
That is awesome! Congrats! Great experiences for you both!

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Nice job dad! You clearly taught her well.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doggone there are some talented young ones related to forum members!!!

Congratulations to your daughter. Earning honors first time out is quite an accomplishment. Well done!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post