SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scout leaders: discussion on continuation under the current situation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout leaders: discussion on continuation under the current situation Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
I know there are a number of dedicated Scout leaders on SF, and I include in that anyone in a BSA/GSA/Trail Life/Royal Rangers/ what-ever LDS-calls-their-new-program or any other youth oriented leadership outdoor-based program. Many/most of us are faced with providing a program to our youth that precludes social gathering and face-to-face meetings. I would like to open a discussion and sharing of ideas to keep our youth engaged, and perhaps re-assured during these uncertain times.

Note: this is not the thread for criticism of BSA, or lamenting how it isn't what you think it was/should be. Please take that discussion elsewhere.

I will start off. My Troop is organizing weekly Troop meetings via Zoom, with a common opening, announcements and closing, but use the intervening time as patrol meetings. We plan on using the breakout session capability of Zoom to facilitate the patrol meeting. We will have a test run this coming Tuesday with the ASM's to see how it works.

Virtual patrol meetings at least allow the scouts to keep connected to their patrol mates, engage in some new activities, and continue their scouting. My son had his first such meeting today. They re-designed their patrol flag (they changed their patrol name recently); discussed their personal hobbies; and played a game of Hangman on the virtual Whiteboard facility in Zoom. They had no trouble spending an hour together and my son really enjoyed it. How well this carries into the future remains to be seen.

Has any other organizations developed/attempted a method to continue their program? Please share your thoughts.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We're still in Cub Scouts and my girlfriend is the Den Leader and Nova counselor. She also has everybody set up on Zoom which was easy since the School District is doing the same thing. Anybody without a computer was provided one by the district.

She distributed everything the parents would need to work on everything at home, with at least two monthly meetings set up online.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teach and learn skills by holding up flash cards for semaphore, naming all 16-points on a compass rose and morse code. Tent pitching contest and/or, sleeping bag stuffing contest.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Can you use it to work as a group on a certain merit badge? Guest speakers in certain areas of expertise maybe? Just thinking out loud

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post