SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U of Minnesota drops homecoming ‘King and Queen’ — replaces with genderless ‘Royals'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U of Minnesota drops homecoming ‘King and Queen’ — replaces with genderless ‘Royals' Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31649/

The University of Minnesota has become the latest university to do away with the traditional Homecoming King and Queen titles and replace them with the gender-neutral “Royals” term.

Taking it one step further, University of Minnesota officials also point out that the winners don’t even have to be one biological male and one biological female, stating on its website: “‘Royals’ … can be any combination of any gender identity.”

Campus officials called the change a move “toward gender inclusivity” that promotes “a spirit of inclusion at the University of Minnesota.”

“This change allows the University to select the best student representatives for the U of M based on campus and community involvement — regardless of gender,” the website states.

Indeed, the entire Homecoming Court at U-Minn. will follow the same concept.

“As in past years, the U will name 10 students to Homecoming court, only this year the mix won’t necessarily be five men and five women. Those 10 will be paired at random to compete in pre-Homecoming events, and their performance, along with a university-wide vote, will determine the two royals,” the Pioneer Press reports.

Allyson Taubenheim, the marketing manager for the university’s Student Unions & Activities, told The College Fix via email that moving forward for the October 2017 festivities, “King and Queen will not be titles — U of M students will be crowned as ‘Royals.’”

“There was not a specific incident that caused [Student Unions & Activities] to make the switch,” Taubenheim stated.

“We are excited about this change,” she added. “Our student body is made up of very diverse population that shouldn’t be limited by gender identity. Other colleges, universities and even high schools have made similar changes. We look forward to crowning two students who respectfully represent the university’s values, connect with the diverse members of the university community, and have excellent school pride.”

The University of Minnesota is among several colleges that have removed their homecoming titles of King and Queen. For example, in recent years, Appalachian State University and San Diego State University also switched the King and Queen titles out for the “Royals” terminology.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Why stop there... why have "royals" at all? Aren't you elevating some above the others? Isn't that going to hurt some feelings and leave some feeling less self worth?

Shouldn't everyone be "royal" to maintain the self esteem balance? Will there be play-doh and cookies for those who aren't chosen?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who in the heck even pays attention to such things? I went to the UofM for 8 years and never once knew who the "Royalty" were. At the time, there were over 50,000 students. What makes these 10 so distinguished to rise to the top?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does it say about how our young people think that it is considered immoral to distinguish "men" from "women", but apparently not a thought goes into distinguishing "Royals" from "commons".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Royals!?! That's elitist and exclusive. How dare they discriminate against the commoners?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wait until 8 of the 10 Royals are white guys, then watch the pussyhats come back out.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Why stop there... why have "royals" at all? Aren't you elevating some above the others? Isn't that going to hurt some feelings and leave some feeling less self worth?

Shouldn't everyone be "royal" to maintain the self esteem balance? Will there be play-doh and cookies for those who aren't chosen?

Trophies for ALL.....

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I truly weep for the future.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Eh, don't care. They will all burn in hell.

Q

Posts: 26378 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Apparently you have no children. I have a son who's not part of this madness but will have to live and suffer with it. I weep for his future and those like him, not the worthless children who don't even know what gender they are.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Apparently you have no children. I have a son who's not part of this madness but will have to live and suffer with it. I weep for his future and those like him, not the worthless children who don't even know what gender they are.

Your son, the sons of a friend of mine, and the children of other like-minded people are the reasons I want whatever shitstorm the left has planned to start NOW while I can help do something about it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Comet, please.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:Your son, the sons of a friend of mine, and the children of other like-minded people are the reasons I want whatever shitstorm the left has planned to start NOW while I can help do something about it.

In another generation, they won't care. It will seem normal to them and we will be dead, forgotten relics of the past. My daughter is 22. She is in a tiny minority of relatively conservative students. Even she is ambivalent toward the gender debates. She thinks it's dumb, but doesn't get worked up the way people of my generation do.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you don't like this, then you're sure to love this one:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03...y-its-not-inclusive/

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have no words. Roll Eyes Actually I do, but they would be rife with VERY colorful metaphors. [JSMH]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I'm originally from MN. This change makes me sick.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Royal is Jello. Like their spines.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I wonder how far this madness will go?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I wonder how far this madness will go?

There's no defined limit. Whatever goal the progressives achieve, they just go for something even more ridiculous to grab the next headline.