SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying Delta with a gun, there has been a change in procedures...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying Delta with a gun, there has been a change in procedures... Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
After asking if my rifle was unloaded and me verbally confirming it was, a ticket agent asked me to show her. I proceeded to unlock my case pull out the 1895 and before I racked the lever she tells me that's good enough she can see it isn't loaded. She must have had x-ray vision because all she could see was the left side of the receiver and like I said, I hadn't opened the action.

On the flight back, a ticket agent asked me to open my case and show her the box my ammo was in. Upon opening the case, she asked what was all the stuff around the rifle. I replied that it was deer sausage and jerky. She said it wasn't allowed. I asked why a gun and ammunition where ok, but sausage was a problem and she didn't have an answer. Eventually, she got a TSA supervisor involved and my rifle and sausage in the case made it on the plane.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Guys, chill a bit. I just flew Delta Internationally and they zip-tied all bags. Not one of them had a gun. SOP.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Guys, chill a bit. I just flew Delta Internationally and they zip-tied all bags. Not one of them had a gun. SOP.

I've never had Delta zip tie my bag, and I fly international with them at least 2-3 times a year.I have not flown out of the country this year yet (I will be next month) so perhaps it is a brand new policy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I've never had Delta zip tie my bag, and I fly international with them at least 2-3 times a year.I have not flown out of the country this year yet (I will be next month) so perhaps it is a brand new policy.

Might be the "priority" service (we sat up front). Dunno? But it caught my eye as they tied our zippers so they couldn't be easily opened.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had the opportunity to travel with a gun. I have flown delta with connecting flights in Atlanta. Baggage making the connection is high drama. Carry on only with connections in Atlanta.

Posts: 688 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Might be the "priority" service (we sat up front). Dunno? But it caught my eye as they tied our zippers so they couldn't be easily opened.

Zip ties make the bag harder to steal from. The same idea as the dudes stretching wrapping bags in the international ticketing area.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I always fly "priority."

But now that I think about it, whenever I fly out of the country, I always lock my bag or zip tie it myself. I carry zip ties when I travel specifically for that reason. I do the same for my wife's bags as well. Perhaps since I already had a lock on my bag Delta didn't bother.

But in any case, this "new" policy seems to be aimed not at preventing theft but to primarily make it more difficult for the owner to open his bag upon retrieving it at his destination. At least that was the implication in the OP. Although I can't find anything on Delta's policies that reflects this change. I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebo
posted Hide Post
I just flew Delta today from Augusta to Atlanta to Las Vegas. After putting the "unloaded firearm" tag in the bag I zip tied the zippers. It was marked with the special tag and it was waiting for me in the Bagage office instead of the carousel as others have said. My black zip ties had been removed and replaced with blue ones, TSA had inspected my bag per the card inside. I cut their ties off in the office to verify my case was inside the bag before I left the office. I was glad I had put a small pair of diagonal cutters in an outer compartment.

Posts: 51 | Location: Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: April 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post