SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PTSD is a nightmare
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTSD is a nightmare Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Good luck and thank you! Though I've been a life-long soldier, thankfully, it is not something I have had to deal with personally.

All the training I have gotten on it says that it is short-term and treatable. (Or perhaps more correctly put; short-term if treated).

This is a problem in the military because it is also a label (that can be sometimes worn as a badge of "been there done that") and a permanent disability rating...

I wish you the best of luck, we need you around.

My youngest grandson (medically retired) has a major case of PTSD which the VA has been farting around with for months! I think they finally have decided to do something about it. I am not in the loop as the MRS handles it with him and the VA.

I can assure anyone that PTSD is not a fun thing to experience, whether personally or with a family member. It has been several years now and the VA is FINALLY getting their heads out of their collective asses.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Most people think of PTSD as something that only soldiers get. Thanks for the reminder that there are others out there who are susceptible to the disease.

I am glad to hear that you have put yourself on a path to recovery.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you read the reference I posted, you will see the research they have found to reprogram your brain and erase the bad memories caused by the chemical imbalance.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed with PTSD. It affects me in this way:
1- If I see a car crash, no matter how minor, I get lots of bad scene memories that rush through my head.
2- When sleeping, the sound of a siren will immediately wake me.
3- I replay calls, events, or decisions on an endless loop in my head, even years after they occur.
4- I have dreams about foot and car chases.

All the above used to make me wonder if I was nuts. But I have done a great deal of reading about PTSD and how it occurs and to who gets it. Looks like I am part of a big club!
So... The passage of time and focusing on other, more positive aspects of life have helped me to put my LE career in the rear view mirror. And I have "come to terms" with things in my past and now realize that I did the best I could, when I could, with what I had.
I know that others, especially our combat Vets suffer from PTSD far worse than mine. I hope the VA gets up off its ass and does a better job helping our Vets, no matter which war they served in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Like a couple others have said, please look into EMDR, its life changing stuff. I know it sounds a little crazy but I have first hand experience and it really works. It's also a VA approved treatment.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public...ed/emdr-for-ptsd.asp

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I held a Deputy in my arms as he cried. "I can't do it anymore". We almost lost a good man. He finally realized he needed help. He is on the road to recovery.

Get help, get all you need. Don't be macho.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
You are NOT alone. Many first responders have PTSD to one degree or another. I'm glad you had the courage to seek help. After 26 years of LE work, I learned what worked for me. Exercise, hunting, camping, hiking and concentrated family time work wonders. Thanks for your service. It can get better. I haven't had a work related nightmare in almost 10 years.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
You have HELPED so many people who have had better lives because of your efforts. You really need to think those calls too. I know it's not that simple, being a healer is tough.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I had a major incident that had been preceded by many bad ones. It was bad. What followed was worse. This was all new back then, no one really knew what to do. Tough it out and don't talk about it was the general rule. Another one of us on the scene that day cracked. That initiated some steps by the department, a debrief, etc.

I did finally go see a counselor. I remember it being a very large woman, right out or college telling me all of this textbook crap. She'd never seen it, done it, smelled it... Didn't have a clue but to quote a text book. I recall a lot of anger then just walking out and never going back.

Don't do that....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You are not alone. Everyone reacts to stress in different ways, and you are not weak for realizing you have a problem. Seeking treatment means you want to get better, and that's the first step. Good luck in your recovery.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Luck. I know what you mean some calls are hard to get out of your mind. Been doing it (as a volunteer) for more years than I care to remember. Sounds like you are getting a grip on it and getting the help you need.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that you have recognized the need for help, and getting it. There are always cases and calls that, for good or bad, stick with us. We are, after all, human too. Try to remember the good ones, the ones where YOU made the difference. We unfortunately consider those the norm, and not the fortunate blessings that they are. I certainly wish you the best.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post