SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PTSD is a nightmare
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTSD is a nightmare Login/Join 
posted
10 years of being a firefighter and emt. 10 years of volunteering my life for free has finally taken a toll. I finally went to see a doctor. I have it no doubt about it. Before I got married I lived In my firehouse for 4 years, responded to ever call, slept a couple hours a night. I was averaging 500 calls a year. Mostly medical calls. I gave my guns away a few years ago when I realized I had some issues being depressed.
The last week I couldn’t get a particular call out of my head. It was a particularly bad one with a pediatric death. Call happened years ago. I can’t shake it. I can’t loose the images. I’m a poster child for it.

I’m not suicidal. I’m seeing a doc. Honestly I just needed to put a face to the disease. It took me forever to realize it. I’m not taking meds but working through it with the doc.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck and thank you! Though I've been a life-long soldier, thankfully, it is not something I have had to deal with personally.

All the training I have gotten on it says that it is short-term and treatable. (Or perhaps more correctly put; short-term if treated).

This is a problem in the military because it is also a label (that can be sometimes worn as a badge of "been there done that") and a permanent disability rating...

I wish you the best of luck, we need you around.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Check out some of these articles for treating PTSD with nutritional supplements:

http://www.lifeextension.com/S...category=[Magazines]

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short term and treatable, never forget that. Best of luck.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Yup, as a fellow FF and LEO for my Department it can take a toll. Email in profile if you want to chat off line. Prayers sent.

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanted to say thanks for everything you've done too help people. Get well...

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Been in EMS/Fire/Rescue since 2000. Similar story of eating/breathing it for years. I became severely burned out. Finally took myself off the truck last year, probably for good. The law enforcement side doesn’t affect me in the same way, oddly.

Shift your focus on yourself and your family. Hobbies and physical activity. Remember what really matters, and what is going to still be there should you ever leave the job.

I don’t have any PTSD advice specially. You’re doing the right thing though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The stuff can hang with you. My first decade as a FF Medic was all gung ho. The second one, not so much but still a little rah-rah. The third decade I was burned out like you wouldn't believe.
I used to have dreams of calls when I was working, now retired, I haven't had one. Odd, I thought that crap would come around to say hi once in a while. Glad it hasn't.

You're doing what needs to be done. Follow through and keep going.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It’s definitely hard to shake. I have nightmares occasionally and remember bad calls. That life as a paramedic was over close to eight years ago. There are probably a half dozen calls I doubt I’ll ever forget, they just seem to get “further away” the more time goes by... if that makes any sense. Hang in there and stick with the counseling. Best of luck.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Simply, what Excam Man said. Thank you brother and get well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stumbled across this while researching another topic. Might be worth reading.

http://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/

EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences. Repeated studies show that by using EMDR therapy people can experience the benefits of psychotherapy that once took years to make a difference. It is widely assumed that severe emotional pain requires a long time to heal.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:
I stumbled across this while researching another topic. Might be worth reading.

http://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/

EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences. Repeated studies show that by using EMDR therapy people can experience the benefits of psychotherapy that once took years to make a difference. It is widely assumed that severe emotional pain requires a long time to heal.

I am a personal success story of EMDR. Be sure whomever you go to has a history of success and is certified.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have calls that I remember but not to the point that I can’t deal with them to the back only for them to resurface once in a while. As long as you are getting some help with them you are on the right track. The pediatrics are always harder to deal with. It’s learning how to deal with the memories talking about them and knowing you are not the only one feeling as you do.

I took a week long homicide class with Vernon Gabreth a NYC homicide investigator. It was a roller coaster ride the entire week showing us different death scenes some of them were taped. He was preparing us for what we would see so we didn’t lock up at the scenes when we were needed. Also how to deal with the aftermath. I felt spent but well informed at the end of the week.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My thanks to you and all firefighters. I’ve been an EMT and didn’t care for it and I’ve done industrial firefighting and did not like that either. Those are jobs I can’t do and I’m grateful for people like you. I’m sure with treatment you will get through this.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Recognizing the problem and seeking help is the best thing you could have done. I remember many of the Vietnam era vets telling me what we deal with on the streets was much worse than war was for them. And several of them had been wounded in battle! We see and deal with what the normal person will never have to. It can get better and you are to be commended for your efforts. Any way I can assist don't hesitate to contact me. Been there and done that myself. Remember in most of your calls you made a positive difference. We tend to only remember the bad and surreal. I think it's just a natural way of Human coping to better their performance for the next time. But we just see and feel way too much. And it is accumulative.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
You’re a good man for doing the job and realizing that you need help. I sincerely wish you the best and hope that you make huge progress. Keep up the good fight.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
THANK YOU for all that you do. Don't ever forget we care about you and respect you. You will get better. This time of year especially, is hard for people fighting depression.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Another word of thanks, and wishing all the best for you.

My wife is a therapist, mental health type, and I understand just how tough some of these things can be.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Brother thanks for getting help. I’ve been in the fire/ems field for 10 years and have lost a few friends to PTSD. I wish they had gotten help. If I can help at all please contact me my email is in my profile.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are working with a doc. I'm a retired Florida LEO who still works with those impacted by PTS/PTSD related to law enforcement, ems, and fire calls. If you like, message me and I can reach out to and put you in touch with peer to peer services available in your area.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post