SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This week’s pawn shop scores
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This week’s pawn shop scores Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
For me: five assorted Snap-On screwdrivers, molded red handles, $1 each.

For one of my boys: OIGO carry bag, Odyssey 2-ball putter, three TM Rescue mids 2,3,4, and a set of 845s 6-S (six irons). $30.00

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have better luck than me. Every time I go into a pawn shop I see overpriced Junk.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
You have better luck than me. Every time I go into a pawn shop I see overpriced Junk.

I'm with you, I see highly used and broken stuff priced at new retail or above.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

I'm with you, I see highly used and broken stuff priced at new retail or above.

SAME HERE. I even tried to haggle with the people a long time ago and they still wanted a price that was way too high for the worn out junk.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
When I go in to pawn shops, I've always left saying "this was a waste of fucking time".

Maybe there's a good one somewhere, but I don't go there.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
The bag was heavy as hell. I got it home and found 32 golf balls, a pair of nearly new Nike size 9 golf shoes, three new gloves, three used gloves, over a hundred tees, a groove brush, a box of softspikes, a spike change tool, three towels, and some other junk. Oh, and a quarter.

This bag has been sitting at my local shop for more than 5 years. On a whim I made an offer since my son wants to try golf. I've bought tools from them for twenty years so they always give me deals.

The Tommy Armour irons are circa 1997-8, and the hybrids about 2002, but look fantastic.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
When I go in to pawn shops, I've always left saying "this was a waste of fucking time".

Maybe there's a good one somewhere, but I don't go there.

Same here, every time. I'll pop in one now and then when I travel, and no matter where I am, same result. Waste of time.

Glad to hear someone gets something out of them though.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my best gun deals came from pawn shops. Dont be afraid to negotiate.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The days of cheap pawn shop finds are nearly over. Now that they can look online for comparison, little escapes the all seeing eye of Sauron Pawn. I did find a nice SIG 220 Sport for around 650.00 back in the day. I also bought a 3500.00 piece of equipment for 400.00 because it was 'broken ' . I knew what was wrong and bought it. Took literally a hammer tap in just the right place to get it running. Still works great to this days years later.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My last find at the pawn shop was an old silverware box.
I stripped the interior and sanded the outside of the box. I put new felt on the interior. I then stained it and polyurethane it.
Then I built dividers for the interior to make it an 18 watch box.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably 20 years ago found a HK91 (.308) in a pawn shop. Paid 750 for something that was selling for 2k across town.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
The bag was heavy as hell. I got it home and found 32 golf balls, a pair of nearly new Nike size 9 golf shoes, three new gloves, three used gloves, over a hundred tees, a groove brush, a box of softspikes, a spike change tool, three towels, and some other junk. Oh, and a quarter.

This bag has been sitting at my local shop for more than 5 years. On a whim I made an offer since my son wants to try golf. I've bought tools from them for twenty years so they always give me deals.

The Tommy Armour irons are circa 1997-8, and the hybrids about 2002, but look fantastic.
Joe gets bags loaded up like this at Goodwill auctions. Sadly, we ended up scrapping over 500 clubs last Summer as he was covered up with them at his outdoor Flea Market stand. He sold some very expensive drivers, around $200.00 each for $5.00 each. Even some that are as new. You got a great deal on the Snap On drivers. I always wanted something of Michelle Wies... Big Grin.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Joe gets bags loaded up like this at Goodwill auctions. Sadly, we ended up scrapping over 500 clubs last Summer as he was covered up with them at his outdoor Flea Market stand. He sold some very expensive drivers, around $200.00 each for $5.00 each. Even some that are as new. You got a great deal on the Snap On drivers. I always wanted something of Michelle Wies... Big Grin.

There was a time (maybe 15-20 years ago) when you could find some really good golf stuff at Goodwill. I’ve found a half dozen PING putters, a Wilson 8802 putter, and once found a complete set of Wilson Staff forged irons. Found a complete set of early Titleist forged blades at another one. I rarely look anymore because the Goodwills around here started to purposely break sets up.

RB

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Among the gear he brought in 2 Summers back was 3 Taylor Made drivers, like new and I snagged a guy stealing them in front of the whole Flea Market. I made him pay for the clubs which Joe sold for $10.00. The guy must have had some issues because he had a stack of cash on him. He got 3 Taylor Mades for 10 bucks.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:

SAME HERE. I even tried to haggle with the people a long time ago and they still wanted a price that was way too high for the worn out junk.

Staying in an extended stay hotel in Newport News, Virginia, I'd had it with their crappy overpriced onsite laundry. The company paid for my dry cleaning, but the rest was on my dime - so I'd hit the laundromat once a week.

There was a pawn shop there in the same strip mall I'd frequent that had lots of good old school stereo gear, cameras, sporting goods (all the military guys needing cash) and for the life of me, I couldn't get Apu the owner to come down a dime on any of it. Ever. I refused to pay near retail for years old used stuff.

I'd sit in my K5 Blazer, with more radio gear (UHF/VHF/HF, scanners) installed than most mobile comm centers - while my laundry was at the disco - and would talk with some of the locals on the CB - and other ham operators. Seldom used more than 5-10w.

One night, some clown came on frequency acting up. I reached down and kicked the amp on low (about 150w) just to run him off. The moment I keyed the mic, the pawn shop alarm went off.

Yes.

Police rolled in within a few minutes and checked everything out, but waited until Apu showed up about 20 minutes later. They do the complete building check inside, come out, Apu arms the system, locks back up, they all leave.

Finished my laundry and keyed the mic. Sit back and watch the circus again. They leave. As I drive out of the parking lot, I key the mic.

Woop, woop, woop... Big Grin

After hours, every time I'd roll by there on the main street, I'd light it up again. All it took was as little as 20w. Apu must have been getting 5-10 false alarms a week. More than once, I'd see the alarm company van parked outside his shop - and they never did fix the problem. And I was there on a continuum on and off for a couple of years.

I'm sure he and the city had some great conversations since they had escalating fines for false alarm dispatches.

Sure, I'd go in once in awhile. Told him I'd noticed his alarm system and recommended a few improvements (I used to work in the industry as a tech - and he shared with me it had been acting up). Suggested we could barter and I'd make those problems go away. Ah, Apu, bless his greedy little heart. He would not budge on a price.

But he did have to budge a lot of nights to confer with the local constabulary that had responded to his retail establishment.

Move, Apu. Move.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

... The moment I keyed the mic, the pawn shop alarm went off ...

.. Police rolled in within a few minutes ...

... Finished my laundry and keyed the mic. Sit back and watch the circus again. They leave. As I drive out of the parking lot, I key the mic ...

... Woop, woop, woop... Big Grin ...

... After hours, every time I'd roll by there on the main street, I'd light it up again ... 5-10 false alarms a week. More than once, I'd see the alarm company van parked outside his shop - and they never did fix the problem. And I was there on a continuum on and off for a couple of years ...

... I'm sure he and the city had some great conversations since they had escalating fines for false alarm dispatches ...

... noticed his alarm system and recommended a few improvements ...

... local constabulary that had responded to his retail establishment ...

So what you're saying is that years later you now regret wasting the time of the police?

RB

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Pawn shops near me charge almost retail for their junk.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
When I go in to pawn shops, I've always left saying "this was a waste of fucking time". ....

My exact thoughts. Small ones, big ones, does not matter. And the few times I saw something I liked, price was retail +. WTF!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll browse in pawn shops, but rarely buy. However, recently I've noticed they have DVD's for $1 each. I've bought about 15 the last 2 times I've been there. All for my 2 young boys. I ahve the first 4 episodes of Star Wars, 4 Pirates of the Caribbean and a bunch of other good movies. A buck a piece aint bad!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what you're saying is that years later you now regret wasting the time of the police?

Not the ones that live for beating and murdering unarmed minorities. Big Grin

Lighten up, Francis.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post