SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A blast from the past (Colt ad).
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A blast from the past (Colt ad). Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
1500 rpm? Obviously before "truth in advertising" laws, too.

Early Thompsons, like the prototypes and the M1919, did have a ~1500 rpm cyclic rate. The firing rate on the M1921 was a bit slower at ~1200. Later models dropped to ~600-800.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
hop head has a completely different meaning now, apparently,

as in one who likes hoppy beer,.,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Never leer at a bosom. Get a sense of it and quickly look away. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Hop" is an early 20th Century slang term for opium. Originally, the term "hophead" referred to an opium addict. A "hopdog" (no, really) is an opium addict in the terminal phase of the addiction.

When I was growing up, the term was still in use but much less so, and was understood to refer to any sort of drug addiction, which shows you what six or seven decades of use can do to slang terms.

These terms have now been appropriated by beer craft fans, and foodies.

It's no surprise, then, that you can find Hophead Opium Beer and HopDog Beer Works, and stuff like this.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall the phrase "hopped up" being used in the 70s.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
1500 RPM lol! Is that how fast he twirlrd it before he put it back in his holster?

I love the old S&W and Iver Johnson ads. They are pretty cool.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I've rustled up a couple old SW revolver ads and framed them for my shop:

From July, 1924 (I forget which magazine- it's marked on the reverse side of the page)

From McClure's magazine July, 1897^^

A shame that Colt one isn't real- I enjoy the historical ads for objects still in use.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A bicycle revolver that may be carried in the pocket without inconvenience? AND in the powerful 32 calber??? Sign me up!

Thanks for the pics I need to get some of those for my workshop.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That twin comet looks familiar. Antiques do not look so old anymore as you age.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never leer at a bosom. Get a sense of it and quickly look away.

Unlike some of our members who practice leering in the grocery line.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
That boy AIN'T got a pretty mouth.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
This Cobra was purchased in Ohio in 1975, by my wife, I think, the store is out of business but I'm still working on trying to trace it.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Original ad was for toothpaste. Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Excellent. This board is amazing!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
See, that skeezer is swappin' spit with the man, and then she's gonna shoot him for attacking her.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Eh wot old chap? Is it GLEEM a spoof on DREEM toothpaste?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I liked the ad better when it was encouraging her to shoot the creepy hophead.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
One minute she was thinking of capping his creepy-ass, the next she's swapping spit with her new bad boy. Go figure

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post