SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A blast from the past (Colt ad).
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A blast from the past (Colt ad). Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I would have placed that ad sometime in the 1960s, but that is a >1972 gun.

I remember seeing an ad, obviously dated well before the passage of the National Firearms Act, showing a lone cowboy fighting off bandidos with a Thompson submachine gun. Big Grin In reality, not too many ranchers out in BFE could afford one.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that posting. That lady in the back looks just like my lunch lady who served up sloppy Joes with her hand covered by a clear plastic wrap. She even looks like she is wearing one of those attractive hair nets.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Googled the name of the magazine and got no hits. Fake?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Maybe that gal has her Cobra stashed in that book on the table (cutout) at school. Maybe she will put that Cobra in his face between bits of mashed potatoes and English peas.

Enjoyed seeing that ad, don't remember seeing it , how well would that ad go over today! LOL

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It appears to be fabricated.

Shrouded Cobras and Detective Specials were introduced in 1972. The photo shows people with clothing and hairstyles from the late 1950s or early 1960s. On top of that, I used to collect Colt literature and advertisement and I've never seen such a thing.

I just can't see an ad like that appearing from Colt anytime in the postwar era, and words like masher and hophead were already antiquated when the pistol shown in that ad was manufactured.

If it's authentic, it's the most outrageous Colt ad ever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Sorry if it's a fake. I thought it was a kinda cool ad.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shrouded Cobras and Detective Specials were introduced in 1972. The photo shows people with clothing and hairstyles from the late 1950s or early 1960s. On top of that, I used to collect Colt literature and advertisement and I've never seen such a thing.

I just can't see an ad like that appearing from Colt anytime in the postwar era, and words like masher and hophead were already antiquated when the pistol shown in that ad was manufactured.

Fake news, now Fake Ads. Of course some of the ads from the 50s and 60s were something else.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wonder if I could still get a gun finished in “Pacifier” blue. Smile

And city zones (e.g., Hartford 15) were out and ZIP codes were in long before shrouded Colts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Yup, Zip codes were introduced in 1963. Looks like this was a fabrication/fake. Sorry para and guys. Frown

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's one creepy masher, though. Probably a panty sniffer or something. Shoot him, baby!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that fake ad! I think Colt would be wise to use it in a full-page ad in USA Today, People, and Mademoiselle.

I actually had one of those "Johnny 7's".... It did not stand up to heavy tactical use, at least in my seven year-old hands.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good fun. But way over the top IMO to be real.

Has to be a fake.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That boy is a p-i-g, pig!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It is fake.
No way Colt puts shooting someone over and over in an advertisement.

I agree he looks like a creep and probably deserves it for that alone.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31423 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

This post put a smile on my face. We have quite a few people here that have the knowledge and critical thinking skills in different and many areas. Para is one of them.

I don't admire that somebody's balloon got popped but the expertise demonstrated. It's like those Antique Road Show experts when they talk about either fake or genuine stuff and their value.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Ladies life and household" magazine gets no returns on Google.
More likely Mad Magazine?

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No such title in the Library of Congress as well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

1500 rpm? Obviously before "truth in advertising" laws, too.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Just keeping it real...

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post