SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NY Times: A Great Migration From Puerto Rico Is Set to Transform Orlando
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times: A Great Migration From Puerto Rico Is Set to Transform Orlando Login/Join 
posted
Gee, who could have predicted this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...-ricans-orlando.html

A Great Migration From Puerto Rico Is Set to Transform Orlando

By LIZETTE ALVAREZ NOV. 17, 2017

ORLANDO, Fla. — Ten intolerable days after Hurricane Maria trounced Puerto Rico, Sahria Garcia finally got a call from her brother on the island. The call lasted three minutes and the news shook her: Her family had lost everything — jobs, houses, possessions, cars — and had spent days foraging for food, ice and water.

Ms. Garcia, who lives in a small Orlando apartment with her three children, did not hesitate: “Don’t even ask,” Ms. Garcia said she told her brother during their conversation. “This is your house.”

Last week, they arrived — two brothers, their wives and their four children — and plopped onto newly bought bunk beds. The family is one small part of a sudden exodus of tens of thousands of Puerto Ricans racing to Florida after Hurricane Maria, a migration so large it rivals those from New Orleans to Houston after Hurricane Katrina and from Cuba to Miami during the Mariel boatlift.

The scale is larger than any previous movement of Puerto Ricans to the mainland, including the wave that arrived after World War II, said Jorge Duany, the director of the Cuban Research Institute at Florida International University and an expert on Puerto Rican migration. “It’s a stampede.”

More than 168,000 people have flown or sailed out of Puerto Rico to Florida since the hurricane, landing at airports in Orlando, Miami and Tampa, and the port in Fort Lauderdale. Nearly half are arriving in Orlando, where they are tapping their networks of family and friends. An additional 100,000 are booked on flights to Orlando through Dec. 31, county officials said. Large numbers are also settling in the Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach areas.

With so many arriving so abruptly, the migration is expected to transform Orlando, a city that has already become a stronghold of Puerto Ricans, many of them fleeing the island’s economic crisis in recent years. The Puerto Rican population of Orlando has exploded from 479,000 in 2000 to well over one million this year, according to the Pew Research Center. The impact of this latest wave is likely to stretch from schools and housing to the work force and even politics. Puerto Ricans, who are American citizens and tilt Democratic, could sway the electoral results of one of the country’s most pivotal swing states.

Local officials and nonprofit groups are already concerned about a scarcity of affordable rental housing in the area, a longtime problem with no quick fix.

They are also worried about the eventual strain on schools, which will need more bilingual teachers to handle a large number of mostly Spanish-speaking students. The area’s two county school districts — Orange and Osceola — have taken in 3,280 new Puerto Rican students since the hurricane, 70 percent of the Florida total, according to district officials.

So far, the Orange County Public Schools district has hired 20 teachers from Puerto Rico, and 10 more are close to being hired, said Barbara Jenkins, the superintendent.

The local governments will also have to help a steady flow of elderly Puerto Ricans and special needs children whose care and predictable routines were upended.

“We’re one of the fastest-growing regions in the country,” Mayor Teresa Jacobs of Orange County, where Orlando is, said at a recent meeting of state, local and nonprofit officials. “We’ve been handling growth. We just can’t handle it in a matter of weeks.”

From the start, the welcome extended to the evacuees by state and local governments has been generous. In early October, Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency to help the state provide services, obtain federal money and streamline rules for things like school enrollment.

The governor, a Republican and a likely candidate in 2018 for the United States Senate, also established disaster relief centers at the airports in Orlando and Miami so that Puerto Ricans could quickly obtain information about benefits, transportation, jobs, schools and medical care.

The transition has been eased in other ways. Most islanders have moved in with relatives, and many have no plans to return home, Puerto Rican leaders said.

“If I have to start from zero from somewhere, then I would rather do it here than in Puerto Rico,” said Yasmeli Santiago, 28, one of the sisters-in-law who moved in with Ms. Garcia last week.

But as days and weeks of living with relatives slide into months, frustration over privacy and food costs could easily escalate. Ms. Garcia, who works nights as a cashier at a hotel and moved here three months ago from Boston, will have eight relatives, including a baby, living with her and her three children in a two-bedroom apartment.

Before her relatives arrived, Ms. Garcia, who bought their plane tickets, figured out the living arrangements. She gave up her bed so the two couples could trade off sleeping in her room. The children all pile onto a foldout bed and two bunk beds. The rest, including her, sleep on air mattresses in the living room.

The women will share cooking duties, and while food stamps have been slow in coming, the family has picked up groceries at food pantries. Finding jobs is a priority. Fortunately, the job market is relatively healthy in the Orlando area, where the unemployment rate is 3.2 percent, compared with 4.1 percent in the country over all.

I am ready for this,” Ms. Garcia said of the jumble of people in her home. “I think we are O.K.”

Others are not as fortunate as Ms. Garcia’s relatives. More than 1,100 Puerto Ricans were staying in Florida hotels as of Nov. 14. But with peak tourist season fast approaching — Orlando gets 68 million visitors a year — rates are climbing, and the new arrivals will soon have to find more permanent places to stay.

“If they are not finding a house, or hotel, or need to find some independent living, we need to make sure we don’t have a crisis situation,” said Ms. Jacobs, the Orange County mayor. “The situation could deteriorate quickly.”

But so far, no plan has emerged.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will not bring in mobile trailers, said Daniel Llargues, a spokesman, something it did on a small scale in Florida after Hurricane Irma. The agency also provides rental assistance. Beyond that, long-term housing is a local issue. The situation is so dire that at a recent round table there was talk of buying an abandoned motel to house people.

Representative Darren Soto, an Orlando congressman of Puerto Rican descent, said new apartment rental units are being built at a brisk pace. But there are not enough, and only some will offer low rents. Until more units are ready, he said, “we will have to be vigilant to make sure no one falls off their housing.”

Some Puerto Rican community leaders are encouraging the newcomers to head north to New York or Philadelphia, where state benefits are more robust and there are fewer new arrivals.

“The reality is these families are here, and we put out the welcome mat, so now it is our responsibility that their transitions are seamless,” said Marucci Guzmán, the executive director of Latino Leadership, a grass-roots group in Orlando that has helped hundreds of newly arrived Puerto Ricans. “This is not the land of Mickey Mouse, and the streets aren’t paved with gold.”

Even for those who have found a safe place to land, the heartbreak of leaving the island remains.

As her three children played in the living room of her sister-in-law’s apartment, Ms. Santiago said the last two months had been excruciating. Her rental house in Humacao, a badly hit municipality near where the hurricane made landfall, was inundated with thigh-high water. A house she was building was also wrecked, taking her investment along with it. She lost her job at a hotel that still has not reopened and her husband, who worked at a luxury hotel, El Conquistador, could not wait the months that it would take to reopen.

“Outside the house,” she said, “the water was to my neck.

“We lost everything.”

But now there are new losses to endure, she said. Her mother and her two teenage brothers had to stay behind.

“My mom stayed alone with my brothers,” Ms. Santiago said. “They lost their roof, their doors. They lost everything, too. I am filled with worry now about the fact they stayed, and so it’s very difficult.”

A version of this article appears in print on November 18, 2017, on Page A1 of the New York edition with the headline: A Tempest-Tossed Wave From Puerto Rico Transforms Orlando.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
When liberals start calling something a great migration, you can be certain that a cesspool is forming.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The United States is a melting pot.

And in a melting pot, the scum always rises to the top.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I hope that living in Seminole County is far away enough from this shit.

I think we can pretty much guarantee those are all voters for democrats. Roll Eyes So the already high cost of living will probably go up even more. Wages are low here already. So how do people get around that? By living with more than 1 family per house.

So they're going to turn Orlando into a mini-Puerto Rico? Yep, just ready for cars to be parked on lawns or on cinder blocks with more shitty drivers and people who don't want to assimilate.

Posts: 13107 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick to NY or California, already skewed left, that is where the "migration" needs to go.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

...By living with more than 1 family per house...

From the article:

Ms. Garcia, who works nights as a cashier at a hotel and moved here three months ago from Boston, will have eight relatives, including a baby, living with her and her three children in a two-bedroom apartment.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
There are not enough jobs or welfare funds for sure now.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
And those that will get jobs...Will send for ALL of their relatives as soon as they can afford it. Oh Joy!

One of the few aspects of knowing your on the DOWNWARD slope of life....and gaining speed. Is that I will never get to see the mess the Country is headed for, twenty or so years down the road.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.washingtonexaminer....days/article/2641341

Florida governor: 2,000 leaving Puerto Rico every day — 84,000 in 42 days

by Paul Bedard | Nov 21, 2017, 8:13 AM

Puerto Ricans have been fleeing the island at a rate of 2,000 a day, a huge hit to the hurricane-ravaged island, according to Florida Gov. Rick Scott.

The impact of the human outflow could be damaging to the island’s manufacturing base, which tops tourism as its income base.

“Puerto Rico's main source of income is not tourism, it's manufacturing -- pharmaceuticals, medical devices, electronics, computers. That means when you have zero revenue because of no power on the island, the already weakened economy is going to get worse,” said Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon, who represents Puerto Rico in the House.

“I just spoke with the Governor of Florida, Rick Scott, and he told me that more than 84,000 Puerto Ricans left Puerto Rico over the past 42 days. Those are people who are workers -- people who are part of the tax base,” she added in a Ripon Society discussion earlier this month and just released.

The numbers of those leaving the island are a startling reminder of the delays in getting Puerto Rico up and running after Hurricane Maria slammed it two months ago.

But in discussion about Puerto Rico released by Ripon, the influential moderate Republican policy group, Gonzalez-Colon and other lawmakers generally praised the federal response.

“We have been receiving funds and we have been receiving help,” she said, “but we are still shy in some areas. I think the Corps of Engineers was given three tasks. They have been slow in all three. That's the main concern, but the rest of the agencies have been doing a wonderful job.”

She and two other lawmakers said the federal goal of the recovery should be to improve the island’s infrastructure, not just repair it to pre-hurricane levels.

“The risk we face is that some want to say, 'What’s the least amount we can do to get this problem off our back?'” said Wisconsin Rep. Sean Duffy, chairman of the Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance.

“I think that's the wrong approach. I think we have to take this opportunity to say, 'How big can we go? What kind of vision can we have as a Congress to actually do this the right way?' And I would just challenge all of you as we think through kind of what’s in the realm of possibility. We need partners, we need friends, we need allies, we need to spitball together as a group of people who care about Puerto Rico to get the best and more innovative and creative ideas flowing, so we can pick what we think is the best and most politically possible options for us to move forward with,” he added.

“I think long term we really need to look at why we have 3.5 million people in Puerto Rico who are not in a state,” said Rep. Tom MacArthur. “Everything has to be rethought and redone. The tax code, the way Medicaid is handled -- so many issues will actually go away if Puerto Rico were a state. There are mostly political issues around that and they can be solved -- maybe it’s phased in over time -- the representation. But I think ultimately we have to consider why 3.5 million Americans are living sort of a second class existence just off the Florida coast.”

Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at pbedard@washingtonexaminer.com

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
From the article:

Ms. Garcia, who works nights as a cashier at a hotel and moved here three months ago from Boston, will have eight relatives, including a baby, living with her and her three children in a two-bedroom apartment.

I wonder what her lease agreement says about that?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many will demand their "right" to a ticket on the gravy-train? A friend once asked "how do you prevent a safety net from becoming a hammock?"

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I wonder what her lease agreement says about that?

As long as the rent is paid I doubt the landlord cares.

A friend of mine lived in Manch-Vegas. The house next to hers was a single family rental with about a half dozen mexican families living in it. Cars parked all over the place, beer bottles on the lawn, trash everywhere. She would call the cops and they told her there was nothing they could do as long as the lanlord didn't complain.

She moved.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the title of one of Ann Coulter's books states, "Adios, America!"

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5159 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The influx in Orange and Osceola counties won't change a thing as both counties are already heavily hispanic and fully Red. They no longer vote blue.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Washington should give PR a low interest loan, surplus hammers and things, and tell them to start building.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The influx in Orange and Osceola counties won't change a thing as both counties are already heavily hispanic and fully Red. They no longer vote blue.

My initial thought or question to myself, when I read the title was, "Hmm, I wonder if I'll notice a difference".

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
more PR flags hanging from rear view mirrors, less English spoken in stores on East Colonial Dr.

Many of the folks coming are older family members who really would rather be in PR, but for the lack of shelter, food, electricity and water need to get out.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Washington should give PR a low interest loan, surplus hammers and things, and tell them to start building.

Nah, to really tell them "fuck you", we should just round up all the Mexicans here illegally and drop them off in PR. Big Grin

Posts: 13107 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey - give it a chance.

Without the Great Cuban Migration of the early 80's we would have missed out on Scarface !!!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
It may be news to some here, but Puerto Ricans are American citizens. It has been that way for 100 years. You might not be happy about it, but they can migrate to anywhere in the US they want.

Maybe some of you should have supported Puerto Rican independence back when you had the chance. Now that the island is a bigger mess than usual, you can forget about those movements starting up again anytime soon.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post