SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally moved to a free state: Arizona, not Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally moved to a free state: Arizona, not Texas Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Moved in this Tuesday with the bare essentials. I figure two more trips with the final one using a U-Haul trailer and some help from relatives.

My last thread asked for locations in TX to help narrow down the choices for me. But the feedback about property taxes and no such thing as a free lunch with respect to Texas' zero state income tax along with trying to find a place with no weather extremes made the search difficult. Snowmageddon scuttled the plan completely and made me reconsider Arizona.

Free state and minimal income tax locked me in. I crossed off places near the border, relatively high crime, extreme weather conditions (for us), and high median house prices. That left us three places: Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Chino Valley. Prescott has relatively colder temperatures being higher and also higher housing prices. Chino Valley seemed to have the least access to medical services. By process of elimination, Prescott Valley was the winner.

It turned out to be a great selectin for us. We're just 1 to 2 miles of most everything in town that has a multitude of eateries and services. People are friendly. The wife and I are just happy as can be starting a new life here.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Rey, look to the East. I’m about a stones throw over that mountain. I pass through PV at least once a month going to Costco. If you ever head over to Cottonwood, hit me up.

Oh, welcome to freedom!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I’m down the road in Livermore for another month till kids are out of school. We already closed on a house in Florida. 3x the size and 10x the land for 1/2 the money. And this one will be listed soon. thankfully they are going under contract around here within days. I asked and got permission to work remote forever. The state income tax savings alone will fund a few NFA items... I love your weather and geography California, your politics broke me.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on your move.

I remember when we moved to Florida from New Jersey over 20 years ago. It was a big awaking we did not realize before moving.
We were aware of no state income tax and lower cost of living but we were not aware of the gun laws.
I remember when we first got to Florida trying to register my hand guns. The lady at the police station laughs at me and said " you moved to a free state we don't do that".
At first I was not sure if she was joking and I called the Florida Highway patrol, They laughed and said the same thing.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the CA-to-AZ move. We did it ourselves in 2005.

We have a great association here. Very active in state issues: Arizona Citizens Defense League.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2838 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We're looking at the Oro Valley area near Tucson. Montana is great for the 90 days of summer, but.....

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

I remember when we moved to Florida from New Jersey over 20 years ago. It was a big awaking we did not realize before moving.
We were aware of no state income tax and lower cost of living but we were not aware of the gun laws.
I remember when we first got to Florida trying to register my hand guns. The lady at the police station laughs at me and said " you moved to a free state we don't do that".
At first I was not sure if she was joking and I called the Florida Highway patrol, They laughed and said the same thing.

Your post reminded me of a guy I shoot with every week.

He was born and raised in New Jersey, spent his whole life there and retired from there and moved 5 miles south of me. I met him a few months after he got here.

First thing he asked me was if he could really just go to a gun store with another private party and transfer a gun on the spot after a sale. I told him no, you go to WalMart or somewhere like it, examine the gun, hand the guy the money and then shake hands and go your separate ways. He said "and that's legal!!?

That was around 9 years ago. Now he buys around 4 or 5 guns a year and has the time of his life.

Oh, and when he bought his house, he asked how much the taxes were. They told him "around $2,000 and he said, well, that's not not too bad per month. They said no, that's for a year. He couldn't believe it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
congrats

welcome to AZ

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
How many more good people can the state of California afford to lose before it utterly collapses?

Hope you enjoy Prescott Valley

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Oh, and when he bought his house, he asked how much the taxes were. They told him "around $2,000 and he said, well, that's not not too bad per month. They said no, that's for a year. He couldn't believe it.

I honestly don't know what some of these places are doing with the money. It's not like they don't also have high sales taxes and high income taxes. About the only relatively lower tax in NJ is the fuel tax, but then I95 is a toll road, so there's that. Really, why are some governments so expensive to run? Is there really that much largesse in the form of social spending? I thought all of those handouts were heavily subsidized by the Feds. It was only in the 1960s that NJ was a Republican state and an escape from NY taxation. What a change.

Prescott Valley sure seems like a nice place. I'd love to live within a short drive of Gunsite Academy. I'd be going through their entire catalog of courses if I lived that close. When I wasn't at Gunsite, I'd be at Lake Powell.

Just don't tip over any cacti. They hate that in AZ.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So do they have the Az Cockroach's there Eek

Suppose they cannot be worse the the roach's in Ca.

Glad you guys are happy.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I'm envious.

Still trying to check out places but the number of viable places is dwindling. Maybe I'll check out PV. But I don't want to turn on a black light at night in the yard and see scorpions everywhere.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! We are in Sacramento and pretty much have narrowed down our move out of CA to Prescott Valley.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
How many more good people can the state of California afford to lose before it utterly collapses?

Not sure, but hopefully my parents sell all their real estate and pick a free state soon for their last decade or 2. The state income tax I will save after moving will be close to 1k a month. I pay 7k in property tax now and it will go way down for 3x the house.

I do mortgages and in the last year I have done more deals in TX AZ NV ID MT WY FL and UT than in 15 years combined at my company. These are upwardly mobile very high earning folks who are done with CA. Yeah some are probably liberals.. zI don’t Ask their politics. But it’s a very interesting trend. Small sample size for sure definitely interesting to note.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Congrats on escaping!

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Preskitt.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Congrats! I'm envious.

Still trying to check out places but the number of viable places is dwindling. Maybe I'll check out PV. But I don't want to turn on a black light at night in the yard and see scorpions everywhere.....

In college (Arizona State) I once had a 7th floor apartment dorm across from the campus football stadium.

We found a scorpion in the cupboard.

In town, on campus, on the 7th floor.

It came up and through the walls.

That said, I lived in Arizona full time for nearly 13yrs, and spent countless hours in the desert, day, night, morning, noon, between mountain biking and climbing and camping I was out in it, everything the state had to offer, and I never even came close to being bitten by anything and I saw very few snakes either.

The sun and snowbirds are the biggest concerns in AZ.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the move. Go have finnerat Papa's down in the old section of Prescott. Great family owned Italian restaurant.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Congrats, welcome to Arizona.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah some are probably liberals..

Ya think?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post