SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowan convicted of murder claims his life sentence was served when he died,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowan convicted of murder claims his life sentence was served when he died, Login/Join 
posted
A man convicted of murder was rushed from the Iowa State Penitentiary to the hospital in 2015, where his heart was restarted five times.

Now he claims his life sentence was fulfilled in his short-lived death, and that he has over-stayed his prison time by four years.

Benjamin Schreiber, found guilty of first-degree murder in 1997 and sentenced to life behind bars without the possibility of parole, was hospitalized in March 2015 after large kidney stones caused him to develop septic poisoning, according to court records.

By the time he arrived at the hospital, he was unconscious, records show.

https://www.press-citizen.com/...ed-death/2517110001/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Points awarded for creativity, but, uh, no.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
If he agrees to the required embalming, followed by burial, I say let him have his wish.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

so he gets two jello cups for a week , at lunch
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Only if he stays dead. They should give him the option...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
They should have just honored the DNR order.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
They should have just honored the DNR order.

It sure would have saved a lot of $$$$$!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Hey, it worked for Jon Snow. It was certainly worth a shot.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Too bad his victims (I'm sure there were plenty more before they finally got him for murder) didn't come back to haunt him, like in the movie Flatliners.
quote:
A man convicted of murder was rushed from the Iowa State Penitentiary to the hospital in 2015, where his heart was restarted five times.

Death is when brain activity ceases, is it not? The heart stopping won't kill the brain for several minutes. As Para alluded to, nice try.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I am all for him being released.......right after the full autopsy. Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Life sentence is that he is to remain in prison while still alive, yes? He’s still alive, so .....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
His definition of death is a little different than everyone else’s.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schreiber's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday.

Blame this fucker.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they never pronounced, then there is no death certificate.

In (altered) words of Dr. Leonard McCoy:

"He's not dead, Jim."

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ What he said. No pronouncement of death by Coroner or MD, you aint legally dead.
Kudos for originality though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Hell, I even thought I was dead 'til I found out it was just that I was in Nebraska."

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
That really made me laff. Thanks, Para, I needed that.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Duck I says!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
His definition of death is a little different than everyone else’s.

Well, not everyone’s. We still see frequents statements of the, “I died three times on the operating table,” and not only from people trying to get some benefit from dying. But, no, if you had died, you wouldn’t be telling us about it. Dead is dead, and not something we get over.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Dead is dead, and not something we get over.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post