SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 - good or bad?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 - good or bad? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When an Eastern sage was desired by his sultan to inscribe on a ring the sentiment which, amidst the perpetual change of human affairs, was most descriptive of their real tendency, he engraved on it the words : — "And this, too, shall pass away." It is impossible to imagine a thought more truly and universally appliable to human affairs than that expressed in these memorable words, or more descriptive of that perpetual oscillation from good to evil, and from evil to good, which from the beginning of the world has been the invariable characteristic of the annals of man, and so evidently flows from the strange mixture of noble and generous with base and selfish inclinations, which is constantly found in the children of Adam.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a bad year around my house. A brother-in-law, diagnosed with leukemia a year ago, is dying in front of our eyes. Sent to hospice today. Doubtful he will see Christmas. My 86 year old mother's health recently took a radical turn for the worse. She is now in rehab. Another brother-in-law had a heart attack and nearly died and is also now in rehab. Sadly, nothing but glum faces around here.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
So far, 2017 has been a relatively good year. I have had to attend a few funerals, but overall the family is healthy and I sometimes have to remember I have so much to be grateful for.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The last 4 days of 2016 until today have been the 2nd hardest year of my life. Hopefully this phase of my life is over by spring.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Lost a job
Dad died
Father-in-law died a week later
Step-dad diagnosed with onset dementia
Found out my sister was molested by dad
Nearly saw my marriage collapse
Diagnosed with PTSD

2017 can pound sand and eat a full bag of dicks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12327 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
The year has been good! As one said "not all butterflies, etc", but it could have been worse. I'm thankful for how the year went. For those of you who got divorced, I sympathize. That's an event that truly sucks the life out of you! to all of you, I hope next year is much better!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
2017 has been a good year for my family and I.

I was a warehouse manager for a 3PL company (3rd party logistics) where I was unhappy at for various reasons and was recruited to work for my customer and made the move in July. I'm now an actual employee and not a contractor, received a sizeable raise and opportunity for very lucrative amounts of OT (I am salaried but can work weekends and after my shift if I want.) My new company offers free tuition reimbursement and a lot of other perks as well.

I got to meet my favorite musician of all time and that was an awesome experience!

I sold 3 guns that I decided I didn't like/want anymore but bought 7 that I like/want along with a bunch of accessories and ammo.

I've paid my credit card debt down and should be able to pay it off by the end of January.

One more major life change that I hope to post about soon.

All in all, 2017 has been a good year for my boys and me and I look forward to another good year in 2018.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good and bad. I lost two of my best friends but I also bought my first 1000cc superbike and I now know what it feels like to ride a missile....it feels really good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
2017 hasn't been horrible, but it was probably below average for me, based on work and health.
2015 & 2016 were worse - my Dad and my dog died within a month of each other in 2015 and my Father-in-Law died in 2016.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's been a mixed bag, but things are on the upswing.

quote:
Desiderata

A lovely sentiment, and a long time favorite poem of mine.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Awesome year!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
2017 has been a great year for us except we haven't gotten to see the grandkids as much as we would like.

Have travelled to 3 bucket list places, met new friends, grew closer to family members, still enjoying retirement and still healthy.

Need to exercise more and lose 15 lbs.

As has been said, Hillary is not in the WH and Gorsuch is a Supreme. Life is good!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Good year - not all rainbows and butterflies, but a good, solid year.

Sounds about right.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad. Wife passed in August from cancer and I'm waiting for the results of a bone marrow biopsy for leukemia.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camper:
Bad. Wife passed in August from cancer and I'm waiting for the results of a bone marrow biopsy for leukemia.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get good news.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Not so good.

a stressful job has turned out to be even more stressful and my new boss is a huge problem.

Almost adopted a baby but it didnt work out and the baby had terrible health issues and passed away.

Mother in law broke her hip and isn't doing well.

Terrible health problems for my wife, we still don't know what is wrong exactly and it's getting scary.

School is a major pain in the ass with everything going on but I can't be promoted without a degree even though I'm more qualified than anyone else for the job.

Due to no fault of my own I will get a shit raise and bonus this year

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Not the best year I've ever had, but far from the worst.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have lived all but the last three weeks of 2017.

So, it's a good year.

I look forward to answering a similar post in the first week of December 2018.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
If it had been any better, it would have to be illegal... Wink

Best to all who have had a rough go of it...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In spite of a few bumps in the road, 2017 was a great year for my wife and I in our second full year of retirement.

I am saddened to read of the problems that many of you have revealed on these pages.

My wife and I pray for the righteous who face the storm.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post