SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 - good or bad?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 - good or bad? Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
This years been a mixed bag. For my daughter it’s been a great year I think. She graduated high school, started college, formed a relationship with her birth mother, learned she has 4 half-siblings, etc. I’m VERY glad this year has been meaningful and special for her.

But for me 2017 needs to get over with - the sooner the better. It’s been a year of poor decisions, heartache, and regret. But thanks to the unconditional love of one woman, support from family, and God’s blessing, it’s not been a complete disaster. Maybe one Day I’ll share my stupidity publicly, but for now suffice it to say I’m ready for 2018.

So, how about you. 2017 - a good year or bad (I hope it was good, and that 2018 finds you even better than this year!)

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Bad...too many hard losses and the heartache that goes along with them Frown...but with that being said, I'm looking forward to 2018 Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“One must never forget when misfortunes come that it is quite possible they are saving one from something much worse; or that when you make some great mistake, it may very easily serve you better than the best-advised decision. Life is a whole, and luck is a whole, and no part of them can be separated from the rest.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Every year is a mixed bag with triumphs and failures, rewards and disappointments, happiness and sadness....

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
2017 has so far been a very good year for my wife and I Smile. We're in relatively good health, our finances are relatively healthy, I retired...

Sorry it's sucked for you Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got Divorced in May and laid off in August.

They had both been sucking the life and possibly soul out of me so I'm considering 2017 a win/good considering the stress of unemployment is way less than the stress of the job I had.

Hope your 2018 is better!

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
2017 was a good year for me. My family members stayed healthy. It was all I could ask.

Sorry about your troubles. Hopefully next year will better.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's been a mixed bag, for sure.

Big picture: I'm healthy, employed, and got great family and friends. I'm warm, safe, dry, fed, and blessed.
Selfishly: I've made some mistakes, and I'm missing a few people.

Frankly, I'd like a visit from Sherman and Peabody with the WABAC machine, or maybe 1.21 gigawatts and a DeLorean. Either six months or 66 months would do.

A very good friend reminds me often, "Every day is a new day for Hope."

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me....with Trump in the White House, it's a good year.

With the Hag in the WH it would be a bad year.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good year - not all rainbows and butterflies, but a good, solid year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Good year - not all rainbows and butterflies, but a good, solid year.

This.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Great year.

Sold our house for top dollar, jobs are running full steam. Finalizing our move out of CA in the next month.

And the most important part, Obama is no longer President, Hillary is out, and Trump is our leader.

It's great times now Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Best year so far.

Developed a good relationship with coworkers and bosses in my new division, bought a new car to replace my 13 year old, 312,000 mile one. Got married to a wonderful woman waaaay over my head. Found a way to volunteer at my kids’ school. Taught over 1,000 people CPR. Got selected for a great new unit with awesome coworkers. Was able to save money for the first time in years.

I’ve come a long way from 2012 and my separation, divorce, and relocation. I lost everything. It was truly tough. But, finally, I’m doing better now than ever before.

Thank you to the members here who talked with me and supported me during that hard time. Some of you made a sincere difference.

2018 should be even better!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Hoping 2018 is better.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
It's been a good year so far and may turn into great year. There's been some changes at work recently, which opened up an unexpected opportunity for a promotion that should be finalized by Christmas. Would mean a pay increase of between $800.00 - $1,000.00 a month to start.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If it was any better I'd think it was a set-up.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Good: Finally out of the field at work after 24 years, at Corporate now (More $, stable hours).

Bad: Knee replacement postponed to 2018, minor health issue plus deductible resets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
2017 was probably the worst year of my life. My wife had a miscarriage and we haven't been able to conceive again. My mother had some health issues that required a few hospital stays (thankfully she's doing much better now). I got passed over for a position that I desperately wanted due to the good old boys network, as well as another detail that I put in for only to have the person selected over me for the detail to drop out. The last few months have been soul crushingly busy with work, where I feel like I can't say no so that I stil look good for the position I want, and also feel like I'm being taken advantage of because of that. My cousin just got diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma. My mother and father in law's Dachshund died unexpectedly. My wife and my first dog was diagnosed with diabetes, which is thankfully well managed now, but has developed cataracts and has gone blind because of the diabetes. My partner at work, or as my wife and I refer to her- my work wife, is going to have to put her rotweiller down soon due to cancer and has had a challenging year dealing with her own family issues. My sister in law, a doctor herself, has had severe thyroid issues that required a couple ICU stays and some life altering changes. The list goes on and on, but ultimately 2018 can't get here soon enough for me and my wife!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that the fortunes of my journey have usually meandered back and forth every few years. 2017 was unpleasant and I'm hopeful that 2018 will bring the smiles back.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It has been a good year for me, relatively minor health concerns, IRA's doing exceedingly good, no need to tap into the said IRA's. Easing into my fourth year of retirement, bought a new motorhome and looking forward to travelling, starting with a month or so in Arizona come January.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post