SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowflakes on the march. Black History Month meal offends black student
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowflakes on the march. Black History Month meal offends black student Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Funny, this meal sounds tasty to me. They fire people for this?

“NEW YORK (AP) - A racially insensitive menu for a Black History Month meal at New York University has led to a company apology and workers being fired.

According to The New York Times , NYU President Andrew Hamilton says it was "inexcusably insensitive" for a food service company to feature barbecued ribs, corn bread, collard greens, and beverages with racist connotations: Kool-Aid and watermelon-flavored water.

Sophomore Nia Harris, who's black, says the head cook dismissed her objections and told her that black employees planned the menu.

Aramark says it has fired two workers and is retraining its NYU employees.

It issued an apology to the entire NYU community and "communities everywhere" for the employees' "insensitive and offensive actions."

Harris says that in addition to their studies, black students have to do "extra work" - teaching sensitivity and respect.”

http://www.gettysburgtimes.com...5b-616fcf6f85dd.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m vampire white and that sounds like good eating to me

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
So what food do they want served during black history month?

Earl Grey tea and cucumber sandwiches with the crust sliced off?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I guess the NYU students have never been to a family picnic. Maybe they would have been happy with New England Clam Chowder or Polish sausage and sauerkraut. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t begin to understand stories like this. I thought the idea behind Black History Month was to celebrate that culture. That luncheon was meant to honor, not disrespect.

I said this before. Every time you think you’ve heard the stupidest thing you could possibly imagine, a new day dawns.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Clearly that idiot has NEVER been to Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi and eaten in a BBQ restaurant. I've never been a fan of collared green but hat the rest last time I was ... Yummy!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amazed that the press and NYU put out the truth that the staff that made the decision was black,

How sad that everything to these kids is a problem.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Saying "good morning" to any of these idiots is racist to them now.
Best thing to do is ignore them and any other their little marches or history months.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Amazed that the press and NYU put out the truth that the staff that made the decision was black,

How sad that everything to these kids is a problem.

They should fire the black staff who was racist to assume they knew what blacks wanted to eat. Show it on every news channel so the world can see how absurdly retarded this has become.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I thought the idea behind Black History Month was to celebrate that culture.

It's to celebrate a culture not a stereotype.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the culture then?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Clearly that idiot has NEVER been to Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi and eaten in a BBQ restaurant. I've never been a fan of collared green but hat the rest last time I was ... Yummy!!

Hey, don't leave out my home state, NC! I eat my greens with apple cider vinegar. We use a vinegar based bbq sauce with our pulled, chunk or chopped pork. Lexington or eastern style, bring it on!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Aramark and good food don't go together.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I pray the leftist loonies and their minions implode before this generation destroys our republic. The stupid is very strong on our campuses, more evidence liberalism is a disease.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

Fair enough, and I'll say that the watermelon flavored water was a little much, still, I thought all that mattered to the Left was good intention.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those students may not want that food, but I DO!!! I was raised on that type of food, and much prefer it over tea and crumpets!!

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What about corn beef and cabbage, or New England boiled dinner, on St. Patrick’s day?

Should that be before the parade or after?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not seeing the stereotype.

Probably the most stereotypical "black" food is fried chicken. And watermelon wasn't even so much an iconic black food, but rather the connotation of stealing (and subsequent consumption) of them-just like in the old Tony Joe White song "Poke Salad Annie".

quote:
Her daddy was lazy and no count
Claimed he had a bad back
All her brothers were fit for was stealin' watermelons out of my truck patch

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the last year I was at college, they had a Black History Month meal at the dining hall. Fried Chicken, collard greens and sliced watermelon for dessert. We got a bit of a chuckle out of it, but no one complained, and certainly no one lost their jobs. All the menu planners and cafeteria workers were black, after all.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It is Black History Month, not Black Culture Month.

The stereotype, if it actually is a stereotype, is based on history. What's the problem with offering a meal that reflects history? The seder is a Passover meal with the main purpose of retelling history, lest we forget our past.

I'm Jewish. I certainly would not get all pissy if the cafeteria at the place I worked offered "Jew food." I might bitch a little because the quality is not up to my (deceased) Polish-Russian Jewish grandmother's cooking, but the complaint, if any, would take the form of joking with the cooks, not trying to get them fired.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post