SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NBC Special Report: America’s rifle: Why so many people love the AR-15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NBC Special Report: America’s rifle: Why so many people love the AR-15 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
NPR had a doctor on , explaining what bullets do , and don't do.

I was 20 minutes in to the show and had to leave the vehicle.
I would like to listen the entire show , but can not find it to listen to it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I wonder what this phrase really means:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The AR-15 and its semiautomatic cousins

Oh, crap.

So, now we have to worry about inbred rifles...

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Fuck NBC

Yep, the same military that introduced me to the the black rifle, also taught me that NBC is detrimental to all living things.

And the "news" source of the same three letters, is as radioactive, biohazardous and chemically deadly to the mind of the thinking.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because an AR-15, or a variant, was used in several mass shootings — including Aurora, Colorado; Newtown, Connecticut; San Bernardino,California; Sutherland Springs, Texas; and Las Vegas, in which a total of 137 people were killed
Maybe its because I'm a numbers person, but this isn't much of a problem in the overall scheme of things when basic math is applied. The Aurora shooting happened July 2012. So averaging all the mass shootings noted in the story across six years, that means 22.8 people a year / 1.9 people per month were killed with evil black rifles nationwide since 2012. How many people per year / per month die of drunk driving? Or drug overdose? Or medical malpractice? Those numbers would dwarf these mass shooting numbers.

And let us not forget (which the story ignores) that San Bernardino and Sutherland Springs were both the result of complete failures by government to do their most basic of jobs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What, no mention that they are like Legos for grown men?

Posts: 2482 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Because an AR-15, or a variant, was used in several mass shootings — including Aurora, Colorado; Newtown, Connecticut; San Bernardino,California; Sutherland Springs, Texas; and Las Vegas, in which a total of 137 people were killed
Maybe its because I'm a numbers person, but this isn't much of a problem in the overall scheme of things when basic math is applied. The Aurora shooting happened July 2012. So averaging all the mass shootings noted in the story across six years, that means 22.8 people a year / 1.9 people per month were killed with evil black rifles nationwide since 2012. How many people per year / per month die of drunk driving? Or drug overdose? Or medical malpractice? Those numbers would dwarf these mass shooting numbers.

Don't forget that swimming pools kill more children than all firearms combined.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Come on You guys! It's irrelevant that drugs, alcohol, smoking, drowning and a host of other accidents, take FAR more lives than firearms.

You forget....It's ALL about the children.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I wonder what this phrase really means:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The AR-15 and its semiautomatic cousins

Oh, crap.

So, now we have to worry about inbred rifles...

Yup. I've heard them fooling around and giggling in the gun closet.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
NPR had a doctor on , explaining what bullets do , and don't do.

I was 20 minutes in to the show and had to leave the vehicle.
I would like to listen the entire show , but can not find it to listen to it.

Trump needs to defund NPR or kill NPR completely. Having a biased, publicly funded left leaning organization like that is ridiculous.

NPR should be unbiased news and educational content...or just cartalk.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got to go with the "Lego" answer. You can have one absolutely plain-vanilla-off-the-shelf, or one absolutely star-destroyer-looking-loaded-with-gadgets, or anything in between.

I think that no single answer to their question exists. I think that if there are "n" owners, then the number of answers is probably "3n".

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

And let us not forget (which the story ignores) that San Bernardino and Sutherland Springs were both the result of complete failures by government to do their most basic of jobs.

I had the same reaction until I thought about it more.

I think the unwritten point they are making is that 137 people were killed in 5 incidents - an avg. of 27 people/incident, compared to how many on avg. are killed (2,3,4,5?) when some yo-yo goes nuts with a bolt-action rifle or a handgun.

Regardless of what they write, their goal is to ban the evil-looking black rifles.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what they write, their goal is to ban the evil-looking black rifles.

Their goal is to ban everything.
The EBR is just a stepping stone.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post