SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NBC Special Report: America’s rifle: Why so many people love the AR-15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NBC Special Report: America’s rifle: Why so many people love the AR-15 Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
NBC tries to appear balanced.........but too many veiled trigger words and phrases to still let the bias ooze thru...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...par-xfinity_20171228
==========================================
UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — There are a lot of reasons people love their AR-15 semiautomatic rifles, and it doesn't much matter to them what the haters say.

For some, the gun is a tool, a finely tuned machine that can cut down an animal or intruder, or pierce a distant target, with a single precise shot.

For others, it is a toy, a sleek beast of black plastic and metal that delivers a gratifying blast of adrenaline.

And for many, it is a symbol, the embodiment of core American values — freedom, might, self-reliance.

“There are very few things that serve such a great form and function, and look cool,” said Daniel Chandler, 26, an AR-15 owner here in suburban Maryland. When he takes his AR out of its case at a shooting range, he smiles like he just unwrapped a gift. “There are few things you’ll find that are wonderfully appealing to look at, wonderful exercises in mechanical engineering, and that could save your life.”

This is the side of the AR-15 that many don’t see, or ever consider.

Because an AR-15, or a variant, was used in several mass shootings — including Aurora, Colorado; Newtown, Connecticut; San Bernardino,California; Sutherland Springs, Texas; and Las Vegas, in which a total of 137 people were killed — this civilian sibling of a military assault rifle is an exceptionally polarizing product of modern American industry. The AR-15 and its semiautomatic cousins — they shoot one round for each pull of the trigger ─ incite repulsion among those who see them as excessive, grotesque and having no place on the civilian market.

It is the focus of multiple attempts at prohibition, which in turn has prompted people to run out and buy more. Such “panic buying” drove sales of AR-15s to record levels during the presidency of Barack Obama and the 2016 presidential campaign. Gun merchants say some buyers are also driven by a fascination with a weapon used in notoriously heinous crimes.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Text was repeated,twice.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun merchants say some buyers are also driven by a fascination with a weapon used in notoriously heinous crimes.

What a load of horse shit,You buy an A/R because the military uses that caliber,making ammo plentiful,least I do.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wonder what this phrase really means:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The AR-15 and its semiautomatic cousins

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

It means they have no idea what they're talking about.

...but they know black rifles are bad!!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Mine has a 30 magazine clip, per 1/2 a second.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's all of the different brands, right? Colt, LMT, etc... hehe

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
Mine has a 30 magazine clip, per 1/2 a second.

You would be a criminal in CA. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
In the Army ~47 years ago I had to qualify with the M-16 and the M-14. I guess I am out of sync as I prefer the 14.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My first thought was an AR-10 and other non .226 variants.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

My first thought was an AR-10 and other non .226 variants.
I'm sure they mean ALL semi-auto rifles, not just AR clones. Like the Ruger 10-22. Actually, they would no doubt toss in semi-auto shotguns and pistols too.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
What about those of us who own them for completely phallic reasons? NBC snubbed us.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe Gregg Jarrett contributed to the report, he of bullet button fame.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
In the Army ~47 years ago I had to qualify with the M-16 and the M-14. I guess I am out of sync as I prefer the 14.

I too prefer the boom of doom the M14 slings downrange, but I own several AR15s.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun merchants say some buyers are also driven by a fascination with a weapon used in notoriously heinous crimes.

Yeah, this was my primary motivation to buy one. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
What about those of us who own them for completely phallic reasons? NBC snubbed us.

no respect there, but it's all a part of 'toxic masculinity' so we're covered by general hate and discontent even if they forgot us here.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a clear example of fake news.

The NBC reporter obviously made this up because it is what they believe.
Now you cannot prove that no merchant ever said this, but I would also bet that they cannot provide source of the statement.

What is true, is that there is a spike in sales after a heinous crime, such as seen with bump stocks.
However, this is due to fear of government restrictions, not fascinating of a weapon because it was used in a heinous crime.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:

This is a clear example of fake news.

The NBC reporter obviously made this up because it is what they believe.
Now you cannot prove that no merchant ever said this, but I would also bet that they cannot provide source of the statement.

What is true, is that there is a spike in sales after a heinous crime, such as seen with bump stocks.
However, this is due to fear of government restrictions, not fascinating of a weapon because it was used in a heinous crime.

It’s the Rather Rule.

Just because the evidence is fabricated doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
One thing that hit me when reading the article was there were several statements about "building your on"...with every part being available on the internet except the receiver (most of the public have no idea what that is in relation to a firearm)...I have more than a few family members and friends that were somewhat in shock to find out that I have built several and how easy it is...the first words out of their mouth (to paraphrase) was "you can't tell me that's not against the law" (they pretty much expressed the same about my reloading)...

I wonder if that part of the article (building) an AR is an attempt to bring to the public's attention the fact that it is done as part of a clandestine way to build an "assault rifle"...most of the followers of NBC have no idea the ins or outs of firearms or for that matter, anything other than what the MSM tells them...

Even a couple of the pictures in the article...the guy setting in a semidark room holding an AR and the guy standing somewhat camouflaged in the woods, have a creepy feel...they have expressionless faces showing no emotion...even the girl.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Fuck NBC

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post