SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Epic Iron Bowl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Epic Iron Bowl Login/Join 
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Great game. Too bad the zebras strongly influenced the outcome and they did so at the end of the first half. They basically gave Auburn an extra timeout and a free field goal try they otherwise never would OR SHOULD have had.

Runner makes a first down in the field of play with one (1) second left in the half. Clock should have stopped @ 1 sec and restarted when the chains were in place and the zebra wound the clock. NO WAY Auburn would have gotten the field goal unit on the field and attempted a try.

After review, I think the only fair thing would have been to put one second back on the clock ... start the clock ... then give Auburn that one second to get their field goal unit onto the field. Never would have happened.

Like I said, great game. But it should have been tied at the end of regulation and gone to overtime at the very least. Zebras made the Auburn winning difference in that game. Auburn win with an asterisk.

Go watch the sec channel review if the game. There’s a ex ref on that explains how the call to review the clock work was spot on for the zebras.
Even as an au grad I thought it was a little sketchy, but after hearing the ref explain I’m gtg. Saban got outcoached. At the end of the half and the end of the game.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an SEC outsider, could someone explain this War Eagle thing when the team is Auburn Tigers? More than 1 mascot at Auburn?

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
As an SEC outsider, could someone explain this War Eagle thing when the team is Auburn Tigers?
Big Grin Blood alcohol content Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an SEC outsider, could someone explain this War Eagle thing when the team is Auburn Tigers? More than 1 mascot at Auburn?

Fromthe Auburn University website:

"War Eagle" is Auburn's battle cry, not a mascot or nickname. The most popular story about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centers around a spectator who was a veteran of the Civil War. In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years. According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell "War Eagle" to spur on their team. At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died. But the battle cry "War Eagle" lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.

The 1914 contest with the Carlisle Indians provides another story. The toughest player on the Indians' team was a tackle named Bald Eagle. Trying to tire the big man, Auburn began to run play after play at his position. Without even huddling, the Auburn quarterback would yell "Bald Eagle," letting the rest of the team know that the play would be run at the imposing defensive man. Spectators, however, thought the quarterback was saying "War Eagle," and in unison, they began to chant the resounding cry. There is another story surrounding the 1914 Carlisle game. Each time the Indians had scored during the season, fans and the Carlisle players yelled, "War Eagle." But on this particular afternoon, it was Auburn's own Lucy Hairston who adopted the battle cry as he danced across the goal line for the only touchdown of the game

Another version of the War Eagle story comes from Indian lore. Legend says "War Eagle" was the name given to the large golden eagle by the Plains Indians because the eagle furnished feathers for use in their war bonnets. The rarest version of the origin of the "War Eagle" cry grew from a 1913 pep rally at Langdon Hall where students had gathered the day before the Georgia football game. Cheerleader Gus Graydon told the crowd, "If we are going to win this game, we'll have to get out there and fight, because this means war." During the frenzy, another student, E. T. Enslen, dressed in his military uniform, noticed something had dropped from his hat. Bending down, he saw it was the metal emblem of an eagle that had been loosened while he cheered. Someone asked him what he had found, and Enslen loudly replied, "It's a War Eagle!" History was made as the new cry echoed throughout the stadium the next day as Auburn battled Georgia.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah that was quite a game!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Great game. Too bad the zebras strongly influenced the outcome and they did so at the end of the first half. They basically gave Auburn an extra timeout and a free field goal try they otherwise never would OR SHOULD have had.
Yup.

Auburn****

Bama killed themselves with WAAAY too many penalties as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume those soldiers mentioned in the stories were Confederate soldiers . You know what comes next ... Wink

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Could someone help me figure out how to make this a screensaver on a MacBook to use until Christmas?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qd-qnfY44

I'm trying to find an audio file of the doink too, for a most splendid ringtone. That's been tough.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Refereeing, good or bad, lucky or unlucky, is part of the game.

It was a wild one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been at Jordan Hare on game day and the War Eagle flight is truly something to behold. Just incredible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
auburn also has "plainsman" as one of their things. Tigers, plainsman, eagles. confusinon abounds.

They don't have a tiger mascot like LSU does. They only live animal they've got is the Eagle. So - yeah confusing.

Of course Bama doesn't have an elephant either. And they ain't got a Tide hanging around. So who knows.

Best just to have one mascot and nickname that matches. Bulldogs.

Of course, the silly Vols, have a dog and some dude in a leather shirt...

I don't know. I give up.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
auburn also has "plainsman" as one of their things. Tigers, plainsman, eagles. confusinon abounds.

They don't have a tiger mascot like LSU does. They only live animal they've got is the Eagle. So - yeah confusing.

Of course Bama doesn't have an elephant either. And they ain't got a Tide hanging around. So who knows.

Best just to have one mascot and nickname that matches. Bulldogs.

Of course, the silly Vols, have a dog and some dude in a leather shirt...

I don't know. I give up.

If you're a fan of either of these teams you understand the origins of each of their battle cries, nicknames, and mascots, if you're not, no one really has enough free time to explain their provenance.

It's ok, most AU and UA fans don't get it either. Smile

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
And down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!

So so unfair.

Saban acts just like an eight year old when he gets beat. Wants to change the rules or he’s going home. Well...buy bye then!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Don’t care for either team, but its always hilarious to see Saban pissed off. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Heck. I thought this thread was about cast iron bowls, like my GF recently bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-I...id=1575431134&sr=8-4

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
“I felt it was unfair. They used strategy to win the game, and they didn’t give us a warning like, “Hey Alabama, we’re going to have our punter as a WR.” That was really mean and hurt my feelings and it was unfair and not nice.”

- Nick Saban, probably.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From an Ohio State fan and the husband of a Clemson fan: Thank-you Auburn! Saban's meltdown was a thing of beauty! Big Grin

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
ALABAMA beat themselves by letting emotions control their actions or non-actions... I am a LSU fan... loved it everytime SATIN (SABIN) actied like a upset 8yr old spoiled brat.. wonder how active the TRUE ALABAMA fans are out to have SABIN removed as coach and chased out of the state...
.............. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As stated before, congratulations to Auburn, they earned it.

Regarding the dislike for Nick:

Haters gonna' hate.

Nick has led his teams to more championships than anyone else in recent history.

You cannot win forever.

Yes, he does get emotional, but that is Nick.

It has been a helluva' run man.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Bama fan, I must admit that the game was both enjoyable and a pleasant surprise. By that, I refer to the fact that our backup QB played better than expected. I had assumed that we would score very little and not be able to keep our defense of the field. Credit to our QB for enduring a big stage and remaining competitive despite costly mistakes. He didn’t quit.

Unfortunately, I knew by 3rd Qtr that we’d lose and that field goals would decide the outcome.

If our coach insists on downplaying the importance of a kicker, I wish he’d go attempt the kicks himself rather than send another misguided young kid out onto the field.

Meanwhile, Nix and his receivers made some great plays and Gus truly did outcoach his rival.

The silver lining for Nick? He’ll invariably get another raise, as he typically does when we finish the season poorly. That’s logical. Right?

I’ve said my peace; I’m done.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post