SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mark Kelly running for McCain's old Senate seat in 2020
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Kelly running for McCain's old Senate seat in 2020 Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
1 + year to Wapner.

This douche needs to go away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He should run for McCain’s current seat.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'll bet no one saw that coming... Roll Eyes

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Can't say this surprises me, at all.

This guy seems to have lost his ability to actually think logically.

I understand his anger and hurt that his wife was badly injured by a nutcase, but I have trouble following the logic that the answer to such events is to outlaw guns.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I cant believe how much he has allowed his wife to exploited for political gains. Allowed may not be the right word, pushed maybe.

Have some fucking respect for your wife, trotting her out as a prize pony to show off her disability every time you feel its expedient.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He's not radical enough for the Dems.
Now days you have to be crazy to get any traction.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
He's not radical enough for the Dems.
Now days you have to be crazy to get any traction.

There's time for him to be brainwashed.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only disgust for a man so despicable as to parade around his disabled wife like a wounded trophy.

IMO, Kelly will seek and get the sympathy vote from gullible people while McSally remains on her fat ass and does little or no campaigning.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, somebody's gotta empty the drool cup.

Jus' sayin'

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
He's running because of Arizona's stagnant job growth. HAHAHAHAHAHA! It's called "job saturation"!

(And NO mention of gun control/ confiscation)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, the power of raw sanctimony.

Or not.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Follow the money on this one.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I cant believe how much he has allowed his wife to exploited for political gains. Allowed may not be the right word, pushed maybe.

Either way, “exploited” is exactly the right word.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
It isn't as though he'll flip the seat.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Can't say this surprises me, at all.

This guy seems to have lost his ability to actually think logically.

I understand his anger and hurt that his wife was badly injured by a nutcase, but I have trouble following the logic that the answer to such events is to outlaw guns.
Forgive me, but I don't think this guy gives a damn about his wife, beyond what he can use her and her name to accomplish. He's prostituted her around as a proponent of gun control when she hasn't the capacity to control her own bladder. This man is beneath contempt and completely devoid of any character or sense of integrity, which would likely make him a perfect replacement for McCain.

The Arizona Republican party had better get off their fat asses and run and support someone who can beat this POS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised by this, and he is no better than McStain for Az. His wife was shot by a loony-toon, and is doing life in prison....he should have been executed.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Guy I used to work for knew Kelly pretty well. They flew together a few times when they were both in the military. And then again when they were both in the NASA community. Kelly called him up when he was in town asking if he could drop by. "Nope". Guy I worked for has enough guns to loan out to small countries when they run short. I don't think it worth repeating his opinion of Kelly. Let's just say, it is in NO way positive.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mark Kelly can fuck himself. Or his twin.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Gotta watch this video of Mark Kelly hawking a MLM pyramid scheme in China.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...60e1e4b096f7d2db3f52

Mark Kelly, the former astronaut and prominent gun control advocate now on a glide path to the Democratic nomination to challenge Arizona GOP Sen. Martha McSally in 2020, gave a series of paid speeches prior to his run, between 2011 to 2016, in the United States and China on behalf of a multi-level marketing company that pitches nutritional supplements.

Kelly’s paid speaking engagements have come under scrutiny following reports that, for years, he has delivered speeches to financial and pharmaceutical industry interest groups, including Goldman Sachs and AmerisourceBergen. In March, he also returned the $55,000 he took for a speech he gave last year in the United Arab Emirates, to head off criticisms that he could be swayed by foreign influence.

Kelly has sworn off donations from corporate PACs for his Senate run, and Republicans and some progressives have argued his past willingness to accept corporate money for speeches makes that stance hypocritical or nonsensical, an argument Kelly has rejected.

“Corporate money in politics affects everything in a dramatic and negative way,” Kelly said Monday during an interview with KJZZ, the NPR affiliate in Phoenix. “I want to represent Arizonans and not corporations.”

But Kelly’s work on behalf of Shaklee, a multi-level marketing company that sells supplements, raises further eyebrows as he battles for McSally’s seat in November. The contest is considered a toss-up and is expected to be one of 2020’s marquee Senate races. Democrats need to win at least three Senate seats in 2020 to win back control of the upper chamber and have any hope of enacting their agenda, a victory in Arizona is likely essential.

Kelly was introduced to the company through NASA, which has a long-standing relationship with the company and gives astronauts some of Shaklee’s products to use in space.

Multi-level marketing, sometimes called pyramid selling, relies on a company that sells products in bulk to an initial group of buyers, who then sells those products to a larger group of buyers, who then sell those products to an even larger group of buyers and so on down the line, with the profits primarily accumulating to those at the top of the pyramid structure. Amway, the company founded by the family of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, is perhaps the best known MLM company. Others include Avon, Mary Kay, Herbalife and LuLaRoe.

The companies are controversial because of their often-aggressive marketing tactics and because significant numbers of people who buy the products are often unable to sell them further down the line, with some customers losing large sums of money. A 1999 study, published by the Federal Trade Commission, found 99 percent of multi-level marketing program participants lose money. The FTC’s website encourages consumers to ask “tough questions” before participating in an MLM and warns them that many MLMs promise “miracle cures” that turn out to be “unproven, fraudulently marketed, and useless.”

Shaklee, headquartered in California, has been in business for more than 100 years. It sells weight-loss kits, shakes, multivitamins, prenatal vitamins, anti-aging products, household cleaners and “performance packs” to improve athletic performance, claiming more than 140 Olympic medal winners have used its products. The company markets its products as backed by scientific studies and as environmentally-friendly. It also boasts of its A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

“Shaklee paid Mark a fee for speaking at our Shaklee Conferences because our Shaklee family has always been interested in the Space program and we thought Mark’s story would inspire our distributors,” the company said in a statement. “Throughout the company’s long history, Shaklee has become one of the most respected direct selling companies in the world and a trusted health partner to millions of customers.”

Kelly spoke at least three Shaklee events ― one in Orlando, one in China and one in Washington, D.C. – where he served as a motivational speaker of sorts for Shaklee distributors. The former astronaut often highlights his professional background when delivering lectures. In a video of his appearance in China, a Mandarin-language introduction says Kelly “lives in the hearts of the American people” before Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone” begins to play and Kelly drives on to the stage on a motorcycle.

“Now it is up to you. It is up to all of you to take those tools that that Shaklee and [Shaklee CEO Roger Barnett] has given you and turn it into something big,” Kelly says in the video. “Each and every one of you can create your own successful Shaklee business, and it is the rewards from that business that will help you achieve your own dreams.”

It’s unclear exactly how much Shaklee paid Kelly for these appearances. 2011 congressional financial disclosures from his wife, former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), does show Shaklee paid Kelly $50,000 in speaking fees that year.

Shaklee and the Kelly campaign both noted Kelly and other astronauts have long used Shaklee products in space ― Kelly mentions using both its rehydration pack and its vitamins while aboard the space shuttle. The company’s relationship with NASA dates to the early 1990s, well before Kelly became an astronaut. Former astronaut Alan Shepard spoke at Shaklee conferences and served on the company’s board of directors in the 1980s.

“NASA has had Shaklee products on every space flight since the early 1990s as part of the fluid loading protocol to counteract blood volume loss that happens in space, and Mark found both the rehydration drink and vitamins to be effective,” Kelly campaign spokesman Jacob Peters said. “Mark has given speeches to a number of organizations since retiring from NASA and has spoken about his experience in space.”

Barnett, Shaklee’s CEO, has long been a supporter of both Kelly and his wife. He donated more than $18,000 to Giffords’ campaigns from 2006 to 2011. He’s already donated the federal maximum of $5,600 to Kelly’s Senate bid. Barnett has long donated to politicians in both parties, including Mitt Romney, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Orrin Hatch and Hillary Clinton.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post