SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...ent-allegations.html

An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company.

During that time, after being confronted with allegations including sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact, Mr. Weinstein has reached at least eight settlements with women, according to two company officials speaking on the condition of anonymity. Among the recipients, The Times found, were a young assistant in New York in 1990, an actress in 1997, an assistant in London in 1998, an Italian model in 2015 and Ms. O’Connor shortly after, according to records and those familiar with the agreements.

In a statement to The Times on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Weinstein said: “I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.”

He added that he was working with therapists and planning to take a leave of absence to “deal with this issue head on.”

A longtime Democratic donor, he hosted a fund-raiser for Hillary Clinton in his Manhattan home last year. He employed Malia Obama, the oldest daughter of former President Barack Obama, as an intern this year, and recently helped endow a faculty chair at Rutgers University in Gloria Steinem’s name. During the Sundance Film Festival in January, when Park City, Utah, held its version of the nationwide women’s marches, Mr. Weinstein joined the parade.

“From the outside, it seemed golden — the Oscars, the success, the remarkable cultural impact,” said Mark Gill, former president of Miramax Los Angeles, which was then owned by Disney. “But behind the scenes, it was a mess, and this was the biggest mess of all,” he added, referring to Mr. Weinstein’s treatment of women.

Dozens of Mr. Weinstein’s former and current employees, from assistants to top executives, said they knew of inappropriate conduct while they worked for him. Only a handful said they ever confronted him.

Mr. Weinstein enforced a code of silence; employees of the Weinstein Company have contracts saying they will not criticize it or its leaders in a way that could harm its “business reputation” or “any employee’s personal reputation,” a recent document shows. And most of the women accepting payouts agreed to confidentiality clauses prohibiting them from speaking about the deals or the events that led to them.

Weinstein's response:

https://www.nytimes.com/intera...arvey-weinstein.html

includes

"I am going to need a place to channel the anger so I've decided that I'm going to give the NRA my full attention"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19495 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just desserts....couldn't happen to to scummier guy.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I love it when they eat their own.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Wait I thought he was a Proud Gay dude?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8317 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Let's see if women groups go after Harvey with the same intensity as they did with Bill O'Reilly...

<crickets>

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
something about "the seriousness of the charge", correct?

shouldn't he step down, sell all his stock and assets (and give it to charity), and don the hair shirt?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Weinstein changing strategy in his reaction to the NYT article

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c...his-attorney-1046170

Although Weinstein lawyered up in advance of today's story (as well as in front of another story said to be coming from The New Yorker), an actual filing of litigation was hardly a fait accompli.

Indeed, the initial reaction from Weinstein's camp struck a much softer tone. For instance, Weinstein's other attorney Lisa Bloom put out a statement that her client had "acknowledged mistakes," was "going to therapy" and was "an old dinosaur learning new ways." Bloom, who often stands with victims of sexual harassment and assault at press conferences, added that, "Harvey is not going to demean or attack any of the women making accusations against him."

but now,

On the heels of The New York Times' bombshell expose published Thursday about "decades of harassment" on the part of Harvey Weinstein, the mogul's attorney Charles Harder says he's preparing a lawsuit against the paper.

"The New York Times published today a story that is saturated with false and defamatory statements about Harvey Weinstein," he writes in an email to The Hollywood Reporter. "It relies on mostly hearsay accounts and a faulty report, apparently stolen from an employee personnel file, which has been debunked by nine different eyewitnesses. We sent the Times the facts and evidence, but they ignored it and rushed to publish. We are preparing the lawsuit now. All proceeds will be donated to women’s organizations."

Harder is perhaps most famous as the lawyer who represented Hulk Hogan in the litigation that brought down Gawker. He's also represented Melania Trump in a defamation action against the parent company of The Daily Mail. That case settled earlier this year. Harder also sent a cease and desist letter last year on behalf of Roger Ailes to New York Magazine, and in his career, Harder has represented many popular stars in entertainment including Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock.

As a public figure, Weinstein will need to show actual malice to prevail in a defamation lawsuit against The New York Times. By discussing how the paper ignored eyewitness statements, his attorney appears to be priming the coming argument that the paper's reporters recklessly disregarded truth

But Harder's talk of stolen files hints at more exotic claims against the paper. Also, Weinstein's settlements presumably carried confidentiality obligations, and if the New York Times knew about those, the movie mogul could eye a claim for tortious interference if any of the women who settled subsequently spoke to the paper about their ordeals.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Isn't that Harvey Fierstein?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
How do you like dem apples

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

? You could be right...
I'm not a big follower of that sort of thing.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8317 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Let's see if women groups go after Harvey with the same intensity as they did with Bill O'Reilly...

<crickets>

You'll never hear a peep of criticism from any democrat or liberal woman's organization against Weinstein. On the other hand if this was Trump or other conservative you'd never hear the end of it.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
He's gonna 'crash and burn'.
Sounds like he's 'going to wish he weren't alive after they're done with him'. Roll Eyes

Then again, maybe he can make a movie that will bring them to their knees. Big Grin

Posts: 7229 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Apparently, this was the worst kept secret in Hollywood for many many years. I wonder why the NYT is running with it now. I guess he served his purpose funding Obama and the Clintons and they no longer need him? Or maybe he got on Hillary's bad side? Something must be going on for this to become a story finally.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the media to start asking every dem he donated to when they are going to return the donation...Every interview with every dem needs to start with that question, like they would if he had donated to republicans.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this was Weinstein's response to the NYT article

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a scumbag, a total douchebag.

Name dropping, tutoring, therapy, mentioning mommy, throwing money at women groups, typical leftist asshole. And Dems will continue to suck this guy and take his money.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

? You could be right...
I'm not a big follower of that sort of thing.

Fire as in flaming. Wink

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if he has decided to give his full attention into going after the NRA, should members of the BRA give their full attention and go after him?

seems only fair and equitable to me

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what caused the nyt to take this on? This is kinda their third rail. I wonder if he made a pass at obama's daughter.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHHHAT ?!?!

You mean the Hollywood progressives who give all their campaign donations to Dems and support liberal causes are ACTUALLY the biggest DIRTBAGS out there??

My mind is BLOWN !

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post