SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
No. Trump was never accused of outright rape. Weinstein has been.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm asking you what you meant with the following statement, with "SEEMS" in it"
quote:
Since, as everyone has pointed out, this SEEMS more serious, maybe he is.
I'm asking you if you are actually comparing the accusations against President Trump to the VILE shit Weinstein is being accused of. Can you please answer this question? "Yes" or "No" will suffice.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Then what is this is all about? What is your point??

There's no Goddamned "SEEMS" about anything with this.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
My point is that everybody predicts the endpoint from the beginning. I'm just saying it might not end up how everyone thinks it will.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that Harvey Weinstein may very well come back to Hollywood and everything's gonna be peachy? Is that what you are trying to say? Because if not, I still do not understand your point, and if you have a problem with President Trump, then it's your problem, not ours. Let's be clear about that.

President Trump was accused of whatever, but he survived it, so Harvey may survive this? You are dreaming. There's no way. And keep Trump out of this stuff. Just because you don't like him, that doesn't mean you have to interject his name when you feel you have an opportunity.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, exactly. What I'm saying is that if he is not convicted or pleads guilty to some felony sexual assault charge, I consider it likely that within, say, five years, he'll be back to making movies like it never happened.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that Harvey Weinstein may very well come back to Hollywood and everything's gonna be peachy? Is that what you are trying to say? Because if not, I still do not understand your point, and if you have a problem with President Trump, then it's your problem, not ours. Let's be clear about that.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Time will tell, but you are completely wrong. He can never come back. Never, ever, ever can he come back. A blind man could see it. He's a complete pariah and utterly useless now. Worse than useless, actually. Anyone associating with him is committing professional suicide.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe you're right. But I've seen a lot of pariahs come back from the social dead.

Why do I say this? Because he's proven that he can deliver the goods. He has a long track record of making movies that are successful and profitable. And, as radioactive as he seems now, if he stays off the radar for a few years, studio executives will start taking his calls again. They'll need a winner, and he's shown he can deliver them. In the end, to the studio executives, it only the money that counts.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This will have loooong term effects on Hollywood and the Democratic party.
The money train just fell off the track.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Maybe you're right. But I've seen a lot of pariahs come back from the social dead.

Why do I say this? Because he's proven that he can deliver the goods. He has a long track record of making movies that are successful and profitable. And, as radioactive as he seems now, if he stays off the radar for a few years, studio executives will start taking his calls again. They'll need a winner, and he's shown he can deliver them. In the end, to the studio executives, it only the money that counts.

So who has come back from such a feet? Roman polanski?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Did you see what I initially posted that started this discussion?

Yes, to Para's point, the allegations against Trump were not as severe. That's why I added the qualification that if he got convicted of something I do think he's done.

And Polanski plead guilty to a felony. Subsequent to that, he continued working (in Europe.)

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Proof of how much Obamacare sucks - he has to go to Europe for treatment...

HARVEY WEINSTEIN
Flying to Europe Tonight
FOR SEX ADDICTION REHAB

Harvey Weinstein is boarding a private jet Tuesday night, bound for a rehab center in Europe for sex addiction ...

Uh, no, Harvey is still in town. According to LAPD, Weinstein's daughter called police this afternoon to report her father was suicidal and depressed. By the time LE arrived, he had left, leaving his daughter to deal with police.

TMZ had their paparazzi there and everything Big Grin

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/11/...icide-threat-police/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just like Donald Trump- suicidal, out in the street flagging down passing cars.

You're right BBMW, I do see the similarities.

posted Hide Post
Is it wrong that I'm having quite a bit of schadenfreude?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think it's funny as shit. A mountain of karma, delivered in a matter of days.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Kennedys have been restored by rehab stints for all sorts of social lapses, shall we say.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I did see your post. My question still stands, who that was accused of sexual assault, been called out by all of hollywood, that "paid off" victims as its been reported is still trauncing around holywood post 5 years now? Im asking for an example as I am not as informed about hollywood.

quote:
Did you see what I initially posted that started this discussion?

Yes, to Para's point, the allegations against Trump were not as severe. That's why I added the qualification that if he got convicted of something I do think he's done.

And Polanski plead guilty to a felony. Subsequent to that, he continued working (in Europe.)

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
one more problem for Harvey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...mp-Justice-Dept.html

The FBI has opened an investigation into Harvey Weinstein, DailyMail.com has exclusively learned.

DailyMail.com understands the move came at the behest of the Department of Justice, run by Donald Trump's Attorney General Jeff Sessions, which instructed the bureau to investigate the mounting allegations leveled at the movie mogul.

The move by the DOJ came amid rumors that Weinstein plans to head to Europe for sex rehab – leading to fears of a Roman Polanski-style situation where he dodges prosecution in the U.S.

The FBI can both look at whether he has committed any federal crimes in the U.S. and prepare extradition proceedings if he remains in Europe.

Among the allegations against Weinstein, which the FBI is expected to examine, is that he forced Lucia Evans, a student who wanted to be an actress, to perform oral sex on him in New York in 2004.

New York State has no statute of limitations on rape and criminal sexual acts - its legal term for forced oral or anal intercourse.

The move by the DOJ comes as it emerged the movie mogul has taken on top criminal defense lawyers Blair Berk and David Chesnoff.

The pair will join his expanding legal team following an article in the New Yorker, which alleged three women were sexually assaulted by him.

Up to 30 women have now come forward to make allegations of sexual misconduct.

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Lie with dogs...

"Democrats under pressure to return Harvey Weinstein's campaign contributions as Cara Delevigne joins list of accusers"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...paign-contributions/

Harvey Weinstein, pictured with Michelle Obama in the White House
Harriet Alexander, new york Rob Crilly, new york Kate McCann, senior political correspondent Patrick Sawer, senior reporter
11 OCTOBER 2017 • 9:54PM
Leading Democrats in the United States were coming under immense pressure on Wednesday to return their campaign contributions from disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein, as the fallout from the sexual harassment and abuse scandal that has shocked Hollywood spread to Washington.

Weinstein is said to have arrived at an undisclosed location in Europe, in rehab, while his wife Georgina Chapman announced that she was leaving him.

On Wednesday Cara Delevigne, Heather Graham and Lea Seydoux came forward to accuse Weinstein of assault, while Keira Knightely spoke out in support of the victims.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) suspended his membership, the BBC sacked him as producer of a television series of Les Miserables, and calls were growing for his CBE to be revoked.

New York-born Weinstein, 65, had over the course of 25 years accumulated more than $2.2 million (£1.7m) in donations for the Democrats - both through personal contributions and “bundles”, funds raised by rallying his friends.

By the end of the 2016 cycle, Weinstein had donated more than $26,000 to Hillary Clinton, and put another $15,000 total into the political action committee HILLPAC, over 17 years of her political career. A fundraiser for her election campaign, in June 2016, raised more than $1.8 million for her presidential run.

He was also a strong supporter of Barack Obama, eventually donating over $45,000. The Obamas sent their daughter Malia to intern for Weinstein's company last year.

Both the Obamas and Mrs Clinton on Tuesday issued statements condemning Weinstein – five days after the scandal first broke.

But neither mentioned returning the funds.

Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance, who is also a Democrat, declined to prosecute Weinstein in 2015 when handed an audio tape from an Italian-Filipina actress, Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, in which Weinstein admitting groping her.

Months later Mr Vance received a $10,000 campaign contribution from one of Weinstein’s lawyers, David Boies.

“If we could have prosecuted Harvey Weinstein for the conduct that occurred in 2015, we would have,” said Karen Friedman-Agnifilo, chief assistant district attorney, in a statement defending the decision.

She said the recorded meeting between Gutierrez and Weinstein, as well as a controlled call between the two the night before, were made “without our knowledge or input.”

“The seasoned prosecutors in our Sex Crimes Unit were not afforded the opportunity before the meeting to counsel investigators on what was necessary to capture in order to prove a misdemeanor sex crime,” she said.

“While the recording is horrifying to listen to, what emerged from the audio was insufficient to prove a crime under New York law, which requires prosecutors to establish criminal intent.”

Mr Vance’s spokesman said that Mr Boies was not representing Weinstein in the 2015 investigation, and Mr Boies’s firm said that he never spoke to Mr Vance abut Weinstein.

Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, senators for New York, quickly donated the contributions he had made to their campaigns to charity.

But Andrew Cuomo, governor of New York, who received $60,000, has not followed suit, the New York Republicans allege.

And Republicans have noted the relative slowness of Democrats’ response and made calls for them to return donations tied to Weinstein.

“During three decades’ worth of sexual harassment allegations, Harvey Weinstein lined the pockets of Democrats to the tune of three-quarters of a million dollars,” said Ronna Romney McDaniel, RNC Chairwoman.

“If Democrats and the DNC truly stand up for women like they say they do, then returning this dirty money should be a no brainer.”

Donald Trump Jr. and Juanita Broaddrick, who accused Bill Clinton of raping her in 1978, mocked Mrs Clinton, with the president’s son referencing her new book about the 2016 campaign.

“Weird, Hillary has been really quiet about Harvey Weinstein,” he tweeted. “You would think she would be all Over this. #WhatHappened?”

President Donald Trump told reporters on Saturday that the allegations were no surprise to him.

“I’ve known Harvey Weinstein for a long time. I’m not at all surprised to see it,” he said.

In the UK, Labour MPs vowed to refer him to the honours forfeiture committee, meaning he could be stripped of his CBE.

A spokesman for Theresa May said the reports are "deeply concerning" but highlighted the independence of the committee which has the power to remove an honour bestowed by the UK - something the Prime Minister cannot do herself.

They did not comment on calls for her to refer Mr Weinstein's case for consideration but a group of Labour shadow ministers vowed to raise their concerns in a bid to have his CBE removed.

An open letter to the Prime Minister states: "[Mr Weinstein's] actions are unacceptable and intolerable. They were unacceptable in the 1960s, they are unacceptable now and they may well be criminal under US and UK law.

"His continued membership runs the risk of bringing the honours system into disrepute and, moreover, sending the deeply troubling signal that our Government does not take women's voices or allegations of sexual harassment seriously.”

The independent committee has the power to remove honours bestowed by the UK if the person concerned is imprisoned for at least three months for a criminal offence or if they are "censured or struck off by a professional or regulatory body for something directly relevant to their honour".

The committee states that "other reasons for forfeiture can also be considered" and anyone is free to make a referral if they feel the system has been brought into disrepute.

Fred Goodwin, the former chief executive of RBS, was the last person to have an honour removed when he lost his knighthood in 2012.

In Hollywood, a movie financier is reportedly demanding the Weinstein Company immediately repay a $45m (£34m) investment as the toxic fall-out from the sex scandal threatens the fortunes of the business he co-founded. At least one major project has already been cancelled and the company has begun removing Weinstein’s name from a number of productions.

It shows the damage done to a brand that was able to compete with the major studios during awards season, winning the Oscar for best picture five times in 16 years.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which hosts the Oscars, has said the sexual abuse allegations against Weinstein are "repugnant" and "abhorrent" and it will be holding a meeting on Saturday to discuss any action to be taken.

In addition to the reputational cost, the celebrity news site TMZ reported that AI Industries, which is owned by Britain’s richest man Sir Leonard Blavatnik, is demanding its cash be returned.

“The dismissal of Harvey Weinstein from his position as co-chairman” constitutes a “material adverse change”, according to a demand understood to have been sent to the Weinstein Company, allowing them to demand immediate repayment of the loan.

Weinstein had long been seen as the visionary behind the company, attracting the best talent and pursuing vigorous campaigns to ensure a good showing at the Academy Awards for films such as Shakespeare in Love.

Details emerged a day after Apple TV reportedly killed off plans for a biopic series on Elvis Presley that was to be produced by the Weinstein Company.

Executives at the company are also believed to be considering changing its name and have begun removing Weinstein’s credit from forthcoming TV productions as they seek to limit the damage.

His name has already been removed from a soon-to-be-released film starring Benedict Cumberbatch. He was originally listed as an executive producer, alongside his brother Bob, on The Current War, which tells the story of the battle for electricity provision at the end of the 19th Century.

But his credit was removed after the film opened to a lukewarm reception at the Toronto Film Festival in September.

The decision was explained in part as a way to soften the harsh reaction of some critics, but has raised questions about whether the company knew that The New York Times and the New Yorker were preparing major exposes of Mr Weinstein’s behaviour.

He was fired by the company on Sunday for breaching its code of ethics but has since retained the services of a heavyweight corporate litigator to fight the decision.

On Wednesday French actress Lea Seydoux, who starred in the Bond film Spectre and won the Palme d'Or for Blue is the Warmest Colour, alleged that she fought off Weinstein when he tried to kiss her.

"All throughout the evening, he flirted and stared at me as if I was a piece of meat,"she wrote, in an op ed.

"He acted as if he were considering me for a role. But I knew that was bull----. I knew it, because I could see it in his eyes. He had a lecherous look. He was using his power to get sex."

She claimed he invited her to his hotel room, and they were talking on the sofa "when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me."

She continued: "I had to defend myself. He’s big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted. I wasn’t afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along."

Earlier on Wednesday Cara Delevingne came forward to tell how Weinstein implied they should have sex after he invited her to his hotel room to discuss her film career.

Delevingne said she had just started working as an actress when Weinstein tried to kiss her, and that she did not speak out for fear of upsetting Weinstein’s family and because she was scared of the repercussions.

She said that although she managed to flee the room “I still got the part in the film and always thought he gave it to me because of what happened. Since then I felt awful that I did the movie.”

In a statement issued on Wednesday Delevingne added: “I want women and girls to know that being harassed or raped or abused is never their fault and not talking about it will always cause more damage than speaking the truth.”

She also said the producer had asked her about her relationship with women she had been seen with in public - and told her that she would not get any parts as a straight woman if she came out as gay. She alleged that he asked her to kiss a female assistant that was with him at the meeting.

Actress Heather Graham also told of her guilt for not previously speaking out over Weinstein’s abusive behaviour.

The star of Twin Peaks, The Hangover, Boogie Nights said Weinstein implied he would make her career prosper if she had sex with him during a meeting to discuss a film role in the early 2000s.

In a powerful account of her experience of Weinstein’s behaviour Graham said he had called her into his office and shown her a pile of scripts, saying that he wanted to cast her in one of his films. He then claimed he had an agreement with his then wife, Eve Chilton, that he could sleep with whoever he wanted when he was “out of town”.

Graham said: “I walked out of the meeting feeling uneasy. There was no explicit mention that to star in one of those films I had to sleep with him, but the subtext was there.”

She added: “I was never hired for one of his films.”

Graham says she now feels guilty for not speaking out over his behaviour at the time, saying she fears that by keeping quiet she made it easier for him to harass other women.
She told Vanity Fair magazine: “It wasn’t until Ashley Judd heroically shared her story a few days ago that I felt ashamed. If I had spoken up a decade ago, would I have saved countless women from the same experience I had or worse?”

Graham, who said that she feared she would not be believed if she reported Weinstein’s behaviour at the time and had not wanted to be defined as “a difficult woman”, added: “I’m glad the victims are being heard, that powerful voices in the industry are speaking up to say this kind of behaviour isn’t acceptable anymore, and that a predator is finally facing the consequences — it means the world is starting to change for the better.

“While I still do feel guilty for not speaking up all those years ago, I’m glad for this moment of reckoning.”

Knightley
Keira Knightley with Harvey Weinstein in January 2015
Knightley, who won a best supporting actress Oscar nomination for her part in the Weinstein produced drama The Imitation Game and was photographed with him at Hollywood parties, said she was “profoundly shocked” by reports of his “disgusting behaviour”.

In a statement to The Daily Telegraph, the British-born actress said: “I worked with Mr Weinstein twice and although he was bullish in his marketing of the films, he was always professional with me.

“I had heard rumours of his tantrums and bullying but not of the extreme sexual harassment and abuse that is coming to light now.”

Knightley added: “I would like to applaud the extraordinary bravery of the women who are coming forward. It is only through acts of bravery like this that we will see change.

"I believe we need a serious discussion about women's treatment in the workplace and the culture that allows people like Mr Weinstein to so abhorrently abuse their power. It would be naive to assume that this is an isolated case in the film industry or any other and while women remain so underrepresented across all professions and in politics, they remain at risk.”

Weinstein
Harvey Weinstein with Gwyneth Paltrow in 1999
Ewan McGregor also spoke out, describing Weinstein as a "bully" over the multiple allegations of sexual abuse.

The star of Trainspotting and the Star Wars prequel, said he had "heard rumours" over the years and said the producer was now getting what he deserved.

McGregor wrote on Twitter: "Weinstein. It's about time this came to light and he is getting is just deserts. Heard rumours over the years but this is awful. Bye Bully!"

Fellow actor Kevin Bacon praised the courage of the women who have come forward to denounce Weinstein.

He tweeted: "Fathers. Teach your sons to respect woman. Teach your daughters to use their power like the voices of these heroic woman speaking out."

The British Film Institute (BFI) said it "wholeheartedly support(s) those brave enough to come forward and speak out" against Weinstein.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's all this "bravery" stuff?

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
They’re going to change the name of the company. Miramax is also eternally tainted.

Nothing he’s built will likely survive.

Good.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post