SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Hell you say?

Hillary said this was well in the past. Roll Eyes

Something like already litigated was her sympathetic wording...right?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I thought of a great nickname for this guy, although I'm certain I'm not the first to think of it: Harvey Wallbanger

he he

And there there's this:

Pressure on NBC exec to resign after revelation he dined with sex creep Harvey Weinstein before spiking expose

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

what the heck...

quote:
it appears the pair were socializing in black tie at a star-packed event after Oppenheim became aware of damning evidence obtained by his own news organization.

this was like months before they reported it. So, they had this information, NBC news that is, and they didn't report it, but they think this guy should resign because he dined with Harvey, before they reported it, and he may have been the reason they didn't report it. He "spiked" the story, whatever that means.

This is getting ridiculous.

then there's this
quote:
perceived conflicts of interest on his part as NBC News president can affect not only his own credibility but also that of the company

No, I think the company's reputation was decided years ago.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
this was like months before they reported it. So, they had this information, NBC news that is, and they didn't report it, but they think this guy should resign because he dined with Harvey, before they reported it.

This is getting ridiculous.

Yes. An NBC News reporter had all the information and the story was ready to go to air, but execs at NBC refused to let it go to air.

Months later, the NY Times ran a story on Weinstein and then the reporter for NBC came out and revealed that he had the story ready to go but NBC execs would not let it go to air, presumably because NBC execs are chums with Weinstein.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
He "spiked" the story, whatever that means.
Look up "receipt spike". These gadgets used to sit on office desks, to hold paper items. When an editor spiked a story, it means it didn't leave his desk and therefore never was published.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Ok, I get it now.

From the timing of it....
quote:
“Executives at NBC knew exactly what Weinstein was doing nearly a year ago,”

So, a year ago, they stopped the story. Plus, this Weinstein guy was a huge Hillary donor/supporter/etc. I know conspiracies are often frowned upon here on Sigforum, but one can't help but notice that a "nearly a year ago" was smack on top of election day. One has to wonder.....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I get it now.

From the timing of it....
quote:
“Executives at NBC knew exactly what Weinstein was doing nearly a year ago,”

So, a year ago, they stopped the story. Plus, this Weinstein guy was a huge Hillary donor/supporter/etc. I know conspiracies are often frowned upon here on Sigforum, but one can't help but notice that a "nearly a year ago" was smack on top of election day. One has to wonder.....

its not so much a conspiracy as people just love to make money and will sell their mother for a nickel.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, had the timing been different, it could be that Hillary Clinton's What Happened might have had an entire chapter devoted to Weinstein.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
its not so much a conspiracy as people just love to make money and will sell their mother for a nickel.
"Good news, mum! Moving day!"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^Ok, I snorted. Hard.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
some heavy shit here

https://www.newyorker.com/news...steins-army-of-spies

In the fall of 2016, Harvey Weinstein set out to suppress allegations that he had sexually harassed or assaulted numerous women. He began to hire private security agencies to collect information on the women and the journalists trying to expose the allegations. According to dozens of pages of documents, and seven people directly involved in the effort, the firms that Weinstein hired included Kroll, which is one of the world’s largest corporate-intelligence companies, and Black Cube, an enterprise run largely by former officers of Mossad and other Israeli intelligence agencies.

Black Cube, which has branches in Tel Aviv, London, and Paris, offers its clients the skills of operatives “highly experienced and trained in Israel’s elite military and governmental intelligence units,” according to its literature.

Two private investigators from Black Cube, using false identities, met with the actress Rose McGowan, who eventually publicly accused Weinstein of rape, to extract information from her. One of the investigators pretended to be a women’s-rights advocate and secretly recorded at least four meetings with McGowan. The same operative, using a different false identity and implying that she had an allegation against Weinstein, met twice with a journalist to find out which women were talking to the press. In other cases, journalists directed by Weinstein or the private investigators interviewed women and reported back the details.

The explicit goal of the investigations, laid out in one contract with Black Cube, signed in July, was to stop the publication of the abuse allegations against Weinstein that eventually emerged in the New York Times and The New Yorker. Over the course of a year, Weinstein had the agencies “target,” or collect information on, dozens of individuals, and compile psychological profiles that sometimes focussed on their personal or sexual histories. Weinstein monitored the progress of the investigations personally. He also enlisted former employees from his film enterprises to join in the effort, collecting names and placing calls that, according to some sources who received them, felt intimidating.

In some cases, the investigative effort was run through Weinstein’s lawyers, including David Boies, a celebrated attorney who represented Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential-election dispute and argued for marriage equality before the U.S. Supreme Court. Boies personally signed the contract directing Black Cube to attempt to uncover information that would stop the publication of a Times story about Weinstein’s abuses, while his firm was also representing the Times, including in a libel case.

and lots more ....

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's nuts. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That's nuts. ^

Dude was running a full time intelligence / counter - intelligence operation against the press and anyone he thought was a threat to him.

And people involved thought it was just for the occasional unwanted advance or inappropriate kiss. Roll Eyes

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Wow.

I know some folks who hired similar folks for the inverse, so to speak, to gather detailed intelligence under several guises, and eventually run off (which is putting it politely) a fucknut boyfriend who their college aged daughter was involved with, which is at least sort of understandable though heavy handed and over the top.

But this - this is the shit you see in the movies, by a creepy fuck *in the movie business* (could have just as easily been some government official / Senator). It's surreal, not because it's surprising to hear but because it's very real, too real, and a reminder of the sort of vile shit some people with extraordinary means do because they think they can.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this, for Harvey in particular.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Maureen O’Hara came out in 1945.

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...ady-to-quit-now.html

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dude was running a full time intelligence / counter - intelligence operation against the press and anyone he thought was a threat to him.

It would have been cheaper, easier, and more discreet to purchase the highest end prostitutes that the world has to offer.

Clearly a control issue.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
What fun - the Weinslime scandal may take another scalp. The article referenced above points out the big time dem lawyer David Boies was playing (and getting paid) to both defend and fight the NY Times. Gotta hope for referral to the Bar for some needed discipline.

Relevant excerpt below.

The contract, which the magazine published on its website, had as its signatory a Weinstein lawyer, David Boies, a Democratic Party stalwart who argued for marriage equality at the Supreme Court and represented Al Gore in the disputed 2000 presidential election.

Mr. Boies’s firm, Boies Schiller Flexner L.L.P., has provided The Times with outside legal counsel in three legal matters over the past 10 years, including one libel case. The newspaper released a stern statement on Monday night about Mr. Boies’s involvement in the effort to undermine its reporting and its reporters.

“We learned today that the law firm of Boies Schiller and Flexner secretly worked to stop our reporting on Harvey Weinstein at the same time as the firm’s lawyers were representing us in other matters,” the statement read. “We consider this intolerable conduct, a grave betrayal of trust, and a breach of the basic professional standards that all lawyers are required to observe. It is inexcusable and we will be pursuing appropriate remedies.”

On Monday night, David McCraw, The Times’s deputy general counsel, declined to say what those remedies might be. But, he said, “I think that what they owe us is an explanation of what actually happened,” adding, “We need to know much more.”

Mr. Boies did not respond to an email inquiry on Monday. But he told The New Yorker that while he oversaw the contract, he himself did not select the firm or direct its agents. And while he said he did not believe his work for Mr. Weinstein and his firm’s representation of The Times represented a conflict, “We should not have been contracting and paying investigators that we did not select and direct.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...r.html?smid=tw-share

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Uh-oh. That's OK given informed consent, but otherwise that's a no-no even in California.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
But this - this is the shit you see in the movies, by a creepy fuck *in the movie business* (could have just as easily been some government official / Senator). It's surreal, not because it's surprising to hear but because it's very real, too real, and a reminder of the sort of vile shit some people with extraordinary means do because they think they can.

Yeah, that kinda makes you wonder whether the shadowy impossibly rich and powerful bad guy in the next Matt Damon/Mark Wahlberg/Steven Segal/Robert DeNiro conspiracy thriller is going to be a big movie producer, doesn't it?

Helpful hint: the only guy in LA who could tell the story or write the script - and survive the experience - is going to be James Elroy.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
It would have been cheaper, easier, and more discreet to purchase the highest end prostitutes that the world has to offer.

Clearly a control issue.

Absolutely. It is very clear that the guy gets off on controlling woman. I mean telling the one woman to just stand there and "shut up" while jizzing into a potted plant is sick. That's how he gets off.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post