SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT cites Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I remember when Corey Feldman was making such statements, I figured (after the news broke about Weinstein) it was him.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Getting closer to a Cosby amount of accusations.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Harsh! Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
You know what? I'm not going to blame the victims. A powerful hollywood mogul and a complicit media willing to cover up for him makes an impossible situation for a young person.

While some of these women are likely victims, I'd wager that the better portion knew well in advance what was going to happen and how much they'd be paid. If that's the price to be in Hollywood, I wouldn't want my daughter to even think about it. These powerful executives only have the power to persuade people to do things within their realm of control, ie: take your dicking or you won't be in my movie and I'll get you black listed with everyone else. That's fine, except, we are seeing that women (AND MEN) are setting any shred of decency and morals that they may have aside and bending over and taking the dicking. The victim cannot be a victim, if they accept the others control in exchange for income. With the exception of forceful rape (which has been accused), there is a very narrow window of being a victim. These women could have told Harvey Weinstein to piss up a rope and walked, but they did whatever they were being paid to do.

Being morally bankrupt does not make anyone a victim:

I truly believe that anyone that accepted his hush money is complicit and as guilty of sexual harassment as Harvey Weinstein, because their in-actions led to him victimizing the next person. They were complicit in the cover up, which makes them as much a part of it as he was.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Well, you let me know when the later victims start suing the earlier victims.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So apparently the solution to all of this is islam Roll Eyes

quote:

Independent: Teachings of Islam Could Prevent Hollywood Sex Scandals

Alleging U.S. “rape culture” caused the Hollywood sex abuse scandal, UK news site the Independent has claimed that only Islam can provide the answer to preventing violence against women.

“Harvey Weinstein is just another case of a powerful man abusing women because we live in a society that lets him get away with it, but we can change that,” writes U.S-based civil rights lawyer Qasim Rashid in a piece for the former newspaper, now a website, the independence of which has been called into question after a key stake was bought by Saudi investor Sultan Muhammad Abuljadayel

Describing anyone who is shocked by allegations against the liberal Hollywood executive as “dangerously ignorant to reality”, the Muslim activist declares that “the cancer of sexual abuse against women that we see in Christian majority America is just as prevalent in Muslim majority Pakistan.” you don't say

“Every level of society – social norms, media, and Government – is complicit in promoting the rape culture that perpetuates sexual abuse,” Rashid writes, going on to slam America’s criminal justice system as ineffective in countering sexual violence.

In order to prevent gender-based violence against women, according to Rashid, countries must adopt a “proven Islamic model that will stop this madness, and re-invoke gender equity today in America, and the world”.

Warning that attempts to legislate against sex attacks are doomed to fail, “because state laws only punish the actor once the act is completed, they don’t prevent the act in the first place”, the attorney argues that Islamic teachings “provide a solution that no state truly can”.

According to Rashid, the Quran “establishes men and women as equal beings”, while verses of the Muslim holy book instruct adherents of Islam to behave in such a way that women are never harmed or abused.

Pointing to the Islamic headscarf, he writes: “It is men who are first commanded to never gawk at women, and instead guard their private parts and chastity, regardless of how women choose to dress – pre-empting sexual abuse.

“The Quran further obliges men to provide for a woman’s every financial need, while holding that anything a woman earns is hers alone – preempting financial abuse,” reads another example.

Published on Sunday, the article has been met with some controversy, including a takedown by Jihad Watch director Robert Spencer, who dissembled what he called “deceptive” quoting of the Quran, accusing Rashid of trying to “hoodwink people into ignorance and complacency regarding the sexual abuse that is rampant and taken for granted in Muslim countries”.

On social media, a tweet by the Independent promoting the article, which was entitled “How the teachings of Islam could help us prevent more sexual abuse scandals”, attracted significant backlash.

The post gathered more than two thousand replies, the majority of which attacked the premise of Rashid’s article, with users pointing to rampant violence against women in the Islamic world, migrant sex attacks in Europe, and the UK grooming scandals, which saw gangs of predominantly Muslim men rape, abuse, and traffick underage white girls.

On Reddit, the piece was also poorly received, with users on the site’s forum for ex-Muslims pointing out that Rashid belongs to the heavily persecuted Ahmadiyya sect.

“I hate how Qasim Rashid always pretends he represents all Muslims while being an Ahmadi aka rejected by 99% of Muslims and his entire ‘sect’ touted as completely unislamic by the vast majority of Muslims,” one post reads.

Breitbart London has previously reported how Ahmadis — a moderate sect frequently behind initiatives promoting interfaith peace and tolerance — are promoted as representative of the wider Muslim community in the UK media, which usually fails to mention their violent persecution at the hands of other Muslims, who consider members of the sect to be “apostates”.

http://www.breitbart.com/londo...-scandal-sell-islam/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ Women might be safer, but I also bet we'd be seeing a lot more young boys, and goats, in major Hollywood roles.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
These powerful executives only have the power to persuade people to do things within their realm of control, ie: take your dicking or you won't be in my movie and I'll get you black listed with everyone else. That's fine, except, we are seeing that women (AND MEN) are setting any shred of decency and morals that they may have aside and bending over and taking the dicking. The victim cannot be a victim, if they accept the others control in exchange for income. With the exception of forceful rape (which has been accused), there is a very narrow window of being a victim. These women could have told Harvey Weinstein to piss up a rope and walked, but they did whatever they were being paid to do.

Coercion does not have to be physical. There's a difference between "I will pay you to do this" and "if you don't do this, I will screw up your life/take away your livelihood/make it so you can't do what you love anymore."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
"So tell me _____ how bad do you want to be a star?........."

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
These powerful executives only have the power to persuade people to do things within their realm of control, ie: take your dicking or you won't be in my movie and I'll get you black listed with everyone else. That's fine, except, we are seeing that women (AND MEN) are setting any shred of decency and morals that they may have aside and bending over and taking the dicking. The victim cannot be a victim, if they accept the others control in exchange for income. With the exception of forceful rape (which has been accused), there is a very narrow window of being a victim. These women could have told Harvey Weinstein to piss up a rope and walked, but they did whatever they were being paid to do.

Coercion does not have to be physical. There's a difference between "I will pay you to do this" and "if you don't do this, I will screw up your life/take away your livelihood/make it so you can't do what you love anymore."

I get that, but I really have a problem with someone taking money, a starring role, or whatever financial arrangement in exchange for their silence, further allowing this kind of activity to continue. I would never whore myself out in exchange for any amount of money, but then again, I have morals. Those morals would stop me from pursuing a career in showbiz if I was told I had to sleep my way into a role. There would be no stopping me from telling the world how morally bankrupt those in showbiz either....now, if people choose to put their heads in the sand and not heed the warning, then that's on them and I wouldn't be above telling them "I told you so".

How would you handle your boss taking you on a business trip and saying: maladat, I've got $250,000 and a contract for you to sign, but in order for you to get it, you'll be doing whatever I ask sexually and you will never speak of it to anyone? If you ever speak of what is going on, I'll be sure that you never work around here ever again and I can make your life a living hell, so you may as well accept.

Now, you can say fuck my morals and accept the offer which would make you a whore.
You could tell him/her to fuck off and offer a "I won't tell if you won't tell",

OR

You could kick him/her in the junk and tell every living soul what an asshole he/she is and keep your integrity. Job security is nothing if it means selling your soul!

Quick edit to add:

I do not think it is right that he did anything that he did. I am just pointing out the notion of being a "victim" in situations like these women are claiming. There is no justification for a man to do any of what is claimed, but I think we are handing out passes a little to easily for some of the women.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Wow. It's a good thing for Harvey that he never harassed you.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's not just a threat against their livelihood if they talked, he had them sign Nondisclosure Agreements.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-id...exual-harassment-nda

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For most of these women, there was no upside to saying anything. How do you prove that Harvey came out of the bathroom naked asking for a massage? He'd just deny it. You're back to square one, he's still a movie mogul.

I can see them just wanting to get on with their lives and avoiding him.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
It's not just a threat against their livelihood if they talked, he had them sign Nondisclosure Agreements.

NDA is simply common practice for most settlements of any type.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

NDA is simply common practice for most settlements of any type.

Employees were required to sign when they were 'hired':

quote:
According to a New York Times report, employees of Weinstein’s company are required to sign contracts promising not to make statements that could harm the reputation of the firm or its top executives.

And then if they sued him for harassment, they settled out of court, and of course had them sign another NDA in order to settle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You can be sure it rarely ever goes down like you're discussing. ^ Because if it did, far more would rebuke such clumsy attempts, because while some hot starlet may be perfectly willing to get down for a movie deal, truly willingly or after rationalizing it away via some bullshit or classic repression, they don't actually want to feel like a whore or the like, and so the game is played, hardly different than dating games of the regular variety. Try waving a Benjamin at some hottie and flatly suggesting a fuck, versus the normal dance.

Instead, it would be more like "I hear you want to work with Spielberg/etc, I may be able to help with that...", to which her eyes light up, "but we're at a party right now, and I'm tired of talking business, let's have another drink", or any one of countless other vague inferences and sly grins. Now, with someone like Harvey, maybe he got bored, more impatient, and bolder / more blatant, pissed off too many, but that's the exception, which is part of how and why such things go on with such regularity and for decades or more.

Because when it actually happens, it's much more subtle than "hey, compromise your morals and ignore your marriage, get undressed and fuck me for a deal/job/promotion...".

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
For most of these women, there was no upside to saying anything. How do you prove that Harvey came out of the bathroom naked asking for a massage? He'd just deny it. You're back to square one, he's still a movie mogul.

I can see them just wanting to get on with their lives and avoiding him.

That's really my point. It's the actions of all of the previous "victims" that allowed him to go on so long, because they just held their collective tongues and drove on. Any one of these women that was raped could have filed a rape report with the police department whose jurisdiction it happened in. Hopefully, their case would be investigated fully and prosecuted accordingly.

How pissed off would you be if someone you know was raped because 10 others that were raped before kept their mouths shut to keep their jobs?

You are right though about proving he came out of his bathroom naked and making sexual advances though, but why do you suppose he wanted the ladies to come to his room, and why did they go? Serious questions with serious implications one way or the other. Either they knew he was a sleaze ball and still went or they have remarkably low IQs.

I have believed for a very long time that most stars get their roles by doing things others would morally object to. Once upon a time there may have existed a place where talent stood out, but I doubt it has been anywhere near Hollywood for at least half a century!

posted Hide Post
He supposedly would take fully staffed meetings. On cue, they would have another meeting to go to, leaving the victim. Then Harvey would pop out. 2pm on a Wednesday, after what seemed like an hour of good meetings, I'm sure it takes a moment to switch gears from business to "how do I get outta here?"

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post