SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vortex, Line X, or just keep the factory plastic insert??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex, Line X, or just keep the factory plastic insert?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I bought a Gator EFX (aluminum trifold bed cover) but before I install I need to decide what I am going to do for the bed.
It currently has the plastic molded factory Bedliner. The bed has zero rust dents or damage but there are some bare spots where the plastic bed liner has rubbed off the paint.
I took out the bedliner today and scrubbed the bed as it was just dusty underneath.
I coated the whole bed with Eezox before putting the plastic liner back in.
With the topper on the bed should see very little water.
I get two loads of mulch each spring shovel the mulch out and then wash out the bed after. That is pretty much the worst the bed will see.
Just trying to figure out if getting the spray liner is really necessary. My understanding is bed damage usually comes from things getting under the plastic liner and rubbing the paint then moisture causing rust.
In theory I should have neither of those.
Do I really need to spend the $450??
If so do I go with Line X or Vortex?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
LineX.

The plastic liner will still vibrate and rub on the paint. Dust will still migrate under it and compound the issue.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I would either pony up for the bedliner, or ditch the plastic insert and go with a bare bed. It doesn't sound like you're going to use it hard enough for it to really need extra protection.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sprayed my bed in 03, other than a little discoloration it looks new, never chipped cracked or came loose...

Plastic liners are crap, get it lined, Think mine was Rhino Liner... They can color match,

https://rhinolinings.com/

There are DIY products where you can roll the bed yourself and save some money.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you're not opposed to some DIY work, this stuff gets great reviews and is about a quarter the cost of LineX. Raptor Liner Tons of YouTube videos on its application and reviews of its performance.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've chosen LINE-X over RHINO on my trucks. LINE-X costs a little more but offered some options that RHINO didn't. Take the time to read the reviews on fading and abrasion resistance.

There is another option to consider. Vendors offer thick rubber mats which cover just the bed floor. They're relatively easy to remove to clean any accumulated debris which may induce corrosion. They offer good bed floor protection but nothing for the sides. They're inexpensive.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
1. Absolutely, positively, no question get rid of the plastic liner. They are The Debbil. Slick as a smelt and hard on the paint as noted.

2. An option I've used in my last three trucks and really like is a custom fitted rubber bed mat. Protects the floor and is non-skid and not horribly expensive.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If you're not opposed to some DIY work, this stuff gets great reviews and is about a quarter the cost of LineX. Raptor Liner Tons of YouTube videos on its application and reviews of its performance.

I just don’t have the time. Plus Vortex and Line X both have a lifetime warranty.
So if I do it I’ll have it professionally done.
Which I am leaning towards.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Line-x. My pickup came with a plastic liner. As others have said, slippery as heck. I'll add one more negative. I had it parked outside for about a week while I was working on a project in my garage. For some reason, a frog decided to work its was up a gap or drain hole and got stuck between the liner and the bed. Good GOD the stench was awful.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If it is an under rail plastic bedliner, as long as the metal is not rusting, keep it. If you ever notice surface rust, then maybe pay to get it coated with Line-X or the like. They're gonna scuff the paint heavily anyhow.

Mine is actually very thick. Not garbage can thin. I think it would take a massive hit to dent.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Bedrug. I have two, one in the Ford and one in my Tundra.

The Ford is always garaged but the Tundra sits in the weather 24/7. Still looks good other than some rust stains that I could remove if I cared to.

They claim mulch, dirt etc. Is no problem for it. Check it out.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The DIY products were tempting but the prep work is considerable to get good adhesion.

The LINE-X guys took almost two hours on my short bed trucks just with sanding and masking. The actual spraying was quick and dry time is almost instant. Some vendors use a 'cold spray' application which takes longer. LINE-X uses a hot spray application.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Sprayed on is definitely the way to go. I got a rhino. Been perfectly happy with it for 20+ years.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
My 2016 F150 had Line-x when I bought it last year.

It seems to be applied fairly thick and I have had no issues out of it so far.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had LineX in my F150, never an issue with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive got one truck with a rubber floor liner and one with line x.

For what you're looking for the rubber liner would be cheaper and just pull it out and wash it after you unload the mulch.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanna break your neck? Climb up into your truck bed on a plastic liner with snow on it.
Probably a Yooper problem, though.
Ditch the plastic and go with LineX. I have used the rubber liners with good success, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LineX

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LineX on my trucks. Hands down the best.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Line-X is the first thing I do to a new truck.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post