SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog grooming shears
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog grooming shears Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
Got a cheapo electric trimmer given to me. You get what you pay for. What do you guys like to groom your hounds? Not necessarily trying to see how much I can spend but I want a pair that will work and last.
Thanks, Kevin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You’ll need shears meant for animals. My beard trimmer stalls about every inch on our dog completely gave up on the idea.

Had some a century ago in 4-H, I believe mine were Wahl. Bought the beard trimmer based on those Wink. Tractor supply has trimmers.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Wahl Arco SE. Used it last week to shave my dog down, no nicks or cuts. Not as fast as sheep shears, but not as dangerous either.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with dog shears, but my uncle has llamas. Every year he pays someone to shear them. We were tired of paying, so he bought his own set of shears. Turned into a real shit show. Nicked the llamas a few times, causing bleeding. As he was shearing one of them, the llama jumped, and ht got one of the guys holding the llama. I had to take him to the hospital for a bunch of stitches.

There may be a difference between llama (sheep???) shears and what you'd use on a dog, I don't know. We gave up the DIY approach and went back to paying someone to do it. It wasn't as easy as it looked.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is in the biz, she uses these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...461b4b46cc85393c7a1d

Nice and quiet so the pet doesn't get twitchy, and pretty solid cutting performance. Kind of overkill for personal use, but you probably wouldn't be able to kill them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Oster with detachable blades,I am still using a set I used back in the sixties when I was doing barbering,
Blades on amazon for replacements.Avoid the pet smart crooks
Andis for trimming the paws
They are neither cheap but they damn sure last.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of Oster A5 and they are built to last. A bit heavy and noisy and the blades will get hot under heavy use. I had a poodle whose coat was like wire but these cut it where cheaper sets failed. I tried the $39 sets first but then found these on Ebay for under $100. I think they will last forever.

I notice the vets are all using cordless models and I'll bet a good set with a lithium battery would be just the ticket.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Called Mom (dog groomer). She said Andis that uses A5 blades. I don't know what any of that means, she said just Google it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had an Oster A5 Turbo for around 20 years and it’s still going strong. Horses, dogs, cats, it does a great job. I’ve had better luck with Oster blades than Andis or Wahl.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Andis that I use. Can't remember which blade I use, but it works great. I also bought the height gauges to go with it so I can trim different lengths.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I had kinda narrowed it to the Oster A5 and the Andis. Leaning toward the A5 at the moment. Looks like I can't go wrong with either.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I invested in a nice Andis that uses the A5 blades over 35 yrs ago & it still works great. Never used them on dogs,but horses. Not about to shave my Siberian Husky. Keeping the blades clean & sharp & reducing heat with lubricant is key.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Andis with the ceramic edge blades.

We have two cocker spaniels, and they get shaved down 3-4x per year.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post