SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Curb those negative waves, Man.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Curb those negative waves, Man. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Over time and more recently, there seems to be a trend I'll call "you will buy a glockitis."

This behavior is most prominently displayed in one particular thread, but it has crept into others. I'll leave you to guess which thread it has gone on in for years.

What I'm talking about, is the increasingly common occurrence of a member coming into a thread on a given topic to typically add a one sentence reply of "I don't like it, I don't care, I'm not going to do that," or similar terse statements and little more.

Guys, please take a moment, when you read the title and original post of a thread, as well as any responses to gauge the mood of that thread. There is an excellent chance that simply responding in the negative, is unnecessary. Not only unnecessary, but possibly coming across as sour grapes, mean spirited, or just Debbie Downer.

If you aren't interested in a topic, or simply don't like something, there is no need to post in that thread. Obviously, if the title of the thread is "What do you guys think of KelTec," then you can go in there and say you think they are trash. When you do that though, say why. A one sentence reply doesn't actually help the person who was asking for any opinions. The reason people do that is to learn of problems.

In the interest of letting people enjoy themselves, be a good neighbor and if you aren't interested in something or dislike it, move along. What you don't post is as important as what you do post. Unless the topic is "Who here hates Rap," it might be bad manners to go into a thread on that topic just to say you don't think it's music.

We all have enough human trash to wade through on any given day. Please think before you take a piss on someones thread. If it is any indication on how dumb it looks to go into a thread just to express a negative, there are hundreds of pages to read through of that very behavior.

Just like your Mom used to say, if you can't say something nice, not every party needs a pooper. Also keep in mind, that if you really don't like something, and you have posting rights, you can start a thread about it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That sort of thing gets pretty annoying.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Amen, man. Well said, and thank you for it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That has been one of my pet peeves for years.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I dunno, kinda like it when someone says "I ain't buy'n no Glock" so we can get the retorts,

Just like reading the comments left on a Fakebook post or Twatter Feed by some nitwit, those can be the most entertaining part of the story.

Be kinda boring if every post was just:

Here's a picture of a Glock I bought

Picture of Glock

Followed by "Nice Glock"

Since they all look the same Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well said.

When I started a thread about customizing Glocks, the first response I got was 'Lipstick on a pig'.

I have no reason to post 'Nothing" in the thread asking about what Niel Diamond means to me.

Some things are better left unsaid.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Agree 110%. Thanks.

I'll add two more party poopers:
  • the virtue signaler. For example, in a thread about a TV show there will invariably be the "I don't even own a TV" post. It contributes nothing, virtue signals that they are better than everyone who watches TV, and let's everyone know how bored they are without a TV.
  • the critic. They are always looking for something to criticize in a protection photo. Somebody is proud of something they cooked and delayed gratification of eating it to photograph w/ a firearm. However, a few people feel compelled to criticize it. It's rarely constructive criticism such as sharing how to adjust lighting for a better picture.
    quote:
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah people who reply like that are about as useful as saying +1...

Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HRK:
    I dunno, kinda like it when someone says "I ain't buy'n no Glock" so we can get the retorts,

Just like reading the comments left on a Fakebook post or Twatter Feed by some nitwit, those can be the most entertaining part of the story.

Be kinda boring if every post was just:

Here's a picture of a Glock I bought

Picture of Glock

Followed by "Nice Glock"

Since they all look the same Big Grin

What is boring, is the behavior I've already described. There is a time and a place to say you dislike something, and I did my best to describe when that is. If you believe I'm saying that negative opinions don't have a place, reread my post. Again, until it sinks in.

If you enjoy reading negative comments and reacting to them, that is an unwelcome product of "Social Media," and you can go there and enjoy the bile if you so choose.

quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Agree 110%. Thanks.

I'll add two more party poopers:
  • the virtue signaler. For example, in a thread about a TV show there will invariably be the "I don't even own a TV" post. It contributes nothing, virtue signals that they are better than everyone who watches TV, and let's everyone know how bored they are without a TV.
  • the critic. They are always looking for something to criticize in a protection photo. Somebody is proud of something they cooked and delayed gratification of eating it to photograph w/ a firearm. However, a few people feel compelled to criticize it. It's rarely constructive criticism such as sharing how to adjust lighting for a better picture.
    quote:
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

• There are some corollary behaviors, posting "who?".... some of these are just overwrought and tired jokes that should be abandoned.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
    Eating elephants
    one bite at a time
    Picture of ffips
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
    Well said.

When I started a thread about customizing Glocks, the first response I got was 'Lipstick on a pig'.

I have no reason to post 'Nothing" in the thread asking about what Niel Diamond means to me.

Some things are better left unsaid.

Come at me bruh! Smile You made me grin with this post, but I can't quite place why. All in good fun.

Arc, you bring up good poins in a time which has seen several attempts to make minor adjustments to improve the overall quality of the discussions. That there isn't a long laundry list of "thou shallt nots" is further testament to the quality of leadership (not just moderators) and the members of the forum.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Report This Post
    Mistake Not...
    Picture of Loswsmith
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edmond:
    Yeah people who reply like that are about as useful as saying +1...

I SOOO want to +1 this but will resist and argue for the +1. This is how I think of it:

Someone posts something to the SF world asking for feedback

Someone else says something pithy like "I like pie" or something equally enlightening BUT PERTAINING TO THE TOPIC

Rather than saying, "I too like pie" you just +1 it and add to the (in this example) pie loving world and giving feedback that those pie lovers are not alone in a quick and easy post.
    Much like the "like" button on Facebook.

And I will add my vote of enough for the members who post the: "I'm in for the karma!" in the threads of the member who just posted a picture of his/her new cool thing. I've sinned and will endeavor to behave in 2020 and going forward.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Report This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    A relevant example?

When someone with a legitimate Apple product question posts it.
    Virtually. Every. Time. It brings a response from the haters like...

I would never own a Craple product.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I agree with your overall premise. However, I think the Glock thread is a bad example. By titling it, “You will buy a Glock”, you’ve opened the door to every “you” to respond.

I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cparktd:
    A relevant example?

When someone with a legitimate Apple product question posts it.
    Virtually. Every. Time. It brings a response from the haters like...

I would never own a Craple product.

Like how when an NFL football thread starts and people jump in:

-I hate the NFL
    -I stopped watching the NFL and switched to college

A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    Although I appreciate some decent in threads I originate, I've always felt the OP somewhat owns the thread inasmuch as "let's keep it on topic and "if all you're here for is the be a contrarian, then move on and start your own thread".

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
    Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Herknav:
    I agree with your overall premise. However, I think the Glock thread is a bad example. By titling it, “You will buy a Glock”, you’ve opened the door to every “you” to respond.

Arc.

delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    Yep. I noted the negativism during a particular period of cultural discontent for most of us around ten years ago. I was part of it. IIRC we were asked to cool it. I remember it was difficult to not be negative. It’s a habit that should be broken. I can see value in a little of it, but moderation is more valuable.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    The Gospel according to Oddball. And so it is written and so shall it be!

Big Grin Big Grin

Signed,
    Moriarty

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
    Picture of 4859
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Herknav:

-----------------------------
    Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Report This Post
    Picture of Jimbo Jones
    posted Hide Post
    Indeed.

quote:
    Originally posted by erj_pilot:
    The Gospel according to Oddball. And so it is written and so shall it be!

Big Grin Big Grin

Signed,
    Moriarty

---------------------------------------
    It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Report This Post