SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Curb those negative waves, Man.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Curb those negative waves, Man. Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I'm not butt hurt. I expected your type of response.
Just tried to explain what I see happening best way I could. Guess I wasn't very good at it.
Lots of people have referred to this forum as family, as I do, but the times they are a-changing!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Just tried to explain what I see happening best way I could. Guess I wasn't very good at it.
Lots of people have referred to this forum as family, as I do, but the times they are a-changing!

"Open discussion" doesn't mean "be a shitbag, spraying asswater all over a thread for no reason besides +1." That's really what's being talked about here. If you don't have something interesting and constructive to post in a thread, why are you posting? There's lots of threads I don't comment on because I have nothing to add, plenty I don't even open because the title tells me I wont be interested.

If your only contribution to a thread is going to be "+1" or "who's that?" or shoehorning in some lameass political "joke" in a completely apolitical thread, maybe don't?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked Sig forum because it appeared as though all posts were treated like an open discussion. I guess those days are slipping away.
I made a comment a few days ago that was opposite of the OP ad I was (kind of) made as example of being a bad person. I did NOT call anybody names or infer that anybody was a a bad person or that that they were wrong, I just said I was not impressed with posted subject.

If posters are afraid of negative responses then maybe they should go to the nearest college safe place to make comments.

I posted in that thread, and yes, your post is an example of bandwidth wasted on "negative waves." You added nothing but a down note. Just stay out of things you aren't interested in or don't care about. It's very simple.

This isn't about "safe space" or snowflakes. It is about allowing members their recreation, and the general tenor of the board.

quote:

A functioning family will tell you when you're being a jerk, and if you want to be a member of a family, you're interested in its well being.

This isn't a family where we tolerate Uncle Rick getting drunk at Thanksgiving. Uncle Rick gets told he's aggravating the rest of the family and embarrassing us in front of guests.

This isn't some kind of censorship. It's a call for some courtesy and civility. Times ARE changing, this pawl of sour negativity was never so pervasive.

If all you have to say about a topic is some form of "I don't like that," then do is all a favor and move along. If you've read the entire thread and still can't figure out when negative comments are OK, ere on the side of caution.

Alternatively, shall we all start posting in every thread we don't like, or think is stupid, or "unimpressive?" What kind of an environment would that create?

Getting asked to stay out of threads that don't interest or entertain you is no real imposition. It's an easy thing for everyone to do, that everyone will appreciate.

There are lots of other websites and platforms where it is OK to swoop in with a negative comment and never look back. Facebook, Twitter, other websites I don't care about. If you want to do it, do it out there.

If you actually care about the fabric of SigForum, maybe hear me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post