SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Curb those negative waves, Man.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Curb those negative waves, Man. Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Airsoft, you understand that you just wished for a plague on yourself? You just made a negative non productive post in a thread, about not making negative non productive posts. Wishing pain suffering and death upon Everyone seems like an excessive punishment for a few Debbie downers in the butter thread.

It's not negative at all. After great pain comes great renewal. Art, culture, science, new snackfoods, all await our decedents, if we're willing to endure a little nuclear holocaust now.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Airsoft, you understand that you just wished for a plague on yourself? You just made a negative non productive post in a thread, about not making negative non productive posts. Wishing pain suffering and death upon Everyone seems like an excessive punishment for a few Debbie downers in the butter thread.

His post is fine.

In the OP, and at the top of the third page, I've made an effort to explain what this is about. This isn't "no negative posts." That would be ridiculous. There are threads where it should be obvious that rolling in there just to let everyone know you don't like something is "raining on the parade," and maybe be a decent human and leave people to their fun.

When, where and how to comment, are something folks need to work out for themselves. It's not at all "don't be negative.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
I'll reiterate that you should take the OP and the whole thread into account, and ask yourself "Am I helping?" and if you want to make a negative comment, elaborate. Say why. Wading into a negative thread to detail a positive experience is no different, you should judge the tenor of the thread along with the OP and perhaps conclude that your opinion won't add anything of value.

If you follow my logic, making a "negative post" in this thread is entirely appropriate. This thread isn't a light hearted romp about AC/DC baby noises, or butter, or a topic where you might be stepping into a thread of people enjoying some sunshine about something they enjoy. In a more serious fashion, perhaps it's inappropriate to go into a thread where people need positivity and support, with "VA has fallen."

No, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes folks deserve some respite from BS, and people should be able to gauge when a thread is a discussion, and when a thread is a group enjoying themselves over a common interest. Or any other time when just going into a thread with one line "I don't like it" is as I put it, unneighborly.

A couple nukes or a pandemic might adjust the perspective of some of you guys. People need not interject politics, or negativity, into every thread. Again, it's not just "no negative posts." You need to take a look at what is going on in a thread, not just read the title, and post "I think that sucks," and never go back in there. If you think a topic is stupid, or you aren't interested in that topic, or you really don't like it for some reason, maybe just maybe no one in that thread is interested in your opinion or would benefit from it.

If you spend more time focused on the positive rather than the negative, it can unclutter your mind. Just let things you don't like and aren't interested in roll on by.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
I agree with your overall premise. However, I think the Glock thread is a bad example. By titling it, “You will buy a Glock”, you’ve opened the door to every “you” to respond.

Right. The title itself invites polar responses but mandating supportive comments would cause an outbreak of social confirmation disease. There are however some prolific curmudgeon thread snipers around here but they're usually just one and done and are amusing in their own right.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
What I'm saying is that behavior from that thread has bled into others, where it is unacceptable. Not that it is unacceptable in that thread, or that there are no threads where negativity is acceptable.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
do you need to know that now I am confused Big Grin

or is that, pretty much a given ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

As am I
I liked to think of the forum as a virtual coffee shop where debate of ideas flourished thru stimulation

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

As am I
I liked to think of the forum as a virtual coffee shop where debate of ideas flourished thru stimulation

I think you missed the point a little bit.
A few posts above yours Arc says that this isn't meant to stifle discussion as much as a reminder to be polite.
If you were in a coffee shop and a group of people were talking about dogs you wouldn't interrupt them and say "dogs are stupid".
That would be rude and unnecessary.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm a little dismayed that this is in any way confusing.

How about this: Do your best to not be an asshole.

How about some examples of things I didn't post in their respective threads.

Rush sucks.

The entire NBA could disappear and it wouldn't matter.

Butter is butter.

Cats are gross.

The Bren Ten is the shoulderpads of firearms.

Gucci Glocks are for suckers.

Slide lightening cuts are folly.

Songs made from baby noises are a waste of time.

I have more opinions, but rather than be a party pooper, I see people enjoying themselves, or being serious, and judge that my opinion won't add anything, or might be disruptive.

You simply don't need to go into threads only to be Eeyore.

There are discussions when it is appropriate, but if people were just a little more conscientious, we'd all be better for it.

Arc.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In other words, don't be a threadshit. Don't pop into a thread simply to shit all over it, and then leave. Pretty simple.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Arc,
Roger on the asshole thing yet it seems if a challenge is made to provoke deeper thinking its easier to be labeled as an asshole and move along?
Thanks for clarification

Your way
or
YAHWEH

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not. It's not you either. Some folks just have an elementary school mentality. Like when the teacher says don't leave your seat for any reason and the students start asking, "What if there's a fire?"

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

It's not. It's not you either. Some folks just have an elementary school mentality. Like when the teacher says don't leave your seat for any reason and the students start asking, "What if there's a fire?"

Now wait a minute are you directing that at me or bendable?

Your way
or
YAHWEH

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
There is a huge difference between being a dick and disagreeing to evoke discussion.

Thread- "Tiddlywinks is awesome! I just saw the best played game ever on ESPN8 "The Ocho".

Constructive answer-

1-(hate tiddlywinks so no need to enter thread)
2- Interesting...never really understood the game. How is it played? Where did it come from?...etc.

Non Constructive Answer-

1-Hate that game.
2- Why is this game still around?
3- Fuck the Ocho
4- (Any Political Comment)

Pay attention to the thread title...there is plenty of space on this board for "What do you guys think about tiddlywinks" threads. The above example wasn't that. It was hypothetically posted as a thread the poster was excited about. See the difference?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arc,
Roger on the asshole thing yet it seems if a challenge is made to provoke deeper thinking its easier to be labeled as an asshole and move along?
Thanks for clarification

The primary thing that people should stop doing is one sentence or less drive-by BS posts, that are their only "contribution" to a thread, which they may not open again, because they don't like or aren't interested in the topic.

Did any of my examples strike a chord? Do you think posting that sort of thing in a thread will "provoke deeper thinking?"

Frankly, it's easy to tell when someone is not interested in provoking deeper thinking, or contributing, they are just in there to be Nattering Nabob. For people who want some hard and fast, concise rule, well, sometimes things don't work like that. This is why I've framed it as "being neighborly." If you shit on your neighbors, how long before the neighborhood is full of shit? If you want a shitty neighborhood, well, there is the entirety of the rest of the Internet to go shit up.

Or, hey, whatever. Why should I bother wasting my time trying to prop up a place that is any different from anywhere else on the web?

Some folks are so determined to be sour, negative dicks, and I end up reading lots of threads that I don't care to, I guess I should just hang it up and let the weeds grow around this place? Let the creeping negativity take over? Remember, Virginia is LOST!

Arc.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Arc,
Got it
Thanks for taking the time

Your way
or
YAHWEH

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Now wait a minute are you directing that at me or bendable?
Probably me.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I liked Sig forum because it appeared as though all posts were treated like an open discussion. I guess those days are slipping away.
I made a comment a few days ago that was opposite of the OP ad I was (kind of) made as example of being a bad person. I did NOT call anybody names or infer that anybody was a a bad person or that that they were wrong, I just said I was not impressed with posted subject.

If posters are afraid of negative responses then maybe they should go to the nearest college safe place to make comments.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I liked Sig forum because it appeared as though all posts were treated like an open discussion. I guess those days are slipping away.
I made a comment a few days ago that was opposite of the OP ad I was (kind of) made as example of being a bad person. I did NOT call anybody names or infer that anybody was a a bad person or that that they were wrong, I just said I was not impressed with posted subject.
Three problems:
1. You’re making a domino (aka slippery slope) fallacy argument. Arc posted in plain English and his desire is clearly to not end open discussion but instead promote quality discussion
2. You took it personally and are butt hurt
3. You’re not taking your own advice
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
If posters are afraid of negative responses then maybe they should go to the nearest college safe place to make comments.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, this thread is oozing with negative vibes. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post