SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Curb those negative waves, Man.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Curb those negative waves, Man. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I've often wondered about this.

If someone says, for example, "I hate Amazon, they are never on time" and you have never had a problem with Amazon, are we now suggesting that you should stay out of that thread? I took a look at the various Amazon threads similar to what I said and half of the responses were from people that have had no problems. Same is true for vehicles or tools or whatever.

Someone mentioned Neil Diamond. I have never liked Neil Diamond but when I read through the thread it was obviously a place for his fans to gather so I moved on and said nothing. That is just common sense to me.

But if you have had a bad experience with something and someone is posting that they love that thing and are about to buy it, do we just stay away? Sometimes good things can come from a post that might be considered negative.

I know I am probably not doing a good job of explaining this so let me give another example. A year ago I was in the market for a new, smaller truck. I had narrowed my list down to three trucks. Fortunately, someone started a thread about a new truck he had purchased and was obviously very excited. Most of the posts were congrats on the truck but there was a post from a guy that had that truck and he went on to point out the things he was unhappy about.

Well, that truck was on my short list but I was interested in the things that guy was talking about. I actually went back to the dealer and took a harder look and saw the things that he had mentioned. I crossed that truck off my list. His post was not rude or tacky, just informative...at least to me.

I'm done. Sorry for all the rambling.

I mentioned this in my OP.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
If you aren't interested in a topic, or simply don't like something, there is no need to post in that thread. Obviously, if the title of the thread is "What do you guys think of KelTec," then you can go in there and say you think they are trash. When you do that though, say why. A one sentence reply doesn't actually help the person who was asking for any opinions. The reason people do that is to learn of problems.

I'll reiterate that you should take the OP and the whole thread into account, and ask yourself "Am I helping?" and if you want to make a negative comment, elaborate. Say why. Wading into a negative thread to detail a positive experience is no different, you should judge the tenor of the thread along with the OP and perhaps conclude that your opinion won't add anything of value.

What I'm after is folks making a broad effort to be neighborly, but the primary problem is this type of thing:

quote:
What I'm talking about, is the increasingly common occurrence of a member coming into a thread on a given topic to typically add a one sentence reply of "I don't like it, I don't care, I'm not going to do that," or similar terse statements and little more.

The OP of a given thread, is a "mini-moderator" for that thread, hopefully they have a well thought goal of what they're looking to discuss or learn. If you're rolling into a thread just to post "Neil Diamond Sucks!" or somesuch, well, you're a dick. Why do that? It makes you look an ass, helps nobody, and interrupts a discussion you claim to have no interest in. The "you" in this, is just the noun, not you, you.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would have liked for this thread to have had more effect in limiting the type of posts it referenced, but lacking that, I’ll bump it up and with a little more exposure, who knows?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I would have liked for this thread to have had more effect in limiting the type of posts it referenced, but lacking that, I’ll bump it up and with a little more exposure, who knows?

I agree. Maybe in the spirit of it being a New Year and being a new fresh chance at being a better person, this thread will reach some folks who need to read it, and it will have an impact. I hope. Or I guess this here Francis should just lighten up, as suggested to me yesterday. Smile

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Feel free to link to it whenever you feel appropriate. I was as articulate as I could muster about this.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and I will. And yes, it was articulately stated.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If someone you don't care about, dies in a helicopter crash... You don't need to tell anyone that you don't care.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
I understand the desire to curb pointless, and nonconstructive negativity, but I feel that not all negativity is pointless. In the case of a helecopter crash, posting “Mr XYZ sucks and I don’t care he’s dead” might be negative and non constructive, but posting “Loss of life is regrettable, but why are the lives lost in a helecopter crash more notable than those lost to cancer, auto accidents, heart disease, or stupidity?” Still seems negative but also constructive in my mind. Are both of these replies to be avoided?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
If someone you don't care about, dies in a helicopter crash... You don't need to tell anyone that you don't care.

Eggsactly!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you aren't impressed or don't care about AC/DC made from baby sounds, why waste time telling anyone this?

It is absolutely important that the forum knows who isn't interested in what type of fun? No. It is not.

Arc.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Who knew Neil was so polarizing? Big Grin

I have seen many comments in many places lately where it seems the person posting simply wants to play the contrarian. It is tiring. Unfortunately it seems there is a new rush to make sure everyone shares their opposing view and refuses to listen to anything outside of their point(s) of view. It's likely a side effect of social media and is unfortunate. The only solve I have come up with is to simply scroll faster when the negativity intrudes.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of negative posts have more to do with boosting post count. As if post count adds to one's credibility somehow.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Still seems negative but also constructive in my mind.

My reaction: I believe the negative part is what’s significant about your observation. If someone is saddened by an event, comparing it to another isn’t constructive, no matter how valid the comment may be. We humans benefit by expressing our feelings, especially sadness and sorrow, but what benefit is there to anyone by belittling those expressions—unless the belittler somehow gets perverse pleasure or satisfaction by making others lose the benefits they get?

I was saddened far more by the news of the Air Force aircraft crash today than I ever would be by the death of an athlete whose name I hardly recognized, but that’s only because of how I identified with the people involved in each. I can express my feelings about the one in solidarity with other members of our armed forces, but what scintilla of good does it do me to say anything whatsoever about the other? (Added: And as an Army general evidently learned very recently with his negative—and unnecessary—tweet that compared one tragedy with another.)

That’s not to say there aren’t exceptions. When an evil person dies or gets some sort of comeuppance and someone posts a platitude about “Don’t speak ill of the dead,” a “Get serious! I’m glad he’s dead” response is perfectly understandable. But other than those (obvious) exceptions, and unless an opinion is solicited, I truly do not understand giving into the urge to volunteer such comments, especially when the nabobs of negativity are also the most likely to let us all know how unimportant they believe the subject is.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
I concur.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
I understand thLoss of life is regrettable, but why are the lives lost in a helecopter crash more notable than those lost to cancer, auto accidents, heart disease, or stupidity?” Still seems negative but also constructive in my mind. Are both of these replies to be avoided?

The loss of life through any non planned event is tragic. If KB were to have died from a rare disease or Cancer, the news would be the same , just a different topic or subject to keep the cycle full for as long as is needed.
He was royalty to sports fans as a performer.

All of us have feet of clay in some way.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Guys, the Kobe thread was locked....

Arc.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You know what we need? A good plague, or a war, maybe another Great Depression. That way, people might see how good they got it, and wont have to wander into threads they allegedly don't give a fuck about, and shit all over everyone else's good time. Maybe a little pain and suffering, like watching your kids go hungry, will humble folks, so they don't feel compelled to be assholes at every opportunity.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
You know what we need? A good plague, or a war, maybe another Great Depression.

I actually have a collection of quotations by various SIGforum members, and ASG is one of them. I have said the same thing more than once, and will probably add this one to the lot.

I keep hoping that sooner or later the medical threats will win and rather than, “You people are panicking over nothing,” it will become, “Oh, shit; Oh, Shit; OH, SHIT!!!”
A little fever, then coughing, then, “I’m having trouble breathing,” then ….
Much better for all of us, especially those who don’t survive, but good for everyone.

Negative? No: as positive and as hopefully optimistic as I can get.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Airsoft, you understand that you just wished for a plague on yourself? You just made a negative non productive post in a thread, about not making negative non productive posts. Wishing pain suffering and death upon Everyone seems like an excessive punishment for a few Debbie downers in the butter thread.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's an annual occurence- all the men get their period aound the end of January, beginning of February. The holidays are over and you're back to work, and although you have hopes and dreams for a bright new year, you realize that a lot of life is just drudgery, and you get pissy and you have cramps and you take it out on others.

So, just stop acting special and realize that we're all in the same boat and we're gonna die some day, so, snap the fuck out of it.

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post