SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone have tennis elbow?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have tennis elbow? Login/Join 
posted
I have been fighting tennis elbow for several months now and I can't find a good way to get over it. I don't play tennis. It first started flaring up when I was shooting a little more often at the local range (pistol shooting and probably using bad form- like not locking my elbow). I have tried resting it, using a sleeve that supports the forearm, and anti-inflammation products. It gets a little better but everything I do from working out at the gym to shooting seems to bring it right back.
Does anyone here have this problem and what do you do?

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.roadto45tennis.com/...-in-5-minutes-a-day/

I used to suffer with it and went to the doctor and got cortisone shots, but it would always return. I bought three of the flex bars and worked my way through them twice a day for about 3 months.Pain disappeared. Whenever I felt it returning I would start the therapy again. 6 years now and it has not returned. Worked for my step father also.

http://www.theraband.com/thera...-resistance-bar.html

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes and I don't play tennis

hurts like hell

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Recovering from any kind of tendonitis is a slow process. I had it bad in my right elbow and it too km about four months of just not using those tendons to clear it up. I wore an adjustable band no matter what I was doing, and did as many things left handed as possible. I even started shooting bullseye pistol left handed. Eventually you will heal, but you have to give it time.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Got for the first time about a year ago, probably from doing a lot more dryfire/presentation practice. I was shocked at how much it hurt. I called it shooters elbow. Takes forever to get better and mine flares back up pretty easily.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Beats ping-pong balls.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Epicondylitis is a bitch. The hardest part is lots of rest. A brace can help, anti-inflammatories can help, massage (by someone who knows what they are doing) can help, but the big winner is REST. It seems to take FOREVER, especially when you don’t totally rest it because “you have to get stuff done” or “it seems to be better.” Please don’t ask me how I know. Frown

One does learn those, that when the elbow seems just a little annoyed, one does NOT “just work through it” as prevention is the best cure.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Beats ping-pong balls.

NOW, I need to clean my computer key board...

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've had Dillon elbow.

That video got me aroused, was it supposed to? Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wear one of these religiously for 30-60 days welcome old age. lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Beats ping-pong balls.

There is always a silver lining!

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got it from guitar playing. Rest, and not continuing to aggravate those tendons was what helped for me. It is a slowish process.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I have one and wear it when shooting. I haven't been wearing it otherwise. I will try it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

I used to suffer with it and went to the doctor and got cortisone shots, but it would always return. I bought three of the flex bars and worked my way through them twice a day for about 3 months.Pain disappeared. Whenever I felt it returning I would start the therapy again. 6 years now and it has not returned. Worked for my step father also.

Thanks! I am going to give this a try.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
At one time I had it so bad in my right arm I couldn't grip a glass to take a drink. I wound up with it in both elbows but the left hasn't flared up in a long time, the right still flares up too often.
Thanks for the link on the flexbar, I'll give that a try. It looks like it involves wrist curls which is one of the therapy exercises I was given but it's a lot more convenient way to do them.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRJACKET:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Thanks! I am going to give this a try.

I also had success with this. It's worth a try as the cost is not that much. I just have the red one. You can vary the amount of resistance it provides by how you grip it. Mine worked well enough I've not had a problem for quite a while now. Had kind of forgotten about it.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I’ve had golf ball before and that hurt. Big Grin

Seriously though, although I don’t have it presently, I’ve had tennis elbow before.

The forearm brace in conjunction with some corticosteroid helped quickest. Once it had healed, some targeted exercise like what was posted above, has seemed to stave off further bouts with it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I bought one of those from CVS, but found it uncomfortable. I bought this from Amazon and it's much more comfortable.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I ended up going to PT three times a week for a few months. Dry needle therapy.

Multiple exercises including that twist bar shown in the video. You will only be able to do that one way and NOT the other arm.

It's a long-term recovery.

I wore one of those bands for a bit, but my PT guy said not to bother. YMMV.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had golfers elbow quite a few years ago. Golfers elbow is the inside, tennis elbow is the outside of your forearm/elbow. I had to go to physical therapy twice a week for a month with stretching every day at home. It went away but it sucked.

On a side note for those that have golfers elbow. One stretch that really works, hurts like hell but works. Hold your arm straight out to the side of your body. Point your hand out with your fingers pointing towards the sky and turn your head the opposite way.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post