SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    killing people and pretty much getting away with it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

killing people and pretty much getting away with it Login/Join 
posted
http://www.thegazette.com/ceda...ser-offense-20180427

just make it look like an accident , and skip away.

She needs 5 years minimum
+
5 years of weekends in jail
+
600 hours of community service
+
7 years w/o a license
+
$9,000.00 fine

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting local color. I have seldom seen a rather large oval picture of the author of an article. Perhaps if that were more common the writing would improve.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed, I once charged a woman for misdemeanor death by motor vehicle. She went left of center and hit another car head on.....

Other car driver died at the scene...
Driver one plead and got a year of probation. I found she had been eating a bowl of cereal at the time...all at over 65mph in a 55 zone....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Maybe a civil suit will be a little more punishing.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't work if the defendant doesn't have money, and I'll bet she doesn't have much.

I consider what she did to be premeditated, deserving the death penalty.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a woman back over her old man in the driveway of their home. Then, supposedly in a panic, threw it in drive and ran over him again.
Killed him. I suspected murder. No one agreed. No charges filed.
Some years later, a woman smashed her old man against the garage wall when she supposedly hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. Dude survived but was never the same. I suspected aggravated assault. No one agreed. No charges.
If you shoot someone, Detectives and crime scene techs will be all over your ass.
Traffic crash? Fatal even? Drunk? A couple of beat cops and a Technical or Advanced crash investigator. Lots of difference in the investigations but the end result is the same. Death or serious injury.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Maybe a civil suit will be a little more punishing.

And if they have nothing.
You get nothing.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...edar-rapids-20180427

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
As my daughter was the victim of a drunk driver many years ago, we lived first hand the insanity of how the legal system deals with drunk drivers.

They do not!

Our daughter spent 3 1/2 weeks in ICU, several corrective operations, and now needs both hips replaced due to the damage of that accident.

What did the drunk driver (4th case) get?

NOT A DAMNED THING. He was a big rig driver, had 3 previous counts of drunk driving accidents.

The so-called judge let him off on the basis that he needed his license to earn his living.

We in this family have absolutely no sympathy for people who cause accidents through distracted or drunken driving.

When we suggested that the LEO should stake out local watering holes and do the breathalyzer tests on people who come out and drive away, OUR ATTORNEY said that would be unfair to the people who just wanted a couple drinks after a day of work!

We changed attorneys. The judge in the case was arrested a couple weeks later on drunken driving.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The attitude of lax punishment for irresponsible drivers is pervasive throughout our legal system, especially when they kill vulnerable roads users like motorcyclists and bicyclists. I can't explain why.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
So I guess the value of a life is now only 2 years. Maybe if some of the distracted drivers get the penalty they deserve, more people would pay more attention to driving. Not likely unfortunately. I consider 2 years to be little consequence for her actions.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My beautiful wife was in a collision with a drunk about 30 years ago now and still suffers effects from it. Lawyers and judicial system close to useless back then and not much better now sadly

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Much of this is due to lazy Prosecutors as well as cases being handled by inexperienced Deputy County Attorneys/Prosecutors. They are intimidated by the Defense, so plead cases down.

Drunks with multiple previous DUI's, who are involved in accident with injuries to others, should be dealt with immediately at the scene. I'll even provide the ammo.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was foreman of a jury in a DUI trial last September, we found the defendant guilty. In the post-trial talk with the judge, I asked if the defendant would get any meaningful punishment, and was told that it depended on how recent his previous conviction had been. We had guessed that this was not his first offense based on his demeanor, but in retrospect, I think the judge was avoiding a direct answer, knowing full-well that the punishment would not fit the crime.

Since then I've tried to check for his sentence, but haven't found anything.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
All of this sounds like a great argument for "self driving" cars. The pedestrian death in AZ bugs me because the news makes a big deal out of it. Meanwhile, how many pedestrian deaths occurred in that city by driver driving cars...?

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post