SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the cheapest way to join the gated community???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the cheapest way to join the gated community??? Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Have someone CNC you a nice stainless steel gated shifter plate for your existing manual car?
Otherwise, it's gonna cost you five figures.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Buy whatever MT muscle car you can afford and put a Hurst Straight-Line shifter in it.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
what's a gated shifter? honestly never heard of that and I'm 60 years old.

They force precise shifting even during aggressive working of the shift lever. Tend to be found on high-performance cars like Ferraris.

Yes, but at the same time, Ferrari hasn't made a manual transmission on a production car in I don't know how long now. 20 years?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

They force precise shifting even during aggressive working of the shift lever. Tend to be found on high-performance cars like Ferraris.

Yes, but at the same time, Ferrari hasn't made a manual transmission on a production car in I don't know how long now. 20 years?

Not fully up on all the models but pretty sure the 599 was the last available with a manual. It was produced until 2012.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I used to be in the manual only camp, but the newer autos are easier and faster to drive. I've finally allowed myself to move on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I used to be in the manual only camp, but the newer autos are easier and faster to drive. I've finally allowed myself to move on.

My buddy’s Porsche is one of those fancy dual clutch super fast automatic things. Not sure that is the actual name for them.
I gladly borrow it on occasion but if I owned not what I would choose.
There is just something about rowing those gears.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For a classic that's not fast sure, anything going forward auto. Ten years from now I might be saying the same for elec vs dino powered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

My buddy’s Porsche is one of those fancy dual clutch super fast automatic things. Not sure that is the actual name for them.
I gladly borrow it on occasion but if I owned not what I would choose.
There is just something about rowing those gears.

PDK, or, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Charger has a manual mode with paddle shifters. The gated shifter is cool, but I am happy with the Charger setup.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
15 best gated shifters list, it's Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Audi A8..... did I mention Ferrari?

Interesting tidbit, Gated shifters were used back in the day because the trans linkages were not very precise, so they were used to keep the driver in line with shifting.

Link

Could go super cool and get a volvo V70 R Wagon with the SpaceBall

or, buy any manual shifted vehicle you like, then, make your own gate..

How to make your shifter Gated Linky thing

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"What is the cheapest way to join the gated community???" That right there shows that you should not belong, as you asked a bunch of gun nuts. And used the word "cheap..."

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from experience that buying the Ferrari is the cheap part Big Grin

Keeping it running is how shall we say, a ride on a rollercoaster.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hadn't either, and I'm 82 years old. (I see a later post cleared it up, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
15 best gated shifters list, it's Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Ferrari, Ferrari, Lambo, Audi A8..... did I mention Ferrari?

Interesting tidbit, Gated shifters were used back in the day because the trans linkages were not very precise, so they were used to keep the driver in line with shifting.

Link

Could go super cool and get a volvo V70 R Wagon with the SpaceBall

or, buy any manual shifted vehicle you like, then, make your own gate..

How to make your shifter Gated Linky thing

I actually have dibs on a very sweet and mildly modded V70R.
A buddy has one says he will never get rid of it I said I am to be his first call if he does. Though as my luck generally goes when he decides to get rid of it I won't have the cash.

My Mustang is a manual but don't really think a gated shifter is quite right for that application.

————————————————

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

Never said "new" Ferrari. Paddle shifters are all the rage now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I said I lived in a gated community when I lived on an Air Force base.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
May have figured out how to do it.
Go in on this with a couple buddies. Get the car for 4 months out of the year and split maintenance 3 ways!
https://bringatrailer.com/list..._ruG6MrzLCDlmXRMn_8Y

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Scroll a bit farther, pick up an 83 Magnum PI, gated and ready to run the Hay why ya roads..

Half the price of that F355, of which I saw three of those at the local Starbutts this weekend, that means there are too many self indulgent wieners with too much bloody money!!
Now, if you were driving an 83 308 GTS..... you would not be a self indulgent wiener, you'd be a connoisseur, Champaign would fall from the heavens...

All ya need is a baseball cap and a mooostache!

https://bringatrailer.com/list...s-quattrovalvole-13/

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly, paddle shifters on a fancy-ass sports car are actually a manual transmission hybrid kinda thingy. Something about dual-clutch, hydraulics, etc. Not to be confused with an automatic transmission with 1st, 2nd, etc. paddles on the steering column. My wife's RAV 4 has gated shifting...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
If I understand correctly, paddle shifters on a fancy-ass sports car are actually a manual transmission hybrid kinda thingy. Something about dual-clutch, hydraulics, etc. Not to be confused with an automatic transmission with 1st, 2nd, etc. paddles on the steering column. My wife's RAV 4 has gated shifting...

While your wife’s RAV4 may be a manual transmission they do not have gated shifters.
The vast majority of manual transmissions are not gated.
A gated shifter uses a plate limiting where the shifter can go.

————————————————