SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best keychain flashlight (preferably usb rechargeable)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best keychain flashlight (preferably usb rechargeable) Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I am looking to get my wife a keychain flashlight.
She has thus far had a
Surefire Lumamax LX2 (too big)
Streamlight PT2L (too big)

I looked at the Surefire sidekick. Reviews say it’s battery sucks and fails.

I looked at the Surefire Titan Plus. It appears that the charger is sold separately. I can live with this, but USB would be nice.

I have looked at Fenix. All their lights are larger diameter .80”.

Needs to be at least 200 lumens

What does the Sigforum collective brain recommend?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Look at the Streamlight Microstream USB. Not specifically set up to hang off a keychain but AAA small and killer out put to size, with a replaceable battery. Also a solid tailcap button not sensitive to activation in a pocket/purse. Inexpensive also.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've bought flashlights for myself and relatives for years and they always end up in glove boxes, tool boxes, and backpacks instead of on the body. That all changed when I found the Streamlight 73200 KeyMate USB. I always have it with me, and the bigger surprise is that 100% of the people I've given it as a gift have it on their keychain.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned, it needs to be at least 200 lumens.
The Streamlight micro is about the same size as the PT2L.

Todd, the key light would be perfect if it was brighter.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have found the key mate to unscrew and dump batteries in a pocket just as a point of info.

Surefire Titan and Titan plus are pretty solid as well. AWESOME beam profiles and run great on rechargeable eneloops, my only dislike is the twisty operation.

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Errrrr scratch what I said about the Keymate. I was thinking of something else. Excuse my dumbassery it acts up when the weather cools. Frown

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Don’t know its lumen rating, but the Flashlight on my iPhone X has been my flashlight of choice since I bought it. It’s ALWAYS with me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I personally believe using a phone for light is folly. In an emergency you may need light AND communications and there is no need to limit/draw down the battery on both needlessly.

No disrespect meant. I use my phone from time to time as well but I really believe a separate source of light as well as a decent blade, basic tools (SAK)and a way to make fire are far more important to have then a firearm 99% of the time.

Now I am just an idjit on the interwebz so don’t ever take what I say as gospel. It’s just my personal belief.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Look at Nightcore lights. They have a large selection of USB rechargeable lights.

I bought the TIP 2017 and use it all the time. My wife liked so we'll she asked that I buy one for her in black so she can use it somewhere in the world where she's on TDY.

Good lights.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Okay, so a little info in the situation.
She has access to any of my lights. They are too big.
She has an iPhone. Doesn’t want to drop it.
I need something that’s about 1/2” diameter and 3” long or less.
If it can attach to a key holder with a split ring that would be fantastic.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Mecarmy SGN1
Mecarmy SGN3
RovyVon A3
NiteCore TIP

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Check out the Nitecore's offerings.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/...ashlights-s/1844.htm

I got a Nitecore Tip based off another SF member's recommendation a couple years ago. It may be the best flashlight I've ever bought. Not the brightest, but it's an impressive combination of output, small size, low weight, durability, and cost-effectiveness. For something that weighs about as much and is smaller than a Bic lighter, 360 lumens is pretty good.

If you want about the same output in an even smaller size, consider the Tini. The tradeoff is smaller battery size.

I think what your wife would really like is the Tip 2. Same size as the Tip but can put out 200 lumens sustained or 720 lumen bursts in Turbo mode. Also costs 50% more than the Tip.

If you join Nitecore Store's mailing list, you'll get specials and promo codes sent to you, and you can expect a lot come Black Friday/X-mas time.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Check out the Nitecore's offerings.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/...ashlights-s/1844.htm

I got a Nitecore Tip based off another SF member's recommendation a couple years ago. It may be the best flashlight I've ever bought. Not the brightest, but it's an impressive combination of output, small size, low weight, durability, and cost-effectiveness. For something that weighs about as much and is smaller than a Bic lighter, 360 lumens is pretty good.

If you want about the same output in an even smaller size, consider the Tini. The tradeoff is smaller battery size.

I think what your wife would really like is the Tip 2. Same size as the Tip but can put out 200 lumens sustained or 720 lumen bursts in Turbo mode. Also costs 50% more than the Tip.

If you join Nitecore Store's mailing list, you'll get specials and promo codes sent to you, and you can expect a lot come Black Friday/X-mas time.

+87

They have really remarkable USB keychain lights.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Not really a keychain light but very small and very bright (floody) and USB rechargeable and one of my most used lights is the Klarus Mi1C

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t consider it a keychain, but the Olight S1RII Baton is really bright and recharges with a magnetic tailcap to usb.

You could stick it on a keychain. Maybe.

I have the I1R EOS on my keychain. It only does 130lumens but is really small. You unscrew the head to charge it via microusb.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I use the Fenix E16ti at 700 Lumens. 2 x .77 inches, good light Fenix E Series

If too big, the little lights from MassDrop work but are not rechargeable and peaks at 110 lumens.. MassDrop. I do not own this one but 200 lumens in one configuration and small MassDrop option 2

The Fenix is a great small but fat light, rechargeable

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I use the Fenix E16ti at 700 Lumens. 2 x .77 inches, good light Fenix E Series

If too big, the little lights from MassDrop work but are not rechargeable and peaks at 110 lumens.. MassDrop. I do not own this one but 200 lumens in one configuration and small MassDrop option 2

The Fenix is a great small but fat light, rechargeable

Ohhhhh, it's rainbow titanium to match my SIG Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Nitecor...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/NITECOR...BMHE8KHV5EKZVCKKWTFB
I've carried both, love the TIP2.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I have the I1R EOS on my keychain. It only does 130 lumens but is really small. You unscrew the head to charge it via microusb.

I have one and was going to suggest as well. I looked on OLight's website, the new version I1R 2 EOS available on the 28th says 150 lumens. I think that's pretty bright for such a tiny flashlight.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post