SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your response when someone says 'Thank you for your service'?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your response when someone says 'Thank you for your service'? Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I mostly shop at Lowe's, it's close to the house, the staff is great and plus I get the 10% discount for military, obviously that is huge plus.

I have a 'My Lowes' tag on my key chain, when it is scanned the register screen pops up a note the cashier to thank the customer for his/her service.

So, what is the best or most popular response when someone says, "Thank you for your service"? Most of the time I simply say Thank you, or I appreciate you acknowledging that.

What should I say?

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
I simply say. Thank you. It was my pleasure. I'd do it again if I could.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My son loves to say thank you to any vet that he sees. Sometimes I wonder if they would rather be left alone but he enjoys it and had been raised that those in service are heroes so he looks up to them

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I always say, "Semper Fi". Most get a cool smile on their face when I address them as I would a fellow Marine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I simply say thanks.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have asked the same question, I am pretty shy and certainly did not do anything special.......people who genuinely say it quite different from the programmed version

I normally say " my pleasure" or "thank you, that was a long time ago"

To me it's the same with getting a vet discount....I am nothing special....I don't feel I deserve a discount .....those who paid a real price do.

If they ask I will say yes, but I will not ask for a discount.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I always say, "Semper Fi". Most get a cool smile on their face when I address them as I would a fellow Marine.

that's cool Cool

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I simply say thank you and I wish I could have done more.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I say, " Can you believe they let me blow shit up AND I got paid!!?"

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I simply say thanks.

Same here. That said I've stopped wearing my retired Navy hat as it almost feels like I'm soliciting such when wearing it now that thanking vets has become de rigueur.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My bro is still in the Marines and says “thank you for your support.”

It’s a running joke we have, no matter what we do, we always say thank you for your service.

Ex:

Him: Here’s a napkin.
Me: Thank you for your service.
Him: Thank you for your support.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I simply say thanks.

Same here. That said I've stopped wearing my retired Navy hat as it almost feels like I'm soliciting such when wearing it now that thanking vets has become de rigueur.

One of my vehicles has a USMC plate but only because it is free. I did not get that plate on the other two. Other than that the only way anyone would know is if they asked me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I always simply said "thank you." But thinking about it now, perhaps "you're welcome" is more appropriate. Then again, the appreciation does goes both ways.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always say, "Thanks, I'm happy to do it."

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I thank military and law enforcement personnel regularly. The best response I ever got was, "Thank you, it has been the greatest honor of my life". I instantly began to tear up. He said it so humbly and powerfully.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I am not comfortable with it and usually just nod my head in response.

When people first started doing this, my thoughts were "It's about 50 years too late." If they were my age, my thoughts were: "And what were you saying fifty years ago?"

I enlisted, not drafted, and wonder how the guys with "US" before their service number feel.

I think that if you want to approach someone who is wearing a service ball cap, this is fine, but the only time it comes up for me is when I get the discount, or calls from Tri-West or the VA.

I am more comfortable without this public awareness politeness, because that is not why I served and just seems trite.

OK, blast away, because I realize that sometimes an honest response is not that popular.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It embarasses me because it reminds me of all the guys, who were getting shot and I wasn't.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m near North Chicago right now, and it’s not unusual to see a bunch of kids waiting for a car back to base. I enjoy saying thanks for your service because they’re not used to hearing it yet. I didn’t serve, but my best friend in high school served on a fast attack sub. I have a lot of respect for the commitment they’ve made.

THREAD DRIFT

I also like offer a police officer a safe shift if it looks like I’m not interrupting anything. With all the shitty interactions I see on body cams these days, a positive exchange doesn’t seem like too much to ask.

Not that I’m above blowing a little smoke. I just talked my way out of a ticket in a “one cop” town of 800. He had me dead to rights and cut me a break. One thing I’ve learned is a little courtesy goes a long way.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say "You're Welcome."

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post