SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sessions directs prosecutors to 'evaluate certain issues' involving Uranium One and Clinton, leaves door open on special counsel
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sessions directs prosecutors to 'evaluate certain issues' involving Uranium One and Clinton, leaves door open on special counsel Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...special-counsel.html

Attorney General Jeff Sessions directed senior federal prosecutors to evaluate “certain issues” requested by congressional Republicans, involving the sale of Uranium One and alleged unlawful dealings related to the Clinton Foundation, leaving the door open for an appointment of another special counsel.

In a letter first obtained by Fox News, the Justice Department responded to July 27 and September 26 requests from House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., and other committee members, who called for the appointment of a special counsel to investigate the matters in question.

The letter comes on the eve of Sessions’ testimony before the same committee, scheduled for Tuesday.

“The Attorney General has directed senior federal prosecutors to evaluate certain issues raised in your letters,” Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote.

“These senior prosecutors will report directly to the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General [Rod Rosenstein], as appropriate, and will make recommendations as to whether any matters not currently under investigation should be opened, whether any matters currently under investigation require further resources, or whether any matters merit the appointment of a Special Counsel,” Boyd wrote.

The Justice Department does not ordinarily confirm or deny investigations, and Boyd wrote that “this letter should not be construed to do so.”

The Justice Department’s letter specifically said that some of the topics requested by Goodlatte and other committee members were already being investigated by the department’s Inspector General’s office.

The letter specifically mentioned allegations related to the FBI’s handling of the Clinton email probe, including allegations that DOJ and FBI “policies or procedures” were “not followed in connection with, or in actions leading up to or related to” then-FBI Director James Comey’s public announcement to close the Clinton email “matter” on July 5, 2016, or the letter he sent lawmakers on October 28, 2016, about newly discovered Clinton emails, and that those “investigative decisions were based on improper considerations.”

“The Department has forwarded a copy of your letters to the IG so he can determine whether he should expand the scope of his investigation based on the information contained in those letters,” Boyd wrote. “Once the IG’s review is complete, the Department will assess what, if any, additional steps are necessary to address any issues identified by that review.”

While the Justice Department did not confirm or deny an ongoing investigation into Clinton matters, administration officials pointed Fox News to the attorney general’s testimony at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in January, raising questions over whether he would recuse himself from this investigation.

“With regard to Secretary Clinton and some of the comments I made, I do believe that that could place my objectivity in question,” Sessions said in response to committee Chairman Chuck Grassley’s, R-Iowa, asking whether he could approach a Clinton investigation “impartially.” Sessions added at the time, “I believe the proper thing for me to do would be to recuse myself from any questions involving those kind of investigations that involve Secretary Clinton and that were raised during the campaign or to be otherwise connected to it.”

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller was appointed in May as a special counsel to investigate accusations of collusion between Russia and officials close to President Trump.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Why the need for a Special Counsel?

Why doesn't he and the department that he heads just do their job and investigate and/or prosecute it?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Certain issues my aching ass. Get all up in that gal's finances and an army of conservative candidate donating attorneys - just like they're doing to Trump.

I want scorched earth. If everything Trump has ever done or said or taken part of is on the table, the same should be true of Bill's wife. Good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Why doesn't he and the department that he heads just do their job and investigate and/or prosecute it?

“With regard to Secretary Clinton and some of the comments I made, I do believe that that could place my objectivity in question,” Sessions said in response to committee Chairman Chuck Grassley’s, R-Iowa, asking whether he could approach a Clinton investigation “impartially.” Sessions added at the time, “I believe the proper thing for me to do would be to recuse myself from any questions involving those kind of investigations that involve Secretary Clinton and that were raised during the campaign or to be otherwise connected to it.”

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I think it’s because he is part of the swamp. He is involved in the Uranium One deal or something. This douchbag is just like the rest of them. The dems have something on him. Otherwise, why not prosecute. All he has done is recuse himself at every turn. I’m ticked.

I hope trump figures out what it is they have on sessions and fires his ass and strings him up along with every other guilty one.

I’m for the truth! Hang them all, dem republican, I don’t care.

I want treason to be an offense that gets death or serious jail time for these fruits that have sold out our country to line their pockets.

Term limits damnit!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
I think it’s because he is part of the swamp. He is involved in the Uranium One deal or something. This douchbag is just like the rest of them. The dems have something on him. Otherwise, why not prosecute. All he has done is recuse himself at every turn. I’m ticked.

I hope trump figures out what it is they have on sessions and fires his ass and strings him up along with every other guilty one.

I’m for the truth! Hang them all, dem republican, I don’t care.

I want treason to be an offense that gets death or serious jail time for these fruits that have sold out our country to line their pockets.

Term limits damnit!

Couldn't disagree, even if I try. Sessions has been a big disappointment, to put it mildly.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I read something a few weeks ago about him making the statement that he would recluse himself from anything dealing with Russia but it wasn't worth mentioning at the time.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Trump needs to permanently recuse his ass from the office he holds. If he is going to be compromised on every important issue that arises he is not able to do the job. GTFO, next.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
^^^^Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Judge Pirro for AG!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

Yeah, that's what we need. A liberal New Yorker heading the Justice Department.

I agree with your sentiment that Trump needs to shit-can Sessions, but Rudy is not the answer.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I'm pretty sure he recuse himself from having to pick toppings on a pizza at this point. What fucking good is he? I can't figure out why Trump hasn't moved on from him. It's not like Trump is afraid to fire someone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
He should put Christie in that role. He has the experience and would only have to recuse himself from issues involving ice cream and road closures.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Giuliani would be a disaster. During his time as Mayor, he took 19 1st Amendment cases to the Supreme Court. He lost 18 of them.
He also presided over 90% of the CCW holders in NYC having their licenses pulled on renewal and confiscation of (previously registered) long arms banned under the '94 AWB.
Screw that guy. He never met a part of the Bill of Rights that he wouldn't violate.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:

Giuliani would be a disaster. During his time as Mayor, he took 19 1st Amendment cases to the Supreme Court. He lost 18 of them.
He also presided over 90% of the CCW holders in NYC having their licenses pulled on renewal and confiscation of (previously registered) long arms banned under the '94 AWB.
Screw that guy. He never met a part of the Bill of Rights that he wouldn't violate.

Bruce

Not only this, but he has been in bed with the Clintons for decades and spoke glowingly of James Comey and his "honor".

With any luck at all, he'll never hold another position of power in our government.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Goodlatte's letter of 26 Sep 2017 is here:

https://goodlatte.house.gov/ne....aspx?DocumentID=978

a big chunk of the letter follows

During our FBI Oversight hearing last year, Congressman John Ratcliffe questioned the Director about this very issue. In part, that exchange was as follows:

Mr. RATCLIFFE. Director, did you make the decision not to recommend criminal charges relating to classified information before or after Hillary Clinton was interviewed by the FBI on July the 2nd?

Mr. COMEY. After.

Mr. RATCLIFFE. Okay. Then I am going to need your help in trying to understand how that is possible. I think there are a lot of prosecutors or former prosecutors that are shaking our heads at how that could be the case. Because if there was ever any real
possibility that Hillary Clinton might be charged for something that she admitted to on July the 2nd, why would two of the central
witnesses in a potential prosecution against her be allowed to sit in the same room to hear the testimony?

Why, indeed. Perhaps it was because, just as the Comey revelation suggests, the decision had already been made – prior to the interview of Secretary Clinton, Ms. Mills, Ms. Samuelson, or any of the other 14 potential witnesses – that Secretary Clinton would not be charged with any crimes for her conduct. President Obama had indicated as much, by stating publicly at the time that although Secretary Clinton showed “carelessness” in conducting government business on a private server, she had no intent to endanger national security. Of course, Secretary Clinton’s supposed lack of “intent to harm national security” is a red herring, since the law merely requires the government to show “gross negligence.”

Moreover, we note that not only did the former Director end the investigation prematurely -- and potentially at the direction, tacit or otherwise, of President Obama -- but he did so while declining to record the interviews of former Secretary Clinton or any of her close associates, as provided for by DOJ policy. The policy states:

This policy establishes a presumption that the Federal Bureauof Investigation (FBI), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), and the United States Marshals Service (USMS) will electronically record statements made by individuals in their custody.

This policy also encourages agents and prosecutors to consider electronic recording in investigative or other circumstances where
the presumption does not apply. The policy encourages agents and prosecutors to consult with each other in such circumstances.

Despite this, the DOJ and FBI declined to exercise their discretion to record the interview of former Secretary Clinton. This is truly inexplicable, given that the case was of keen national interest and importance, and involved a former Secretary of State and candidate for President of the United States who was accused of violating the Espionage Act. It only reinforces the sense that our nation’s top law enforcement officials conspired to sweep the Clinton “matter” under the rug, and that there is, truly, one system for the powerful and politically well-connected, and another for everyone else.

Posts: 19503 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
There is something very wrong with Sessions. Dems have something on him-- something-- I don't know what-- but he is just another brick in the wall.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

He employs thousands of law enforcement officers and attorneys. He, personally, does not need to be involved, but his department does.

This Special Counsel bullshit needs to stop and the Justice Department needs to start doing their jobs.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
follow up to above post about Goodlatte's letter. this is a 2014 article about the policy change to require recordings

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/0...-interrogations.html

MAY 22, 2014

The Justice Department said Thursday that the F.B.I. and other federal law enforcement agencies would be required to videotape interviews with suspects in most instances, bringing the federal government in line with the practices in many state and local jurisdictions.

It is one of the most significant changes in F.B.I. policy under James B. Comey, who took charge as the bureau’s director in September. Mr. Comey’s predecessor, Robert S. Mueller III, and senior bureau officials had once opposed the video requirement , saying the tapes could reveal agents’ interrogation tactics and discourage witnesses from talking.

A former United States attorney for Arizona, who had been fired in 2007 for his opposition to the F.B.I. policy, reached out to Mr. Comey’s chief of staff last year in the hope that he would change it.

The former official, Paul K. Charlton, said federal prosecutors were unnecessarily losing cases because they were unable to present to jurors the most damning evidence available to them: videotaped confessions.

Mr. Charlton argued that victims in many cases were not receiving equal treatment under the law, and he blamed the F.B.I.’s policy.

The policy was outlined in a 2006 memo by the F.B.I.’s general counsel and circulated to its 56 field offices. The memo forbade in most cases the use of recording equipment in interviews because it could discourage suspects from talking and could give jurors unfavorable impressions of agents .

2006. Muellar was FBI Director

The memo also said recordings could “interfere with and undermine the successful rapport-building interviewing technique which the F.B.I. practices.”

The new policy is similar to ones that many state and city prosecutors have used as recording technology has become more widely available and less expensive. It will go into effect in July and also applies to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Marshals Service.

“Creating an electronic record will ensure that we have an objective account of key investigations and interactions with people who are held in federal custody,” Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said in a video posted on the department’s website. “It will allow us to document that detained individuals are afforded their constitutionally protected rights.”

The Justice Department said Mr. Holder had instructed United States attorneys and agency field offices to begin training of prosecutors and agents in the policy.

Posts: 19503 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Robert S. Mueller ...opposed the video requirement ... because it could discourage suspects from talking and could give jurors unfavorable impressions of agents .

Yeah...there's a guy that I want protecting my rights. Roll Eyes