SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Healthy dinner, no protection needed. :+_
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Healthy dinner, no protection needed. :+_ Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
And Jeff, I'm not sure if it's a Dutch thing or just my parents but I always put a few good splashes of red wine vinegar on my vile weed, I mean broccoli.
If you're in this for the long haul and looking to change things up, you might like to try it. I love it.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

That was chicken, broccoli and avocado on the plate.

I went to make a salad and the lettuce was rotten so it was cucumber, green peppers, celery, tomato and a very small amount of onion. I seasoned it with white wine vinegar and pepper.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Thanks guys.

That was chicken, broccoli and avocado on the plate.

I went to make a salad and the lettuce was rotten so it was cucumber, green peppers, celery, tomato and a very small amount of onion. I seasoned it with white wine vinegar and pepper.

Good for you in your goal!

I actually prefer salads as you just described, sans the lettuce, in the summer with fresh tomatoes, a good salad to me is simply, tomatoes, onions, and olives, Italian dressing.

I weigh 172 lbs @ 5'9", and would simply like to get down 10 lbs. i feel much better in the 155-165 lb range.

Far easier to gain than lose weight, so hats off to you for putting your mind over hunger.

Sometimes I think most of us eat as a replex action. If we ate when we got truly hungry, and didn't eat larger amounts, our weight would be acceptable.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nice work jeff. Keep it up!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
That's awesome Jeff, keep it up!

In case you need some variety in your recipes, give this site a try:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

We have been using recipes from there for years. The best part is she is very conscious of making lower calorie/fat recipes taste great. Our kids even love them. We had the turkey meatloaf last night and there wasn't a crumb left. We've used dozens of these recipes and they are in our regular rotation.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Needs more steamed broccoli - If there were more, you'd be needing protection from me. Love that stuff.

Congratulations on the early success on your weight loss journey. Keep it up!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your loss, I'm going to share some insight from a lifetime of weight problems, I'm not trying too knock what you are doing. First, low calorie diets are not sustainable long term for most people. It needs to be a lifestyle change to maintain long term, not a diet as we know it. Yo-yo dieting is bad for the body, I have gall stones that can be attributed to my dieting over my lifetime and yo-yo weight loss/gain.
I have tried every diet you can think of and eventually I couldn't live long term on those diets. I started eating Paleo two months ago and I'm dropping weight with minimal exercise (I lift weights 2-3 days a week) and I eat when I'm hungry. I can eat steak, bacon, sausage etc. There are some major limitations (no wheat, dairy, sugar etc.) but after the first two weeks I got used to it. I've finally found something I can stick to long term that allows me to eat well (and not starve myself) while improving my health. I'll get bloodwork next month to see if I've improved cholesterol and other things.
Now you'll hear a million ideas on weight loss but it boils down to burning more calories than you consume. With me I have a very slow metabolism, I can easily pack on 20-30 pounds a month eating the same foods my friends eat yet they are normal weight. It takes 6-8 months of hard work to drop the same weight for me. I've know others that reduced their eating minimally yet lost mucho weight. Find something you can live with long term that works for you and stick with it.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty good flatbread substitute:

http://blog.paleohacks.com/flatbread-recipe/

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Needs more steamed broccoli - If there were more, you'd be needing protection from me. Love that stuff.

If you want to jazz up the steamed broccoli, a spritz of balsamic vinegar goes well. It doesn't need much. When you're down on weight, and want a little something more on it, a couple of small shavings of hard cheese can add a lot with very little amounts.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
If you are doing low carb, you need this cookbook: Eat Happy by Anna Vocino

I've been low carb since December. Made a few of her recipes. They are GREAT.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Great Job Jeff

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
If you want to jazz up the steamed broccoli, a spritz of balsamic vinegar goes well.

Me and Koon Chun Diluted Red Vinegar go way back. About a decade, to when I first started eating steamed greens. When the non-english-speaking employees of the local greasy-chopstick lunch counter see me dousing my greens with their vinegar or chasing a mouthful of pork with a spoon of vinegar, they smile widely and approvingly. "Very good for the core", they universally proclaim, gesturing to their abdomens.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post