SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please help with contractor advice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help with contractor advice. Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
During recent heavy rains with Florence we had water leak in from roof over breakfast nook.
It's a copper roof that butts up against a brick wall.

Called a realtor neighbor for advice on contractors. She provided names of a roofing and drywall contractors she uses.

Told the roofer I thought flashing might have been installed improperly and wanted it fixed.
I also wanted a similar style roof on the front of the house fixed as well.
He indicated it would take about 8 hours for both and quoted me $750.

One of his guys showed up and spent about 1.5 hour standing around seemingly waiting on someone.
Nobody showed up and he worked by himself, while I was in the house doing my own work.

I came out about noon and the guy was gone.
From what I saw it appeared he spent about 2 hours pulling off sealant and replacing it.
That's all I think he did.
When he showed up to collect, I told him his guy was only here for 2 hours (work time).
I paid him $550 and felt ripped-off.

Had the ceiling replaced fixed for $480 which seemed like a good deal for work done.

Now this ne w hurricane is dropping heavy water on Charlotte and my roof is leaking.

Need to get the roof fixed and ceiling repaired again after it stops raining.

How do I deal with the roofer and do I even let him touch my house again?

Please help, I am so pissed.

Yes I should have known better, guessing uninsured unlicensed Mexican.
I just did not know where to go for a contractor.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your situation. Your last two sentences pretty much summed it up.

Since I'm not familiar with your area I would call the local home builders association and ask for a list of their roofing members. From that list I would go to your local BBB and qualify them. From that short list I would pick no more than three for an estimate. When you interview them I would ask about their warranty.

If you go through all that you should be able to find a company that will stand behind their work and do a quality job.

In my experience chimney flashing can be a tricky job that should include removing some of the grout and having the flashing inserted in the crack followed by a proper sealant.
We have also, in some instances had to use a sealer on the brick as brick is very porous and will absorb a lot of water ...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find another roofer. A licensed one. I've found contractors by googling the type I'm looking for and look at the reviews and ratings on them. Usually the ratings are fairly accurate if they have 10 or more. Wait to fix the ceiling until after the roof is fixed and after it rains hard a time or two.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post