SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats off to FedEx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats off to FedEx Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
While contemplating our return to Montana after wintering in Florida, we figured we had too much stuff to bring home in our SUV. Plus, nobody thinks of the consequences of having 500# behind the front seats in the event of an accident.

Anyway, we bought a medium moving box at Home Depot and packed it full of volume taking stuff. when sealed, it weighed in at 60#. I checked prices at USPS, UPS and FedEx and FedEx was the cheapest and I also wouldn't dream of sending it USPS.

The box beat us back and was in perfect shape. Not a cut, scratch, dent, or mark on the box. It looked like it rode shotgun in our Passport.

Thanks, FedEx.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I've done the same often going on vacation. I ask the owner of the destination if I may do so, and usually they say yes.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Maybe FedEx is upping their game?

For the longest time FedEx was the premier shipping company. "When it absolutely, positively needs to be there overnight." Then they bought Roadway Package Systems and created FedEx Ground from it. Ever since then FedEx hasn't been the FedEx it once was.

But now I'm hearing increasingly frequent reports of good experiences with FedEx. With USPS dropping the ball, badly, now would be a good time for the others to up their game.

Reminds me of a funny, kind-of-related story. I was in a local watering hole about the time of either Desert Shield or Desert Storm (don't recall which). There was a small group of soldiers dressed in civvies there. One of 'em wearing a tee shirt that read "U.S. Marines: When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I routinely ship items through UPS for business purposes and have been doing it for personal items recently. The USPS is crap.

However a lot of items I've been getting recently are coming FedEx and every box looks like it just came off the shelf - even after being in transit for two weeks.

They are stepping up their game.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
FedEx around here still sucks.

Packages nowhere in site, but marked as delivered.

Getting stuck at a depot for a week

Looking like they dropped them from a plane

Marked businesses as closed when it was just door locked due to covid requirements - with a giant sign that said "open, you have to knock"

No notification when you have them leave it at a FedEx drop off site.

I can probably come up with more.

If I had to pick I would use UPS, USPS, Spee-dee, then FedEx

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the opposite. I beg people to not use FedEx to send me anything.
Right this minute, there is a very small package sitting in Memphis. It has been there for 6 days. I called FedEx yesterday to find out why it's not moving. "Volume" was their answer. "Have the shipper recall the package and send a new one" was their solution. I was dumbfounded. I offered "But, if 'volume' is the problem, isn't adding a recall and a reship into the system the last thing we would want to do?" The CS rep could only say "That's my only solution. Or wait."
So, Brownells is doing a recall and reship.
I hate FedEx.

I'm glad they are giving someone good service Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a small package somewhere in FedEx limbo land. Maybe it's in Memphis

So far, it's one week delivery from Southern California to Tucson. I may see it on Monday?

lately, I'm having more luck with USPS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
As an FYI, FedEx Ground is absolute crap in Myrtle Beach.

Send it USPS, instead. Total, completely, and utterly worthless.

Frankly, their overnight service has gone downhill quite a bit, as well. (We have a company rate - because of that, somehow, we’ve stopped getting refunds when they miss their delivery window.)

It’s the dishonesty of those windows whihc drives me nuts. “Hopefully,” and “Best case” are useless terms, which no one needs to hear.

“Barring acts of God or war, will be done by” are what businesses need to know.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I had something expensive sent and they would only send FedEx. I insisted on Signature Required to cut down on the possibility of thievery by my driver. I waited all day for it and saw the truck pull up. He ran up the walk, tossed it at the door and went to run away. I came out and said "What about the signature?!". He said "Coronavirus. We have suspended that".

I swear, when I am King, heads on pikes.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
While contemplating our return to Montana after wintering in Florida, we figured we had too much stuff to bring home in our SUV. Plus, nobody thinks of the consequences of having 500# behind the front seats in the event of an accident.

Anyway, we bought a medium moving box at Home Depot and packed it full of volume taking stuff. when sealed, it weighed in at 60#. I checked prices at USPS, UPS and FedEx and FedEx was the cheapest and I also wouldn't dream of sending it USPS.

The box beat us back and was in perfect shape. Not a cut, scratch, dent, or mark on the box. It looked like it rode shotgun in our Passport.

Thanks, FedEx.
I did that one year when we went skiing in Vermont. The cost of additional baggage was way more than shipping all our ski gear to the UPS store in Stowe, and then back to our home in Florida.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I held off initially, but since it is a dogpile...

Years ago I spent the first thirteen months at a tech company in support and did a *lot* of shipping. Had very, very few issues with UPS (one or two IIRC) and none with FedEx except the standard where I called the company with the tracking number, they told me “It was signed for by Joe in shipping three days ago.”, and the customer was off to chew ass in his own shipping department. Then I moved here. I’d swear FedEx can’t find their butt with both hands and a map. Ground is actually better than next day air, but ground still sucks. For a time I wouldn’t buy anything from anyone who couldn’t use an alternate shipper. USPS is *much* preferred to FedEx. They seemed to be doing a little better for a while, but it never lasts.

I’ve recently cycled through our four inverters, send one at a time back to OutBack in Phoenix for service. I ship UPS ground, sometimes after 4pm, and they deliver it the next day. OutBack ships back FedEx, who makes a two day delivery commitment. They actually managed the two days for the first three inverters, but instead of delivery the fourth on Friday as committed, it didn’t show up until the next week.

If you want cheap and timing doesn’t matter, 1-800-GO-FEDEX is for you. If you care about it getting there timely, you’re better off with UPS.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
This year alone fedex misplaced a pistol and an ar lower. I only use fedex when I have no other choice. I hate when I purchase from private party who ships via fedex.

Usps has been better but not perfect. They sent a lower from NY to FLA then on to CT. They told me thats how they handle over flow when they are backed up....

Never had issue with UPS.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
IMO, it seems to be depending on the individual workers who handled your items rather than the entire company as a whole.

I've had them leave two guns on two different occasions, left on my doorstep without even a knock or the required signature to release. I was home all day both times.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to retract my earlier statement about FedEx. They still suck. $500 package, merely 150 miles away. Should have been here today. Check status. It's now 600 miles away.

Just called FedEx. Turned out it was FedEx Ground--just as I expected. Was like pulling teeth to get a live human being. Informed them that if it won't be here tomorrow they might as well just send it back to the sender right now, as I will be refusing delivery.

Next I will be calling the sender and informing them of same.

If I'd known they were going to use FedEx Ground I'd never have ordered it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Maybe FedEx is upping their game?

For the longest time FedEx was the premier shipping company. "When it absolutely, positively needs to be there overnight." Then they bought Roadway Package Systems and created FedEx Ground from it. Ever since then FedEx hasn't been the FedEx it once was.

FedEx Express, the overnight company, is still the same caliber you remember for things that "absolutely, positively need to be there overnight."

FedEx Ground is an entirely different company - their informal slogan is "When it absolutely, positively does NOT need to be there overnight." They bought RPS because someone thought this internet commerce thing might take off (good call) but all FXG does is move packages from one hub to another. All of the pickup and delivery is done by independent contractors who are contracted to service a particular geographic area. The contractors supply the trucks and drivers and are responsible for moving packages from the hub to their destination and vice versa. This structure is why you see such a significant variance in service because some contractors are better than others. The contracts can be very lucrative so competition tends to produce better service, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
FedEx Ground is an entirely different company - their informal slogan is "When it absolutely, positively does NOT need to be there overnight."

More like "When you absolutely, positively don't care when, or even if, it gets there."

quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
... all FXG does is move packages from one hub to another.

Apparently they're incapable of doing even that competently, because they sat on it for two days in Utah, got it w/in 150 miles of me, then sent it 600 miles in the wrong direction.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I ordered a case of 9mm on Monday and Fed-Ex delivered it this afternoon. It came about 500 miles or so.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow, they might actually beat my deadline. My package is now merely 82 miles away.

OTOH, the status is also "Scheduled delivery: Pending," so God only knows where they'll send it next

Update

Much to my surprise: FedEx Ground actually sent the package in the right direction sometime overnight, it was out for delivery first thing this morning, and delivered around 14:00 or so this afternoon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

posted Hide Post
I placed an order with Chewy at noon on Sunday.

FedEx Ground delivered it today, Monday, at 3PM.

I'm happy!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't complain about FedEx Ground, they come through consistently. But I am in small town WNY with a Service Center at the Airport relatively close.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post