SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iphone 7 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iphone 7 question Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Does anyone here own a IPhone 7 and have issues with the mic? My mic seems to be pretty crappy on calls where people can't hear me. It isn't service related because it does it even in great service areas. How do I check the mic to make sure it isn't damaged or dirty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Please don't take this the wrong way...
My wife seemed to have the same problem, but not on the 7.
Anyway, after months of her complaining and me having a hard time hearing her I checked it out and watched her use it... she was holding it wrong, with her pinky finger covering the main mic.

I do inspect and clean out all of the screens on my phone a few times a year, it gets full of gunk / lint.

EDIT to add:
You might try playing with the noise cancellation setting.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Iphone 7 user with no Mic issues.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does anyone here own a IPhone 7 and have issues with the mic? My mic seems to be pretty crappy on calls where people can't hear me. It isn't service related because it does it even in great service areas. How do I check the mic to make sure it isn't damaged or dirty?

My mom had this problem. We all thought she was using the phone wrong, but eventually figured out that as the phone heated up, the mic started fading in and out. Apple has replaced her 7 twice for this issue, and so far phone number 3 has been working as advertised.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JJexp, very interesting. The phone worked fine for months. I guess I'll have apple check it out.

There is defiantly something going on with it. When I record videos it sounds muffled, almost like it's filming underwater but occasionally the sound will clear and be perfect then after a second or two it goes back to poor audio quality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't do well when I try to hold it to my ear using my shoulder. Otherwise fine.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine operates fine. Guy I work with started having problems when his Otterbox broke and he inherited a different case that was "blocking" the mic hole.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried rebooting it? Turn it off for a minute then turn it back on. See if that fixes it.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
No issues with mine from day one. I've asked people if they hear me clearly when using the speaker set up and most say "you're on the speaker? you sound perfect" And I usually just lay it on my desk and sit normally in my chair. No bending down or trying to get close to the speaker.

There are some setting regarding noise cancellation under General>Accessibility>Phone Noise Cancellation. Maybe play with that a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
No mike issues but my ear tends to press the hold/mute button if I do not hold the phone away from my face.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 7 and I am constantly having problems with the mic. My phone is always in a pelican marine case and that seems to be the source of the problem.

When I make a call the other person cannot hear me talking. I have found that once I make the call I put it on speaker then take it off and that seems to solve the problem. I have replaced the phone and pelican has sent replacement cases and the problem still persists.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post