SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI:
The majority of burglaries I have investigated were committed in daylight hours. Not all, but most of them.
So... if you see people or cars cruising your neighborhoods during the day, don't be quick to dismiss your suspicions!

My house was burglarized during the workweek, in a four hour long daily "window" where my girlfriend at the time and my work schedules overlapped.They even had the audacity to "tag" the back of the house with spray paint.

I'm glad I wasn't home at the time, and used it as a lesson for the need for proper security.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Unfortunately the son is probably going to have some emotional issues from the entire episode for a long time.

I’m curious why you believe that. Do you have any studies or data that support such an idea?

I’ve read a number of articles and a book or two about the effects of killing someone on police officers and others and one thing they strongly agree on is that the psychological effects of an incident like that are largely dependent upon one’s expectation of what the effects will be.

If one’s family, friends, and especially one’s peers treat it as something that should be psychologically devastating—and double especially if the person himself believes that it should be—then it probably will be disturbing. On the other hand, if they’re prepared intellectually and emotionally to accept that it might be necessary to defend themselves and others, then it usually isn’t. That’s why in the classes I teach I stress to students that they must consider in advance of an incident whether they’re willing to kill someone in self-defense.

In this case, and unlike the incidents in which someone who is probably relatively unfamiliar with guns or the concept of self-defense kills someone, the shooter was 23 years old (hardly a “kid”) and had an AR-15 available as a defensive weapon. Further, he was in a family home with another occupant. And although we can only speculate about what happened, the story was that words were exchanged before the shooting. I’d bet a nickel that those words included some defiant threats by the invaders to the effect of, “Yeah, we’re not afraid of you and your little gun; we’re going to take it away from you and shove it up your ass.”

If criminals don’t immediately turn and flee as fast as possible at the sight of a gun, that tends to be the sort of thing that happens, especially with young men whose brains aren’t fully developed and who probably have had little experience with serious violence. Such a threat would make it more likely that the shooter would feel he had no choice but to defend himself.

I could of course be wrong about all this. If someone has self-doubts about being able to deal rationally with the aftermath of a defensive incident, he should obviously give serious consideration to what the appropriate action should be if faced with such a threat.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm saving this article for when one of my idiot liberal friends spouts off on social media about how "no one needs an AR15" and how the AR "has no viable use in society".

Also, I'm glad they are dead. Every thief who invades a home should be executed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Unfortunately the son is probably going to have some emotional issues from the entire episode for a long time.

I’m curious why you believe that. Do you have any studies or data that support such an idea?

Interestingly, I think a large amount of the "trauma" is programmed by what society, TV, movies, etc have "taught" us about how we're supposed to feel.

I also find it interesting that all the concealed carry organizations, internet pundits, gun writers, etc tell you that if you use deadly force, you going to get arrested, blah, blah, blah....but yet, each time there is a good shoot in a free state, nothing happens. All of their scare tactics to sell memberships, sell magazines, mean absolutely nothing. But, the "UR gonna go to jail" boogeyman keeps being repeated.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What a coincidence! That's the very same picture on page 2 of this thread!!

What the fuck, guys?
Oops, sorry! Short term memory is shot.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Broken Arrow is a very nice area. Bass Pro nearby.
Glad the victims are safe, and 4 thugabees are off the street.

Wish he would've taken some time and consulted lawyer first prior to giving a statement though.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
You have a knife? Brass Knuckles? The guy has a AR?
You exchange words? you do not kneel? you do not beg for forgiveness? You do not offer servitude for your past transgressions? You do not grovel? Holy geez son, This is a bag of stupid.
so now you are DRT, and your chain of poor decision making, and the for shit worldview that put you in this house with a knife and brass knuckles, utterly failed you when you did have a brief moment to reflect and maybe not die. (sorry for the R/O sentence).
Well . . . Bye
You wasted your life and no one will remember your name.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Interestingly, I think a large amount of the "trauma" is programmed by what society, TV, movies, etc have "taught" us about how we're supposed to feel.

I also find it interesting that all the concealed carry organizations, internet pundits, gun writers, etc tell you that if you use deadly force, you going to get arrested, blah, blah, blah....but yet, each time there is a good shoot in a free state, nothing happens. All of their scare tactics to sell memberships, sell magazines, mean absolutely nothing. But, the "UR gonna go to jail" boogeyman keeps being repeated.

I do understand where you are coming from with reference to the concealed carry enthusiasts claiming you are going to jail. However each and every lawyer with whom I have talked prefer that the shooter say nothing until he is legally represented. Following that each peace officer with whom I have had a conversation about this subject have stated that if the shooter refuses to make any statement the shooter is going downtown (arrest?).

I do not wish to provoke an argument, but in your experience do you think that if a shooter follows an attorneys initial advice and says nothing, the police will not arrest?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I love Frank Proctor.
"Shot all alphas....whats uuuuup"

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Highway:
[O]ne sprinted off and made it as far as the driveway. Had to have been quick and accurate shooting on his part.

If you’re suggesting that the one who was found outside was shot as he was running away, that could be very problematic for the self-defender, but nothing has been reported about charges thus far and as already mentioned it helps if one is in a free state.

In any event, not too many people continue being a nuisance after one good center of mass hit with a 223/5.56 bullet, but it’s not impossible to suffer a fatal wound and make it some distance (such as out the door onto the driveway) before collapsing and dying.

(I don’t, BTW, agree with the claim in one linked video that it might be necessary to shoot someone a half dozen times in the chest with an AR to put him down. That might be necessary if the creature is a Delta ninja SEAL Spetsnaz SAS loadmaster with Terminator innards, but not too likely for someone who’s invading one’s house.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
jljones.....your post/video jacked up the thread. At least for me.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This article indicates the other person who was home at the time is the shooter's father. Initial reports suggested it was a teenager who grabbed dad's AR, but this now does not appear to be the case.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Good on the kid, I bet it will be a long time before there are burglaries in that neighborhood or town. This will make all idiots think before they commit burglary.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a little late to ask three of them, and the fourth looks about as bright as a fish.

Yup, and judging from the mugshot, she's barely 4'10". She's a pint sized wad of nothingness, and her world as she knew it has ended. Someone will probably also need to explain to her that any of the loot that she and her "associates" had collected prior to this incident is not hers and will have to be forfeited. This will likely come as a shock as well.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Getaway driver's name is Elizabeth Marie Rodriguez.

From February of this year:

Elizabeth Marie Rodriguez, 21, of 4390 E. 380 Road, Talala, was arrested Feb. 2 at 3701 S. Elm Place, for petit larceny.

Grocery store in Broken Arrow---shoplifting charge.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Quote - 'Mahoney said the events were surprising, considering Wagoner County’s relatively low crime rate.'

I predict that they are going to be even lower after this episode.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Well, good ole Lizzy, who must have been chosen for her mad driving skillz and not her brains, probably never heard of the felony murder law.

Unless someone had a good picture of her plates I can't imagine just turning herself in.

Burglary and 3 lives lost. I bet she doesn't do 10 years...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope his hearing is undamaged.

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Puddle Pirate
Picture of kornesque
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I hope his hearing is undamaged.

I doubt he remembers hearing any gunfire but probably can't quite hear the same as earlier that day.

Good on you man, hope you can sleep soundly again sooner rather than later.

"Happiness is red and free."

Posts: 1794 | Location: Low Country, SC | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post